Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GI and digestion issues.Please evaluate.
Quote | Reply
Did Eagleman this weekend. Here was the deal. All was fine until the morning of the race. I got up and my stomach was going crazy.Grumbling an dmaking noise like a motor was in it. ( It was not nerves...) I was on the toilet 5 times for the next 3 hours. I have never had this issue. But at least all was good when I got on the bike.

1. Ate normal carbo foods 2-3 days prior. If anything I may have ate too much carbos. Is there such thing as too many carbos?

2. Pre race evening meal was Spaghetti with baked chicken.(normal) Although I added a lot of bread but dipped some in Olive Oil (new)...... Was this bad?

3. Drank 8 oz of Ensure (new.. in fact someone here said not todrink it but it felt fine and do not think it was an issue since I had the grumbling before I drank Ensure) + a Bagel. Cherios and some normal stuff (normal) I have never had issues with . Have used all this before ... but ....was this bad?

One other note. When I drank water and Gatorade nothing came out. I took 2 small pee pee's even after chugging normal amounts of liquid. I did not feel dehydrated and my stomach was emptying fine. Sweat rate was a little less than normal.

Was I on the verge of dehydration from the poop episodes?

Can you help. Why did I have problems? I have a stong feeling it may have been the olive oil???
Quote Reply
Re: GI and digestion issues.Please evaluate. [Freedie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost sounds like food poisoning except the onset is generally within a few hours of eating rather than overnight. Since there was no sun heated mayo drenched potato salad or other salad on the menu, that makes the chicken the prime suspect.

"poop episodes" can cause severe dehydration (that's how cholera kills people), so that's probably the reason behind decreased urination. Carbs generally cause water retention too

I love the smell of cheerios scented urine in the morning.
Quote Reply
Re: GI and digestion issues.Please evaluate. [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree it sounds like food poisoning. Also, did you travel to the event? I flew to NY for the NYC Marathon in '01. Had same terrible problem that began before the race and wreaked havoc on me at mile 23. I have found that my lower GI system is extra aggressive for a couple of days after flying. Also, I may have contracted food poisoning of some kind from sushi a couple of nights before the race. Never could exactly figure it out.

I am doing IM CDA this month. Race is Sunday and I am showing up Thursday in order to make sure that any "acclimation" problems are nipped in the bud by race time.
Quote Reply