Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GPS Accuracy... bad for 620
Quote | Reply
According to this guys tests, the Garmin 620 is the least accurate GPS watch.

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/GPS_Accuracy

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: GPS Accuracy... bad for 620 [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought my wife the new 220.

She got to the 1 mile marker that we know to be true (map my run, driven it, and 910 all = 1mile) and it was at .9 She got to the 2 mile marker and it read 1.8. By the time she got to the 5 mile mark it was a full mile off.

Now there is a distinct possibility that there was a bit of user error (I thought maybe she took off before it located satellites), but based on what she told me it seems like she used it properly. I'll be running tomorrow with my 910 and her 220 on to see what kind of calibration they have.

My 910 tends to read a bit short if I make multiple quick turns. I regularly run some side streets (in the road, not sidewalk) in my neighborhood and it reads at 2 miles exact, when I know it to be just over 2.1 but it tends to be right on when on longer straights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is no surprise. This is the worst watch that Garmin has ever put out, and they know it too. It should have never been released. Several firmware updates later, and it is no better. I don't know which route to go. Demand my money back from Garmin, or sell it. Selling it would be morally wrong, but I also don't want to take a $400.00 hit for something I don't even use. I have a 610 that works perfectly. Went back to that full time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is really detailed and the author put a lot of work into it. I was disappointed to see that he used smart recording on the Garmin devices. It does make a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First thing's first, from Fellrnr's own review..."Garmin devices are set to 'smart recording'. I did try an informal test with the 620 using 1-second recording, but it appeared to make no difference." This is the wrong way to approach these reviews. Smart recording is terrible. 1-second recording is extremely accurate. To say that he did an "informal test" with 1-second recording is already setting up his test for failure. I got the 620 because my old Garmin used smart recording & it had issues.

I trust DC Rainmaker's reviews on technology because his field tests are more thorough & include multiple different scenarios. He makes a good point in the comments section of his 620 review that Fellrnr only does his tests on a single stretch & while that stretch includes different variables (i.e power lines & bridges), it is the same course. Ray (DCR) tested the unit on different routes & conditions & he found the GPS to be pretty accurate. Ray also understands the merits of 1-second vs smart a lot better than Fellrnr.

I have had the 620 since it was released & I have run multiple races & tons of training runs with it, including two marathons. I have found the GPS to be very accurate. I'm sure if you hyper-analyze the details, you can find flaws in every watch, but not once has the watch reported me to be as wildly off course as Fellrnr's results had him.

Plus, Fellrnr states that the iPhone 4S is more accurate than most watches he tested, and I completely call BS on his results based on that fact alone.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/11/garmin-forerunner-review.html#comment-416157
Last edited by: Meathead: Apr 16, 14 6:58
Quote Reply
Re: GPS Accuracy... bad for 620 [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meathead wrote:

Plus, Fellrnr states that the iPhone 4S is more accurate than most watches he tested, and I completely call BS on his results based on that fact alone.

Had to laugh at that one. I did an olympic last year where the organizers measured the course with an iPhone. The swim came out to 1.7 miles and the run was 6.8, according to my 910.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS Accuracy... bad for 620 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
This is really detailed and the author put a lot of work into it. I was disappointed to see that he used smart recording on the Garmin devices. It does make a difference.

Yeah...I was really disappointed there. Even if it appears to "make little difference", why would you not use every second recording. My only guess is that he started these (very extensive) tests with the default settings, and didn't want to throw in another variable in there.

I would love to take 4 watches to the track. I would test footpod/non and smart/every second recording. That would be so cool to see the difference.
Quote Reply