Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GPS, tunnels, foot pods
Quote | Reply
My Garmin 210 has been a pain in my butt! It takes a while to find satellites and then drops signal in short tunnels, highway underpasses, and city streets. And then can't find it again. For a while. A long while.

So, question 1:

If I get a Foot Pod, can I (a) start running before it gets satellites, and then let it pick them up if it finds them? and (b) maintain continuous tracking even if the signal is dropped?

And if the answer to those is no...

Question 2:

GPS recommendation on a watch that grabs satellites quickly - even when on the move after they're dropped mid-run?

(not interested in the 910/920 - they are huge!, non-Garmin brands are fine)
Quote Reply
Re: GPS, tunnels, foot pods [ratherbeswimmin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about the foot-pod issue, but what about garmin fenix or fenix2? I think they're more designed for running than the 910/920 and they're smaller. I've also heard pretty good things about the timex slew of watches, but they don't really cater to cycling anymore, so I haven't paid much attention to specs.

Dtyrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ratherbeswimmin wrote:

If I get a Foot Pod, can I (a) start running before it gets satellites, and then let it pick them up if it finds them? and (b) maintain continuous tracking even if the signal is dropped?

Did more digging... sounds like the answers to both are YES.

BUT technically, if you swap shoes or the position of the pod on the shoes, you may have to recalibrate.

Hmmm..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ratherbeswimmin wrote:

This is from my experience with the footpod paired with a 910. It may be different with your watch.
a) yes - obviously, the GPS derived path will be weird, but the speed and distance will be pretty close to expected, provided you calibrated the footpod appropriately.
b) yes - again, the path will likely draw a straight line from the points of signal loss and pickup even if you actually ran all curvey, but the total distance will reflect your curvey path.

Check out the 620 or 220. If you want a smallish, run specific watch, those look perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS, tunnels, foot pods [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
ratherbeswimmin wrote:

This is from my experience with the footpod paired with a 910. It may be different with your watch.
a) yes - obviously, the GPS derived path will be weird, but the speed and distance will be pretty close to expected, provided you calibrated the footpod appropriately.
b) yes - again, the path will likely draw a straight line from the points of signal loss and pickup even if you actually ran all curvey, but the total distance will reflect your curvey path.

Check out the 620 or 220. If you want a smallish, run specific watch, those look perfect.

Thank you!!

I think the 220 has an upgraded chip from the 210 that's supposed to help get satellite reception. I think.

Can anyone confirm this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yup, both the 220 and 620 pre-cache satellite information that should hasten the time till GPS lock. I know that it means you get a faster initail lock, but I don't know if it also improves re-acquisition after emerging from a tunnel.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS, tunnels, foot pods [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
220 looks to have a build in accelerometer on the wrist to eliminate the need for a foot-pod. not as accurate as the footpod... but one less piece of equipment to worry about.
Quote Reply