Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GPS data help- auto lap alarms too early?
Quote | Reply
I am in a challenge with some friends and we are all trying to all run our fast 1 mile efforts (on a track). I am using a Suunto Ambit 2S. I am confused as I have the GPS set to 1 mile laps. I toe up to the line with GPS on and ready to start. I go, run my 4 laps around the university track (yes its .25mi per lap) and when I finish hit the button as soon as I cross. Realize my button push might be 1 second slow or something. However the numerous times I have run on different tracks, before I cross the line on the final lap with 15 meters or so to go the auto 1 mile lap alarm sounds? I watch the pace as I am running and it shows a 5:40- 5:35 ish pace...but...

Movescount data shares the following:

run time: 5:47 (and what I see when I hit the stop button at the finish line)
distance 1:04
pace 5:34
auto lap alarm (again set at 1 mi): 5:34:60 covering 1 mile.

So why is my run time 5:47 and my auto 1 mile lap alarm so different (5:34:60). Again I would understand a second or two off of me hitting the stop button at the end of the 4th lap, but 10 + seconds no way?

and why does the lap alarm go off before I have even crossed the line on the 4th lap. I understand GPS has about 1% wiggle room but is that what I am seeing?

What am I missing here? Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS data help- auto lap alarms too early? [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tracks have always been painful for GPS watches. The tight turns and constant circling generally make it difficult for the device to accurately measure distance. The base technology draws straight lines in between the data points, so running tight turns in a track generally cause for miscalculation.

I have not used a Suunto 2S, however I am looking at purchasing one, so if this issue becomes something specific to suunto, I would be interested to know... but track running is generally difficult for lap pacing.

Some people generally set the Automap to a location instead of distance when they are on tracks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is slightly more accurate with Gps if you run the outside of the track.

However, seems like you are making things complicated for yourself, the track is a fixed distance. Turn off the Gps and just use a stopwatch. If you need to know your pace look at the watch every four hundred metres....if your doing an all out mile then who cares about your pace just run like hell and hit stop at the finish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Gps used in fitness watches is not accurate on a 400m track. Best to just use the stopwatch or set the lap counter to trigger on position. Your lap times should then be reasonably accurate but the pace will be wrong as the distance will be off.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS data help- auto lap alarms too early? [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all and makes sense. Solid proof and now I am slow as molasses in my group. Ugh but having fun going at it...
Quote Reply