Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 820 elevation inconsistency
Quote | Reply
I have been trying to fix my 820 elevation problems. My 820 is nowhere near any reasonable elevation readings. They are not consistently off either. Sometimes I'm plus 1000+ ft or other times I'm below +1000ft. When I upload to Strava, my elevation charts are nothing like what they should be, until I correct elevation. I have tried to calibrate it, but when I manually set elevation, at my desired elevation, it automatically goes back to being triple the elevation. I sit at 250 meters above sea level, which tried to manually set. When I hit the check to make the change, it goes back to the next screen and says anywhere from 970-990 meters. The number also fluctuates as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 820 elevation inconsistency [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While the electronic altimeter may have an issue in your unit, I would perform a factory reset on your unit if not already. Go ahead and activate all the satellites on your device. You don't need to manually set elevation, just see what is reported on your device after turning the unit on (outdoors). If its still reading 3X what it should, then you need to call Garmin. Their customer support is decent.

I don't know how Strava handles Garmin data but some of these off beat websites do not use data directly from the Garmin unit for some reason. They do a topographical correction and report this figure (MapmyRide does this). This is rarely accurate. The data you read on your Garmin is the most accurate data and, if it's not correct then there is an issue with the unit.
Last edited by: NealH: Jun 20, 17 17:06
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 820 elevation inconsistency [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's some fun backyard science I did with the 820 in regards to the elevation readings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPyEtZH3QaU

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply