Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 510 - battery life
Quote | Reply
I have a 32 hour ride this weekend in Iowa and I am going with the 510. What is the best way to get the max 20 hour battery life, or close there of. I will be riding a mtb with no power meter, heart rate monitor or any other devices. Basically, if it tells speed, avg speed, distance and time, I'm good. Thoughts?

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 510 - battery life [triscooteremu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe contact Garmin customer support.

TEAMFIREFIGHTER.com
STRIVE Omni Sport.com
Get Busy Living - or - Get Busy Dying
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triscooteremu wrote:
I have a 32 hour ride this weekend in Iowa and I am going with the 510. What is the best way to get the max 20 hour battery life, or close there of. I will be riding a mtb with no power meter, heart rate monitor or any other devices. Basically, if it tells speed, avg speed, distance and time, I'm good. Thoughts?

I'm interested in the answer to this as well. I would say turn off the GPS? But that would give inaccurate readings for calorie intake unless you have a power meter, which you don't have.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 510 - battery life [Shortsocks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I dont have anything else to calculate speed, wouldn't turning off the GPS take out all the needed data fields? I didn't indicate that I in the first email. Sorry about that.

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, you don't have a cadence reader as well? I'm pretty sure you can leave the cadence on and get speed...that would, I'm guessing with the GPS, sensor turned off increase battery time.

But I've noticed without cadence/speed sensor the lag time in speed recording drives me nuts, huge lag time. I'll be flying down a hill and speed hasn't caught up with me. Very distracting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't the 510 charge using a Mini USB port? If so maybe you can use something like this to extend the life.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Compact-Lipstick-Sized-Smartphones-Adapters-Lightning/dp/B00EETOTWS/ref=pd_sim_cps_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JBNMAPZ5CSY6WTTK3J9

I assume you aren't riding 32 hours in a row, so you can bring a couple with you and recharge your Garmin each night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a 510, so I can't test this myself, but other garmin units last around 2.5x the published battery spec when the GPS radio is off. So if you have a speed/cadence sensor, you should be more than fine, but you have to leave the GPS off. If you want GPS, I'd see if the Garmin allows charging when in use. Will you be stopping during this 32-hour ride? You could carry a portable USB charger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's going to be difficult if you need the back light turned on during the night portion of your ride. I might suggest borrowing another Garmin 500/510/etc and splitting it into two 16 hour files. I'm guessing you can probably go in and merge the two files together post ride somehow.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 510 - battery life [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a portable charger that provides 2.5 charges for it so even 11 to 12 hours on one charge, I should be good. I was looking for little things I can turn off on the unit.

I do agree though that a cadence sensor would help immensely. But I don't think they are waterproof.

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Garmin GSC-10 is IPX-7 water resistant, per the manual.

http://static.garmincdn.com/...ns_Multilingual_.pdf
Quote Reply