Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [CarbonManFrance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is spot on and very helpful. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [DeptfordTony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some questions for folks who claim that the cleaning procedure fixed their barometric altimeter.

My third or fourth 910XT exhibited the dreaded 65536ft elevation flatline yesterday after a swim. I have a race this weekend, so I decided to try the cleaning fix. It didn't work until I removed the quick release back and stuck something in the second hole, which is obscured by the QR back. That made the elevation go to "------" and when I got GPS, it started showing a plausible elevation. However, I don't think it's using the barometric altimeter now. I think it's using GPS for elevation.

When I go to the diagnostic screen, as described in the thread, all the baro values show "-----". If you press mode again, for the 8th time, you get another screen with baro values (C0-C7). These are all stuck on FFFF for me, and the message at the bottom of that screen says something like baro valid - no.

So for those who fixed their Garmin by cleaning it, do you get elevation values when indoors with no GPS? Mine will show "-----" in the elevation field until it gets enough satellites to estimate elevation.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [kokketiel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I just tried this (the toothbrush cleaning) and now my unit won't turn on. If I hook it to the charger, I get a "charging -1%". No other activity. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [kokketiel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I have partially the same issue. After washing elevation data are available only after GPS satellites are found and not when GPS is disabled.
If GPS signal is lost elevation data keep on showing.
Bu in diagnostic mode I do get
baro valid - yes
C0-C7 are not stuck on FFFF but on other values
baro values show 0 rather than -----
Regards
M

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [dsheldo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clip and a device that wouldn't turn on.

Garmin support would only facilitate an out of warranty replacement for £150 :-(.

So I also read that it can cause a short circuit and it's possible to take it apart and clean out the gel (white paste) from the barometer unit and the unit would start working. Well I didn't have a lot to lose, now it's broken.

Anyway needless to say that was a further mistake and the unit is now completely broken as the solder joints on the cable connecting the two halves of the unit together internally is partly pulled off as had to rip it apart as it is properly glued together. That's never going to re-solder as they are tiny tiny connections.

Only positive is that I was able to see what had happened to the barometer unit. Sticking the pin in had pulled off one of the tiny chips from the circuit board and thus had already caused significant damage. It will also damage the gel which is used to waterproof the internals but still allow atmospheric pressure to register.

I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND NOT USING A PIN! Huge mistake and I now have to make up my mind if I want to purchase a replacement.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [mrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good advice. The pin broke mine, but I was able to get an in-warranty replacement (third one). Too bad, because a broken unit would've been a nice excuse to buy the 920xt. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [CarbonManFrance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I tried cleaning the barometer last night as the instructions said and it seemed to have worked. After the cleaning I ran the garmin in bike mode for a couple of minutes and then uploaded and elevation was fixed! This morning went to swim and tried turning it on and no dice, weird as it had 2 bars last night of charge. Plugged it in and it had -1% charge, after 30 mins unit then said it had 100% charge but when I tried to turn it on the battery bar had nothing. Called Garmin this morning and trouble shooted for about 15 mins. Now they are replacing the unit for free with a brand new one. Tried to upgrade to the 920xt for a fee but they said it wasn't available yet for that, oh well. Pretty happy albeit not garmin this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [hvywghttrigy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had this exact same experience with my 910, but had to pay the out-of warranty replacement fee. Mine was 2 years old and was a warranty replacement already as it was so I was happy enough with that solution as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This worked for me too. Mine had been working fine for a few years and just recently started having elevation issues. Washed it with mildly soapy water and a toothbrush and now my workouts are back at ground level.

TriSliceRS wrote:
earlier this year my original 910xt (watch #1) stopped recording elevation correctly (as stated above). I got a warranty return and got a replacement (watch #2), which unfortunately had a very sticky button and was promptly returned. Watch #3 worked great for a month then elevations stopped working again. I swim daily, bike and run frequently...

I emailed Garmin and was about to send it back, before I came up with the idea to WASH MY 910XT. I put it in a warm water soapy bowl, and using a clean/unused toothbrush brushed the two barometer vent holes. And... it worked (recorded elevation changes) again! I recommend cleaning, it might be sweat, chlorine, river scum, sunscreen.. but that will be my first approach next time this happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [mwilbanks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip. This worked for me too.

I still don't understand, why it is not possible to just turn the barometric altitude measurement off, though.
Quote Reply

Prev Next