Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 920XT + Garmin 500 or Garmin 510?
Quote | Reply
I wasn't sure how to search for a thread like this in the forum, so hopefully it's not a super repetitive question.

I have a Garmin 920XT which I really like and have been using on the bike, however it's kinda small and has very little fields all at once. I want to buy a Garmin Edge 500 or Garmin Edge 510. My question is regarding what data both of those Edge have if any that the 920XT does not have. And can I get away with simply having the Edge 500? I'm a fan of bluetooth updates after a workout, so the 510 wins there. BUT, if I set my 920xt to record, couldn't I use the Edge 500 and simply not save the rides? The downside is having to wear my 920XT on every ride, but that's not too bad of a drawback.

Thoughts? Thanks for your help and opinions?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920XT + Garmin 500 or Garmin 510? [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride with a 510 only. In a triathlon, I just set my 910 to run mode. I'm not a fan of buying old technology, so I'd get the 520. The Strava updates look really cool

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Nov 26, 15 15:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding for a while with the 920 + the 500.

I like the 500 just fine. I saw little in the 510 that made me want to upgrade. If you really wanted something from this series I would probably go either 520 or 500 and skip the 510.

What does the 510 give you over the 500? Color touch screen, wireless and GLONASS. To me, only the GLONASS is significant enough to matter, particularly if I've already got the 920. And frankly, I hate touch screens. The 520 jettisons the touch screen and goes back to good ole buttons. The 520 adds a whole lot of software features too but none of them really matter to me.

So I would say if price is your consideration, go with the 500. You'll be fine. If you want new stuff, go with the 520.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a 920 and an 810.

While training I just use the 810 on the bike. The 500 or 510 would do just fine as well

When I do a triathlon I use both the 920 and 810 just because I have the watch on from the swim. One of the files I mark in Garmin Connect as uncategorized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had nothing but trouble with the 920xt on the run, and I can no longer get it to sync with Garmin connect or even sign in to my account- I find it an expensive piece of frustration
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train and race with 920xt and Edge 500.
Work well for me. On tri's I turn off battery save on the 500 and have it ready on the bike.
I still use the 920 in tri mode mode just that i keep it on the arm and only watch the 500 on the bike.
Also like to have couple more fields on the 500 during the bike.

I would go for the 520. If price is an factor the 500.
Dont think the 510 gives anything that worth over the 500.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920XT + Garmin 500 or Garmin 510? [SweMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using my Edge 500 for several years and haven't seen reason enough to upgrade. On the other hand I have gone from the Forerunner 310XT to the 910XT to the 920XT which I have now, which have had much more significant changes through the years. Save your self some cash.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920XT + Garmin 500 or Garmin 510? [Woodchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had minor trouble with it when I went on vacation to Europe, it wouldn't sync either. A few on/off times later, it began syncing again, but could never pinpoint the problem. It hasn't had any issues ever since. Hopefully it gets all sorted out for you my friend.

Thanks for everybody's input so far!
Quote Reply