Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is entered manually. The watch will show you the range for each zone.

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As antonbp said, you manually enter it on the watch.

Under Power Zones, you enter your FTP, and there are two choices for "Zone calc:" "Based on FTP" and "Custom"

e.g. if you enter an FTP of 250, you can select View Zones and it spits out this:

Zone 1 63w 138w
Zone 2 138w 188w
Zone 3 188w 225w
Zone 4 225w 263w
Zone 5 263w 300w
Zone 6 300w 375w
Zone 7 375w 500w

If you choose Custom, you can edit the Zones to whatever you'd like.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [charris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this and the FTP post as well. I did the download last night, really improves the 310's functionality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
-Added new data fields: Vertical Speed - 30 second average, 3 second power, 30 second power, %FTP power

So out of curiousity (having never used a Garmin product), how do you set your FTP in the 310XT? (Hopefully it doesn't require using software, ala the Joule.)

You can do it manually as described or you can also use Garmin Connect

Settings -> Training Zones -> Cycling -> Power Zones

then press the send to device button.

This makes data easier to recover when Garmin wipes it out by a firmware upgrade or you do a hard reset on the watch to recover.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes these updates help alot but the 310 always had an avg power of sorts...-->the lap power was the avg of the lap u just had to manually reset it
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [coredump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did you do to finally get your 310 to update? Mine's been stuck on Loader Loading now forever. I've tried 3-4 times and get the same thing.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
What did you do to finally get your 310 to update? Mine's been stuck on Loader Loading now forever. I've tried 3-4 times and get the same thing.

Was just patient. It takes a long time. Like 15-20 minutes. Watch the ANT Agent transfer status bar to see how far along it is or whether it's stuck.

-Chris

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [coredump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It finally worked but I have no idea how long it ended up taking. I did it for a 5th time and left the house. When I came back several hours later it was done.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [charris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Have any of you guys that updated your firmware done a comparison of the 3s & 30s averaging to another power head unit (like the Powertap LYC or Joule, for example) to see if it's accurate?

Is the 3s averaging useful, or is it like "Current Pace" for running, where it jumps around so much that it's not very accurate/useful?

Any other issues with the update that I should be aware of before updating my unit?

Thanks.

Steve

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump for the weekday crowd. Looking to see how the 3s/30s average power feature is working or if anyone's compared the numbers to another power head unit before updating my firmware.

Thanks.

Steve

Last edited by: The_Mickstar: Jan 24, 11 6:12
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:

Have any of you guys that updated your firmware done a comparison of the 3s & 30s averaging to another power head unit (like the Powertap LYC or Joule, for example) to see if it's accurate?

Is the 3s averaging useful, or is it like "Current Pace" for running, where it jumps around so much that it's not very accurate/useful?

Any other issues with the update that I should be aware of before updating my unit?

Thanks.

Steve

I find 3s useful - it's what I use primarily for tracking power. 30s becomes more useful for longer/steady-state efforts. Overall, I'm now perfectly happy w/ my 310 + Quarq. Prior to this firmware I was planning on picking up a Garmin 500 once I got my quarq...now not so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [msaskin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at buying the 310xt soon and love this option....though worried about a release of a upgraded 310xt the moment I purchase. Anyone with info on a soon to be released 310xt replacement, or should I just bite the bullet?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [dmohara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmohara wrote:
Looking at buying the 310xt soon and love this option....though worried about a release of a upgraded 310xt the moment I purchase. Anyone with info on a soon to be released 310xt replacement, or should I just bite the bullet?

Speculation - I've heard nothing that would indicate an imminent update to the 310 hitting the shelves. I believe most I've read/heard indicates that 2012 would be likely for an updated product to be released.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [msaskin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonna hold out as long as possible until outdoor training begins for me (Northwestern Wisconsin....that might not be until June!!;).

Was at Phoenix marathon and tried to get some information out of the Garmin rep to no avail....I suppose I try to get by as long as possible!

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msaskin wrote:
dmohara wrote:

Speculation - I've heard nothing that would indicate an imminent update to the 310 hitting the shelves. I believe most I've read/heard indicates that 2012 would be likely for an updated product to be released.

It would be great if they released a version that did heart rate.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
??? My 310xt does heart rate... And has all along.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, not sure what you mean but the 310xt definitely does HR.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [dmohara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmohara wrote:

Normal Garmin product cycles would point to an update this spring for the FR310XT. Typical announcements happen in Feb/Mar,with availability starting april (Boston Marathon) through June.

Products in a series are normally updated every two years (FR310XT was Spring 2009).

To date, Garmin hasn't strayed from this in the fitness realm.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [Muh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Muh wrote:

It has a strap and displays numbers next to the letters HR - but it doesn't measure heart rate accurately.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I'll try to hold off until then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ddave wrote:
It has a strap and displays numbers next to the letters HR - but it doesn't measure heart rate accurately.
A relatively useless metric doesn't get more useful if it's more accurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ddave wrote:
Muh wrote:

Compared to what? It gives me the same readings my Polar did
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
ddave wrote:
A relatively useless metric doesn't get more useful if it's more accurate.

A good point. With a Garmin and a Computrainer I am coming around to this way of thinking :) Neither does HR.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
dmohara wrote:

Normal Garmin product cycles would point to an update this spring for the FR310XT. Typical announcements happen in Feb/Mar,with availability starting april (Boston Marathon) through June.

Products in a series are normally updated every two years (FR310XT was Spring 2009).

To date, Garmin hasn't strayed from this in the fitness realm.

Any indications or cycles as far as their $50 rebate program? If they have one coming up, I'm in for the 310.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ddave wrote:
Muh wrote:

I believe it's the "soft strap" that comes with the 310XT bundle that's the problem. Mine worked for almost a year, but now seems to be way off high. I paired the strap from my FR305 (not a "soft strap) to my 310XT, and it works just fine. Kind of a bummer, since the "soft strap" is a bit more comfortable.

Steve

Quote Reply

Prev Next