Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GXP vs. BB30 - Power Meter Question
Quote | Reply
I have a 2011 Specialized Transition. Specs online say it has a threaded BB. Currently it has a SRAM GXP crankset on it. If I were to buy a crank based power meter, am I correct in saying I am limited to a GXP meter or is there compliance with BB30? Any benefits/drawbacks if I could use either? Thanks, not a bike pro but wanting a PM but would like to get one that works on the damn bike.
Quote Reply
Re: GXP vs. BB30 - Power Meter Question [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GXP only on that one. If it were BB30, you could use either a BB30 or GXP crank based power meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you use a BSA30 bottom bracket, you can fit bb30 powermeters from quarq or power2max with rotor 3df and 3d+ cranksets. ...btw I have one in the classifieds. ;)

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/rotor-bsa-30-road-bottom-bracket
Last edited by: astig: Nov 23, 15 8:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it, I think. So since its a threaded BB I can use:
1. GXP
2. get an adapter like the BSA and then be able to use BB30

I assume from a future proofing standpoint this doesn't matter. If I bought a new bike with either standard I'd be able to use an adapter if necessary to keep using whatever meter I had, yeah? Thanks for the info, this is what I was looking for to prevent a costly mistake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can put in a bottom bracket that will be compatible with a BB30 Rotor crank. I don't think any other BB30 crank would work. The Rotor cranks have a longer spindle which makes it possible.

This is the bottom bracket I used to try a BB30 (Rotor 3d+) on an old frame with a threaded BB. It allows me to 'borrow' the Power2Max from my tri bike occasionally.

The tool to put it in is different that nearly every other BB tool out there.

(edit: Looks like the same response came up above while digging for links)
Last edited by: dangle: Nov 23, 15 9:26
Quote Reply
Re: GXP vs. BB30 - Power Meter Question [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks again all for the responses. I feel like black friday just got a lot more interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call Amanda at Rotor USA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do those adapters really work correctly? From what I have read while you can get the crank to fit, the ball bearing race won't align correctly in all situations (it might with a Rotor or BBright crank which are longer than a standard BB30 crank).
Quote Reply
Re: GXP vs. BB30 - Power Meter Question [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
Do those adapters really work correctly? From what I have read while you can get the crank to fit, the ball bearing race won't align correctly in all situations (it might with a Rotor or BBright crank which are longer than a standard BB30 crank).

I have no experience with this bottom bracket outside of 30mm Rotor cranks.

Any BB386EVO crank should fit. Any Rotor 3D+ or 3D30 should work as their spindles are long enough to fit. True BB30 is more narrow (at the bearings) than BSA/threaded, so a true BB30 crank would not fit into a BSA/threaded bottom bracket.

There are some BBRight specific Rotor cranks out there. Basically any recent 'takeoff' from a Cervelo is going to be a BBRight. Even though they say "the spider" is the difference, the only difference is that the lockring holding the spider on is 15-16mm instead of ~4-5mm. That can be replaced easily so it would fit into a BSA application.

BBRight spider lockring

Normal lockring.

The same tool removes them both.
Last edited by: dangle: Nov 23, 15 9:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ilikepizza wrote:
thanks again all for the responses. I feel like black friday just got a lot more interesting.

I have the same bike (2012 SRAM version) and just installed a Riken AL. The BB30 version is $30 more (at retail) then the GXP. No reason to convert.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
I have no experience with this bottom bracket outside of 30mm Rotor cranks.

Any BB386EVO crank should fit. Any Rotor 3D+ or 3D30 should work as their spindles are long enough to fit. True BB30 is more narrow (at the bearings) than BSA/threaded, so a true BB30 crank would not fit into a BSA/threaded bottom bracket.

There are some BBRight specific Rotor cranks out there. Basically any recent 'takeoff' from a Cervelo is going to be a BBRight. Even though they say "the spider" is the difference, the only difference is that the lockring holding the spider on is 15-16mm instead of ~4-5mm. That can be replaced easily so it would fit into a BSA application.

Thanks, appreciate the additional details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen this mentioned yet but you can also put in a shimano bb and use shimano/fsa verisons of whatever powermeter you're looking at.

There will ALWAYS be an adapter to convert bb30/pf92... ...etc to a threaded bb. just something to keep in mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Food for thought, the Powertap P1 pedals. I'm just finishing up a review article on them and they are quite impressive, especially in your case for install, and if you upgrade your bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally speaking, if it's BB30, you can only use it on BB30. GXP will work on both. You just need the Wheels MFG adaptor that retail for $30 to take up the space on a BB30 frame. I honestly think BB30 cranks really limit you. I would NEVER get a crank based power meter that was BB30. Really limits you to only those frames with BB30.
Quote Reply