Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GPS-based draft monitoring may be possible after all
Quote | Reply
The ideas several Slowtwitchers have proposed as technology solutions to drafting have always had drawbacks. GPS isn't accurate enough. RFID can't tell which bike is in front. Cameras are snapshots of dynamic situations. Looks like the GPS issue may be going away with accuracy down to the inch.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS-based draft monitoring may be possible after all [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it will be quite a while before that is at a price point where it makes sense, even if they have potentially reduced the amount of computation required. GPS accuracy down to an inch or less relies on carrier phase measurements, and to assist with the ambiguity of where two signals are on the carrier wave requires input from a fairly precise inertial system.

Spot

Quote | Reply
In English please (ha!)
Quote Reply
Re: GPS-based draft monitoring may be possible after all [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GPS accuracy improves greatly (not sure down to what) by using land based signals, instead of sat's.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS-based draft monitoring may be possible after all [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
GPS accuracy improves greatly (not sure down to what) by using land based signals, instead of sat's.

That's differential GPS, which is different from what this is talking about. This is using the actual phase of the carrier wave, rather than the information in the carrier wave, to measure distance. The hard part is making sure that the two signals you are comparing are on the same cycle.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

That's differential GPS, which is different from what this is talking about. This is using the actual phase of the carrier wave, rather than the information in the carrier wave, to measure distance. The hard part is making sure that the two signals you are comparing are on the same cycle.

Yawn. I are smart two.
Quote Reply