Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 310xt - Question for Owners (past and present)
Quote | Reply
I am considering getting the Garmin 310xt - upgrading from a Forerunner 110. I would love to get a 910xt or 920xt but not currently in the budget. Is the 310xt a worthwhile investment? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by: Bville: Mar 1, 15 14:36
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310xt - Question for Owners (past and present) [Bville] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you need something to read a bike power meter, it's a nice option. I like mine a lot, it's pretty big but I like having all the different screens and easy upload to the computer via wireless. If you just want a running watch, i'd get something smaller.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310xt - Question for Owners (past and present) [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, the size is really my biggest concern. I'm looking for something that will seamlessly transition between disciplines. I like my 110, just doesn't work well in water. Might keep working with my 110 and cateye cycling computer and save for the 910xt or maybe Suunto Ambit2.

if you need a power computer, the garmin bike computers are nice. All that crap is so expensive though.

I don't mind the size much, I can't picture spending so much on one of the 900 series watches, they seem to get broken or lost every few years, it just strikes me as so wasteful. One thing I like about the 310 is when I break it I can send it in for repair for $85 and they just give me a refurb watch.

The only issue I have had with mine is the battery dies after a while and the buttons stop working.

It's a nice luxury, I don't think it makes me any better, nor do I think the power meter is anything great, but I'm in the minority on that I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310xt - Question for Owners (past and present) [Bville] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had my 310xt for 2 years. I used it as a multisport watch initially. Now I am only a cyclist due to too many running injuries. I still use my 310xt as my cycling computer with an out in front garmin mount... I cannot justify an edge bike computer when this shows, power, hr, speed, avg. speed, distance, and time... Sure I could display a bit more on each screen if I got an edge but is that worth hundreds of dollars? not to me. I love my 310. Only issues I have are sync issues with garmin connect, and I do not know if its the device or the software. I have heard some many issues with garmin express I refuse to sell my 310 and buy another device just to have the same issue.

At $150 dollars with a HRM I cannot see how this isn't a great value.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310xt - Question for Owners (past and present) [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. That is why I'm considering the 310xt. Seems like it is a great value...just want to make sure its not too good to be true. Good to hear it works well on the bike. Have you used it with cadence? Thanks again.

jroden wrote:

It's a nice luxury, I don't think it makes me any better, nor do I think the power meter is anything great, but I'm in the minority on that I guess.

I agree, just think Mark Allen and Dave Scott migh have won an Ironman if they had a power meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, my on bike display is generally (Screen 1: Power, HR, Cadence) , (Screen 2: Avg. Power, Distance, Time)

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
the size is really my biggest concern. I'm looking for something that will seamlessly transition between disciplines

If the size is your biggest concern, you'll likely HATE the 310XT. It's a huge brick compared to the 910 and 920. If I was in your position, (which I have been in), I'd keep running with the 110, and get a cheap Edge 500 for the bike. Of course, I don't care about swimming with a Garmin any more.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310xt - Question for Owners (past and present) [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eddy Merckx might have been a better cyclist. Oh, never mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310xt - Question for Owners (past and present) [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. The more I think about it that seems to be they way I'm leaning. I have a wireless Cateye with speed and cadence. Any advantage to move to the Edge 500? I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Bville wrote:
Thanks. The more I think about it that seems to be they way I'm leaning. I have a wireless Cateye with speed and cadence. Any advantage to move to the Edge 500? I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Best thing about the Edge 500 is the power capabilities. I'm sure it also does Heart-Rate / Speed / Cadence / GPS better than the cateye, but I wouldn't upgrade unless I had a power meter. If you want to do Strava, the 500 is good for that as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310xt - Question for Owners (past and present) [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Bville wrote:

Best thing about the Edge 500 is the power capabilities. I'm sure it also does Heart-Rate / Speed / Cadence / GPS better than the cateye, but I wouldn't upgrade unless I had a power meter. If you want to do Strava, the 500 is good for that as well.

That's what I was going to say, but with fewer typos.

The best running and riding I did in my life was using a Casio watch with a picture of a swordfish on it. The watch told me the date, time and had a stopwatch function. I think it had a lap timer but I never figured out how to work it.

I have power and GPS and all kinds of crap, but my 25 year old me riding in cut off sweat pants would still drop the 53 year old me on the climbs any day...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I don't have a power meter, it doesn't seem to make sense to upgrade right now. Thanks for all the advice and guidance.

Absolutely love my 310xt and now they are CHEAP!!

It is a bit raised on the wrist when you add on the quick release kit ( I can't imagine not having it )

If you don't mind having separate devices for running and biking, then an edge would be fine, it really comes down to whether you'd prefer to have one device or two in an actual triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 310 is great.

Used a 305 and a Polar before and the 310 is much better. Price point was ideal. Battery life is amazing. Open water swim accuracy is not good. Inexpensive foot pod will let you use a treadmill or an indoor track seamlessly.

As long as you clear history off the watch every couple of months everything works well. If you don't clear history it will act quirky and annoy the f out of you.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a 310 for 4-5 years and absolutely loved it. I recently replaced it with a 910Xt because it started to have more and more issues with the screen (often the pixels were scrambled or the screen would be mirrored). i went with the 910 because you can find it online for $268 with no tax and free shipping which makes it almost $200 cheaper than the 920.

The 310 is cheaper but you can only buy refurbished units right now. I don't know how good or bad those are and if you care or not. I also wanted swim metrics from open water swimming, hence the 'need' for the 910 vs a refurbished 310.