Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [KevinMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any more information about his race at Philly?

I was cheering runners on at Mile 24 -- I was the only spectator out there in fact at the Mile 24 marker -- and saw a runner on the ground, cramping and went over and helped and gave him the Gatorade I was carrying for my wife and offered shot blocks which he declinedand sat with him for a minute or two and repeatedly offered to call the medics. The runner insisted he was fine, (the runner was super fit looking and rather young), drank the 32 oz of Gatorade and five or so minutes later shuffled on down the road. As I see Chris's pictures,I am highly certain it was him. But if he was on time to break 3:00 as according to the Race Results splits (2:10 at 30k) then it couldn't have been. I saw this runner at Mile 24 at around 4:00 hours.

Sorry, I am just haunted by maybe not having done enough here ....
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [mrothman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was with Chris during his last minutes. We (myself and other bystanders in the medical field) got to him within seconds after he collapsed about 1/4 from the finish line. This was right before the 3 hour pacing runner went by. I just want his wife, parents, friends, and other family to know that we did everything we possibly could to try to save him. My heart hurts for his loved ones. By reading this forum, I probably am only getting a glimpse of how amazing he really was. I am signed up to do my first Ironman in NYC August 11, 2012 and will do it in memory of him. With deepest sympathy, Lauren Seavy. (Springfield, NJ)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please let me know if it's not appropriate.

Words alone cannot express how sorry I am for the loss of one of life's true greats.

Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [twoms359] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Lauren.
I'll see you at IMNYC. I was thinking of doing a tribute to Chris as well, but not sure how to yet. Myabe a few rounds of beer 2 days before the race as it was his custom to do so. He said it was the best way to keep you from thinking you could wake up the day before the race and train to hard. The hang over should do the best thing for you and keep you in bed. Wisdom in beer.
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [morey000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
morey000 wrote:
I didn't know Chris-
but just read through all of your thoughts. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes.

THIS ^^

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

-----------------------------------------

"It's too dangerous and expensive to ride with d*ckheads" -tridork

Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll be able to find me at the LP Pub & Brewery on Thursday before IMLP 2012 and every year after that...and I know that I'll have company.

I have never done LP without a wetsuit, though next year, I think that will have to change. If I wear one, I'm sure that I'll hear Chris' voice in my head calling me a p*ssy.

"Hold on, you run a marathon AFTER you ride your bike?!?....oh, you people are just insane"......(my Mom)

Rockin' the W in 2013!! Wattie Ink Elite Team
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [jmim2006] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a video interview w/ Jenny and the kids that was done by the local CBS affiliate.

http://www.cbs6albany.com/...72001/wrgb-localnews

Their strength in this incredibly difficult time is just remarkable.

Many thanks to the lady above who posted about trying to help Chris.
I know a lot of us will take some solace in knowing that everything that could be done for him, was.

Also - as athletes we can all appreciate this, even if the non-athletes who might hear about it would think it crazy, but - Chris was on pace to break 3 hours.
I know that was a huge goal of his for this race, along with qualifying for Boston, which he certainly would have.
He must have dropped the hammer at some point during the last 12k, as he was just off sub-3 time thru the half and 30k marks.

An amazing competitor.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was gut-wrenching to watch. I am full-on sobbing here. Jenny's inner strength in that interview is absolutely breathtaking.
Last edited by: CeeCee: Nov 23, 11 16:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was very moving.
I only knew Chris through his posts her on ST.
As a 43 year old husband and father of 2, his story hits very close to home.
My heart breaks for his wife and kids.
Their strength in that interview is incredible.
Love and prayers to them and the rest of his family and friends.
It seems we lost one of the really good ones.
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That video rips me apart. I hope you're doing OK Mike.

It's a testament to Chris G that I have never met him, yet I seem to be missing him so much.

I can't wait for AmZof. I'm going to hug the shit out of all of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To throw down the hammer in the final 12K of a marathon is special. And you're right that most non-runners won't "get it." They won't see the beauty in that effort. They won't know the feeling of forcing heavy legs to turn over a little quicker just when the race is getting exponentially harder. The focus needed to keep ones self moving quicker when almost everyone else around him is starting to go backwards. To feel the urgency to take back a few more seconds with each passing mile marker.

It's nice to know that he was able to enjoy, even for just a few minutes, the satisfaction of passing the 3 hour pacing group, enjoy the satisfaction of knowing he had 2:59:xx in the bag. To know that he accomplished what he set out to do. But to your point, the competitor in him wasn't going to be satisfied with that and knew the race wasn't over until he crossed the finish line. He was going to fight for every second.

God speed. My thoughts to his beautiful family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lauren - thank you so much for posting this. I am Jenny's brother in law, and although right now might not be the time, I am sure at some point she would want to reach out to you, as you are one of the last people to see Chris alive, just so she can have another level of closure knowing he was in good hands during his final push to the finish line. Thank you for doing what you could, I know you did what you could and speaking for Jenny, she's most grateful for everyone who tried to revive Chris. Good luck next year in NYC, Chris will be watching you, so don't slack......!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too was spectating in Philly on Sunday. I was probably about half a mile or so from the finish, and saw medics working on a male runner at some point- while he was conscious when taken away, my first thought after I heard a marathoner had died was that I hoped that man hadn't later died, selfishly not wanting to have seen a person right before he died. Well, that man wasn't Chris, though looking back, I do remember seeing a guy in an EN top that was running around 3 hr pace- I remember he looked strong the 2 or 3 times I saw him.

I never personally met Chris, but know at least one person that was friends with him. But his face does look familiar- besides Sunday, I'm sure I saw him in the Brew Pub during one of my trips there during IMLP over the years. In a year full of death, this one just hurts. My thoughts are with his family and friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen Chris's posts but never met him, but my deepest condolences go out to his family and friends. When I told my wife of the story surrounding this tragedy last night she was turned to tears. I cannot imagine, GODSPEED.

http://www.motiv-8.blogspot.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Lauren for sharing and giving us those details about what he was trying to achieve in his final steps and breaths. Knowing that he was in front of the 3 hour pace bunny provides some level of closure for some us us. At least it puts some perspective around what was going on in both his body and his mind. I've been in training and racing redlining it with Chris. We had a memorable dash into the finish at 2009 Timberman, so the charge to the line was nothing new for him and something he had done countless times before this, so probably there was nothing to fear (unlike for myself whose family does have a long history of heart disease and strokes on both sides). Nevertheless it leaves me (and I am sure others), wondering what was that much different this time. We'll never know and probably don't need to, because it is not going to bring him back.

Mike, thanks for posting that video of Jenny and the kids. Wow, I'm speechless after sitting through that.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [oceanswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I met Chris at Epicman in LP. His passion for triathlon was evident. He was full of energy and his fun loving personality added to everyone's enjoyment for this training event. It's a shame that I am only getting to know him better through these tributes. My condolences to all who feel his passing. May you find peace in your mourning.
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Thanks Lauren for sharing and giving us those details about what he was trying to achieve in his final steps and breaths. Knowing that he was in front of the 3 hour pace bunny provides some level of closure for some us us. At least it puts some perspective around what was going on in both his body and his mind.

Exactly..... especially since it's known from the pace mats that he was off of that pace earlier in the race and he made up the time. Thx Lauren and thx Dev.
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [LouisLouis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Louis, the worst part was that we missed the Whiteface climb with Chris on account of the US Customs and Immigration deciding to do a "random search" on a car with the two of us in there!!! Oh well....at least you got to ride in the East German 100K TTT simulation train with Chris G, Kalber, ML and Yves Fortin putting down the hammer. Fun times for sure.....my quads are throbbing just thinking about trying to sit in that train!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no stories to share about Chris, but after reading through this thread myself and pointing my wife here, you can add 4 more lives (us + 2 daughters) whose life will be affected by the way Chris lived his. One can only wish to have people talk so highly of them and it definitely seems as if he truly deserves the accolades.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, what tremendous strength and poise during such a gut-wrenching time. Thanks for posting this.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting the video of the interview with Chris's family. This is further evidence of what an amazing person he was, in that he could have such an incredibly strong wife and children. A very inspirational reminder to be thankful for every day and every loved one that we have. R.I.P. Chris.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"No more hurting people - Peace"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for this amazing tribute to Chris. I am his sister, Cara. Please know that you are building the most beautiful gift for the children who lost him way too soon. My brother was a vortex. Energy swirled around him. It is so fitting that his spirit keeps inspiring us to act and speak. I love reading your stories. All I can think to say is that they are all just so true... he was so many things & you are capturing him perfectly. Some of you have written that he was your hero or that he felt like a brother to you. I know how lucky I was to have the real deal - this hero as my big brother.
Although I mostly lurk, I have always felt I had vicarious membership in your community through Chris. I am grateful that he (and many of you) included me in the fun.

Chris and I were very different people. Running and triathlons were a way for us to connect. Our best talks happened on the shoulders of the endless miles of roads through the Adirondacks.

I am not sure how it all began, but this seems to be an important story: When I finished the New York City Marathon back in 2003, Chris came up to me and in perfect Chris fashion said "it would have been easier to run the Marathon with you than spectate all day." Jenny – the rock star was 8 months pregnant with Ashley at the time – but she was not complaining. I could not let that comment go. There was no getting out of it; he had to run a marathon. The next year we ran the Chicago Marathon with his best childhood friend, Mike Curtis. Chris insisted that we hold hands & raise them in the air as the three of us crossed the finish line together in 4:08. Mike tells me he has that picture - I cannot wait to see it again.

Chris started doing triathlons a year or so later. He got faster and stronger – and found a new family with all of you. I tagged along, slower and less intense than he, but still hanging on and enjoying the ride. Just like many of you, he encouraged and inspired me. I have great memories of early morning car rides to races... the right music, cup of coffee, anxious babbling. There would always be something I needed (duck tape, pump, water bottle) and he would always have extra. When I would pass by him during a race (on a dreaded out and back - he hated them) he was always talking to whoever was around him – and looking out for me – cheering me on.
I could go on forever. There is too much to miss, too much to say. I cannot wrap my head around this loss. Being here at his house this week has only reminded me of what an amazing life he built for himself. Chris, Jenny and the kids were such a tight team. They had so many great adventures, traditions and memories (and too many more unfulfilled dreams). His life ended too soon but he really lived every day that he had. Chris soaked up his life and wrung it out. Not a day wasted. Yes, he worked hard and played hard but he did not stop there. He loved hard too. The real blessing is that despite all that intensity, he always found a way to stay connected to the people he loved.

I will miss him forever. We all will. Thank you again for honoring him with such passion and enthusiasm. It is perfect.

Here are a few of my favorite pictures from Ironman LP 2008.
Chris, Jenny and the kids the night before the race.

Me and Chris doing our finest wonder-twin impersonation before the prerace dinner.

Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [RoseC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So well written.

I can't even imagine your pain...
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [RoseC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for your loss Cara. I didn't know your brother as well as some others around here but in a short time he made an incredible impression on me.

I first met your brother a few summers ago at a restaurant in Lake Placid for lunch. He was waiting to ride to the top of Whiteface during a training weekend with a group of friends and stopped in to chat with some mutual friends we had. He was excited to be in Lake Placid (as always) and I couldn't help chuckle to myself as Chris proceeded to talk at me (in a friendly way). He'd make a few statements and then look you in the eyes with that interested expression, intense eyes and with a small smile at the corners of his mouth and if no one replied he went on telling his stories. You didn't even care if they were true. I don't remember what they were but he had us all laughing to the point that people were spitting up their food. He left early from the lunch and all the energy left with him. "Who was that?" I said. "Gleason!" was the chorus. It was obvious from the get-go why people flocked to him.

After that I mostly got Chris-updates through my better half (known as Kitboo in EN circles) on EN and Facebook. He took an interest in our off-road exploits and dubbed it the "Cool Shit Tour" and promised to join us next year in a few off-road adventures. He peppered us with questions about what type of mountain bike he would need. He bartered for AmZo..."I'll race Wilmington/Whiteface if you race AmZo." Neither race will be the same now. I'll be raising a mug to the sky afterwards though.

Still not knowing him too well I ran into him again in Lake Placid. I was coming off a mountain biking trailhead and saw a large train of cyclists heading into town working hard up the hill and thought nothing of it until Chris yelled my name, waved and asked how it was going. I returned the question and he pointed to his crew and shrugged his shoulders...he was working hard and loving it but still had time to say hi to a mere acquaintance. A simple gesture that meant a lot to me even before he passed.

Another time I ended up with a big group for dinner at the Brown Dog in Placid. Chris showed up and the energy instantly increased in the room. A heated conversation ensued on how to best help birds survive: which bird houses; what type of seed; when to feed. Chris was silent for a bit listening to the debate and that slightly amused looked emerged on that face of his (you guys know the one). "I don't know. Birds are pretty self-reliant, what with their nest-building and food-gathering and all. I think they'll be all set." We still laugh over that one. The great bird debate was over and many a Malbec and Cabernet were shared with him that night.

We have been impersonating Chris around the house for a few years now. You know, you'll make a point and then say "That was a bad call," or "not a bad call at all," afterwards or, "You swam a 1:45?! Why?!" We tear-up now amidst a smile.

There is one other story to share but not sure if this is the place. It is no more than PG-rated though. Those that raced in a certain Albany-area cyclocross race in the fall of 2010 will remember his relegation (he thought he was getting called-up when the race director announced his name) and the reason why. Maybe another time. I do have some video of him racing up a hill that day as Kitboo, The Boyles and I heckle him a little bit. When I find it I'll post it. Chris did make a point before that weekend to setup a dinner with him and Jenny the night before the race and sent several emails to us making sure he brought our favorite beverages to the race. And yes, Jenny, I'm eating more salads!

Our thoughts go out to the entire family.

Chris, my friend, you finally got called up. We all miss you in the back of the pack here though.

As I tear-up now I can hear Chris, "Don't be such a puss. Go have a beer...you'll be fine."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't know him, but I wish I did. RIP brother.
Quote Reply

Prev Next