Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 500/800 NP, IF, TSS firmware update? [SCOTTinNJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're all very welcome for this update, btw. I got tired of waiting for it so that I could buy a 500 (wanted NP, etc on my display), so I finally pulled the trigger on the 800 last weekend. Naturally, this means the 500 firmware update comes out this week. ;-P

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500/800 NP, IF, TSS firmware update? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy to see this update come out! I do have a noob question: I've been using trainerroad for a few weeks and just did another FTP test last week. I'm using a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine trainer and a Powertap SL+ wheel. Can I use the FTP number generated by that test as the FTP off of which the Garmin will calculate my numbers?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500/800 NP, IF, TSS firmware update? [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjdwyer23 wrote:
Happy to see this update come out! I do have a noob question: I've been using trainerroad for a few weeks and just did another FTP test last week. I'm using a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine trainer and a Powertap SL+ wheel. Can I use the FTP number generated by that test as the FTP off of which the Garmin will calculate my numbers?

Sure thing. If it's off a bit and as you gain fitness you can refine the number but it's always a bit of a guesstimate no matter what.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500/800 NP, IF, TSS firmware update? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. Can't wait to get on the road. Too bad I can't back calculate my old rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500/800 NP, IF, TSS firmware update? [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjdwyer23 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Can't wait to get on the road. Too bad I can't back calculate my old rides.

If you still have the files you can back calculate them with Golden Cheetah. The beta versions of 3.0 all allow you to use both Andy C's metrics as well as Phil S's.

Hugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've downloaded the new software with no problems. How does the garmin 500 know what my FTP is in order to calculate TSS?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500/800 NP, IF, TSS firmware update? [martman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
martman wrote:
I've downloaded the new software with no problems. How does the garmin 500 know what my FTP is in order to calculate TSS?

You have to enter it into "Power Zones" The default is set up at 200 watts.

The route there is via:
Settings
Bike Settings
Bike 1 (or what ever you've already edited this one to say)
Power Zones = scroll over and edit the 200 watts to your FTP

Hope that helps,

Hugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That didn't go well for me at all.

I went through garmin connect to updat the firmware. It tried to do an update but wouldn't because the time zone maps (???) wouldn't update.

So I opened webupdater and then loaded the v3 update. After that, when I turn on the device, the screens says GARMIN, but turns off after about 10-15 seconds.

Of course I did this on a Friday night when tech support is closed all weekend. I guess I won't be getting any data this weekend.

Any suggestions? I've tried updating several times through the webupdater but of course I get the same results.

bummer,

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500/800 NP, IF, TSS firmware update? [lemond853] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lemond853 wrote:
That didn't go well for me at all.

I went through garmin connect to updat the firmware. It tried to do an update but wouldn't because the time zone maps (???) wouldn't update.

So I opened webupdater and then loaded the v3 update. After that, when I turn on the device, the screens says GARMIN, but turns off after about 10-15 seconds.

Of course I did this on a Friday night when tech support is closed all weekend. I guess I won't be getting any data this weekend.

Any suggestions? I've tried updating several times through the webupdater but of course I get the same results.

bummer,

Scott

In the comments on my post I posted a workaround to the above problem, in short:

A) Turn off unit.
B) While holding down lower left button (Enter), plug into computer
C) After about 5 seconds, let go of Enter button
D) Within a few seconds, you should see the Garmin now show up as a drive on your computer
E) Delete anything within the Newfiles directory, it's just duplicate junk
F) Eject unit, and try turning on again
G) If that doesn't work, repeat steps A-D, then:
H) Move all Activities (in Activity Directory) temporarily off the unit to somewhere else (your hard drive), repeat for Courses as well.
I) Eject unit, try again
J) Failing all that, I'd have to recommend Garmin Support (tough on a weekend I know). But I think the above will fix it.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ray, just want you to know, and I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone here when I say, how much we appreciate you being a part of this forum...
Your site is awesome and I've pointed many people in that direction whenever they want to learn about HRM/GPS/etc...

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500/800 NP, IF, TSS firmware update? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That worked perfectly!!!

Thanks a ton for your help with this and your reviews. When I was looking for an ant+ computer for my powertap I read everything on your little slice of the internet.

Great work and super helpful.

-Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody having any problems/success uploading into Power Agent?

Updated both my Edge 500's yesterday and PA gives an error message when I try to upload from either unit. Had success with Golden Cheetah. I know PA isn't the gold standard, but I do like it for a couple of things.

Everything seems to be working fine with the Garmin, but maybe they didn't test files with PA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I downloaded the new update, I regularly have some rides where the garmin will not pick up my powertap. It will say 'not connected' under sensor status.
Frustrating. Suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500/800 NP, IF, TSS firmware update? [Fred Doucette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a bit of a late bump of a thread, but I think I am running the latest firmware for my 800, but I didn't see NP listed under the power options on what can be displayed, is it someplace else?

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply

Prev Next