Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 735xt - the good, the bad.
Quote | Reply
So. I thought I'd solved my Garmin Forerunner issues. As a swimmer, I've quickly killed the barometer on my 910XT and 920XT. I've sent both watches in 1-3 times to be replaced under warranty. A year ago (i.e. May) was the last time I had the 920XT replaced. It lasted until October (barometer failure again - five months). I called up a few weeks ago and asked to have it replaced. During the conversation, the support tech suggested I put duct tape over the barometer vent "since you swim so much". Ugh. So, rather than get a replacement again, I worked with the rep and found (finally) a Garmin without the barometer function. Yahoo.

The 735xt arrived, and I was off to my IM70.3. The watch was amazing. For two weeks.

At perhaps my 2nd or 3rd charge, the watch face light came on. Permanently. It now is non functional. When it eventually reboots it goes straight to the 'diagnostic' screen. The left "down" button doesn't work.

I called Garmin, and they are sending me a replacement. Again. A quick Google suggests this isn't unheard of. The Garmin forum has a few with non functioning random buttons and non response.

Very frustrated with Garmin right now. Let's see how long the replacement lasts.

Quote | Reply
Salt or fresh (albeit chlorinated) water swims? My 920xt barometer failed similarly; based on online chatter I assumed because of sporadic saltwater swims, apparently salt crystals can form in the altimeter sensor and ruin it. Thankfully I was just within the warranty period, and Garmin replaced it with one of their semi-refurbished, semi-new units.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 735xt - the good, the bad. [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a run of bad luck. I had an issue with altimeter on my 920, I cleaned out the two little holes on the watch and it worked fine. I just got the 935, but had the 735 for the last year and never had an issue with it. It was the best Garmin watch I have had...and I have had pretty much all of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my 735XT on my wrist for 10 months now. Swims, bikes, runs, banging it against things. Works perfectly. Holds a charge at least 10 days. If it died, I'd go out and buy a new one. You must have just got a dud.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 735xt - the good, the bad. [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Salt or fresh (albeit chlorinated) water swims?

No Salt. For the 920XT. Mostly pool, and some river swims.

Don't get me wrong, the 735XT has a lot of promise. I love that it holds a better charge. Let's hope the new one works out.

Quote | Reply
TriSliceRS wrote:
niccolo wrote:
Salt or fresh (albeit chlorinated) water swims?

No Salt. For the 920XT. Mostly pool, and some river swims.

Don't get me wrong, the 735XT has a lot of promise. I love that it holds a better charge. Let's hope the new one works out.

Huh, I hadn't heard of non-salt water swims damaging the altimeter. I suppose various salts could build up in a regular or "salt water" pool, too.

What do you mean by better charge? I thought the big knock against the 735 is that it couldn't hold an Ironman-length charge (at least not for those of us who are MOP).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my husband has had the same frustration with garmin. he has tried just about everyone of the high end models at least twice and after about 2 weeks, they fail. they just keep replacing them. and the customer service department is very challenging. he has finally giving up. plus he is on their do not call this customer's list back. i hope you have better luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 735xt - the good, the bad. [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
I've had my 735XT on my wrist for 10 months now. Swims, bikes, runs, banging it against things. Works perfectly. Holds a charge at least 10 days. If it died, I'd go out and buy a new one. You must have just got a dud.

Same here. The only issues I've had with it were solved by restarting it. That's happened two or three times.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the review!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 735xt - the good, the bad. [mikereeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ive had mine for almost a year and i havent had a single problem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only issue I've had with mine (and it just might be operator error) is that it doesn't pick up sensors once the watch has been started - i.e. in a recent tri, the watch didn't pick up my power meter in the cycling leg. On a bike ride, I'll make sure they're paired before starting the 735xt and it works fine.

Other than that, it's probably the best Garmin I've owned.

Stuart

===
iSMARTtrain - Mac training software for Garmin, SRM, PowerTap & Polar
http://www.ismarttrain.com
Quote Reply