Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GFT race report
Quote | Reply
This was my second GFT and 3rd IM distance event with the other being IM Florida in 2005. Headed out on Thursday with my pregnant wife, 5 year old son and my in-laws to beautifull central FLA. We stayed at Disney World to make life easier with the kid. We hit the parks until 10:00 pm Thursday night. Got up early on friday with plans to do Kevins practice swim but my entourage had other plans. Since we had only one vehicle I had to take them to Sea World which didnt open till 9:00 so I didnt get to Clermont until 10:00. Got a quick massage at the expo, registered and sat through the meeting. I saw a couple of people swimming so I grabbed my suit and jumped in. Water was extra brown! Got out and did a 20 min run around the lake which brought back memories of the last time I shuffled around it. Left the race and decided to drive the course as last time I got a little off track on the second loop. I drove about 50 miles of it and saw that Fred had it really well marked so I headed back to Sea World. Went back to the room, had a good dinner, packed my gear bags and was asleep by 10:00.
Saturday morning I was up at 5:00, had a good breakfast and headed out to the race. Had to stop at the McDonalds on 27 to make a deposit. Right when we arrived the rain started falling. My wife lloked at me and asked if I would be mad if she didnt stay for the start. I said "hell no" so she dropped me off at transition and went back to DW. Transition was a soggy mess. My powertap was so wet it wasnt working. Dried it off and it came back to life. Put on my wetsuit and headed to the start. We went off about 9:00 minutes late by my watch which was no big deal considering everyone had to weigh in before you could get into transition.
Swim was pretty uneventfull. Much calmer than the fiasco of a m-dot mass start. Finished first loop right on target and was out of the water in 1:12:52. 2 minutes slower than I planned but ok.
T1 5:51
Bike: Wanted to average 180 watts. The short steeps right after T1 made for a nice warm-up. Wished I had put on the 27 when I got to suggarloaf. Luckilly I overcame my fear of going downhill which I aquired about a year ago from a bike with severe death wobbles. Never got over 35 mph but for me that was huge. Got to the flats and the wind kicked up. 220 watts and 17 mph on flats sucks. My lower back started to hurt which tells me Im going too hard. Got to special needs and grabbed my Coppenhagen ( my reward for making it this far). finished the bike in 5:49:18. Avg watts 175. Close enough. Loved the new course.
T2 5:40
Run: Left transition with another guy and held pace with him. He was doing 8:30s according to my garmin. Was able to hang on for 3 miles but lost him at an aid station and decided to trim it back. Almost got run over by a car making a left while the cop who was supposed to be watching the intersection was leaning on his car. At mile 10 my quads started to burn and by mile 12 they were on fire. Everything else felt good, heart rate was 125, but quads hurt like hell. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to take a handfull of enduralites to fix it. Needless to say I ended up with severe upset stomache and couldnt eat or drink from mile 16 on.Finally saw my wife at the end of my second loop. I was walking. She told me to HTFU because she was hungry ( note to self: leave pregnant wife home next time). Last loop was extra ugly. Came around final curve and saw the clock at 12:02. Kinda pissed I couldnt break 12 but happy it was over. 4:49:33 run time.
Not too bad considering my first Gft was 13:40 and I was 3 years younger. Thank you Rich Nixon for getting me prepared. I swear I will train harder next time.
Thank you volunteers, you were awesome as usual.
Thank you to my wife ... wait .... scratch that.
final time 12:03:12
Last edited by: zipprider757: Oct 23, 07 8:59
Quote Reply
Re: GFT race report [zipprider757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice job Zipp! Keep it going man. Let me know next time you are through Clermont.
Quote Reply
Re: GFT race report [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats to you on the win. A friend of mine is doing IM CDA so I'm sure I'll make a trip up there to train with him. I'll probably be there with linda and George too as the tri club is doing IM Florida next year.

RR addendum: My sweet revenge was that because I had peed myself all day the car ride back to Disney smelled like a porta potty. The next day the roof of my mouth was raw. I had a hard time eating soft bread it was so painfully. Too much salt?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Copenhagen? As in you had a DIP during the race??? That is awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: GFT race report [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, rode from mile 65 to 80 with a dip. Doesn't Macca do that? At IMFL I saw my wife after I got off the bike and told her to go to 7-11 and get me a can and give it to me after the first loop (outside assistance?).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, rode from mile 65 to 80 with a dip.

I would vote for PED;-)

Nice report.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Henry on a great race. It's funny to me because I forgot about the silver Titanflex, and I caught up with you just before special needs on the black BP Stealth/H3/disc/LG Rocket. At least I think that was you. You got out of there quicker, musta been the dip! You were right behind me for a while and then suddenly vanished. I think the lower back part had a lot to do with those roads out there, which were absolutely brutal on my knees and back. I really hope Fred finds a couple of better-paved roads for next year.

Anyway, you outswam me, I was rockin the bike until those rough roads and then we were unwittingly trading places on the run (I did a sad 4:53 "marathon") and came in about 90 seconds behind you, and congratulated the Danish guy that I'm pretty sure was sitting next to you at the finish line. He had come by about 2 miles out and was just flying. Great job, sounds like it was a tough day for both of us.

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did i read that correctly --- YOU PUT A FUCKING LIPPER IN DURING THE RACE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

DUDE YOU ARE THE EPITOME OF HTFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

runfatmanrun.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: GFT race report [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that was me. The danish guy was really nice. Pissed he didnt break 12 though. Did you see the female come flying by on the last lap? It inspired me to run a little faster. How do you like the Bp? Ive owned softrides, zipp 3001s, titanflex and other different style bikes but never a bp. Saw one at the expo for a decent price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the BP, I've got about 15k miles on that frame/fork. The back end is a little flexy side-side and the head tube is a bit tall, but I just use a really negative stem and it works great. My CdA is around 0.22 so it's fairly aero as well, and very comfy for long distance rides. I don't know if it'd be more comfy than the Titanflex or not, though it definitely has some compression on the rear wheel upwards on heavy bumps. Edit: I bought the frame and fork from Austin TriCyclist (I think that's right) 4 or so years ago for about $850...prices have gone up though. It was an awesome deal at the time, because it's half the price of my brother's P2K, more comfy, more aero, and dammit it looks cool!

Yeah the danish guy was pissed he didn't break 12...I was trying to keep up with him around the west side of the lake...he looked as his watch, said SH!T and took off. Funny as hell, and no way I was going to keep up with him at that rate. He was probably going sub-7 pace. Yeah I saw the girl go flying by on the last lap right as I was heading for the portapotty the last time. I just said...er...yeah...whatever. Smile

Mad
Last edited by: triguy42: Oct 23, 07 15:07
Quote Reply
Re: GFT race report [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a cool looking ride. At least you went home with an award. I got nothing. Hate my age group. Next year I move up. Is it just me or do you feel like you need to do a long run? That run was so horrible I feel like I need to go out and prove I can run more than a mile without walking.
Quote Reply