Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heading down by the "Cascade Screamers" towards Keene at this years "almost Kona 10:11" IMLP no wetsuit race, one we know he was very proud of:

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 22, 11 5:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crowning Achievement on a multiple year journey. Definitely a happier finishing line day than this past weekend! (photo Asi photography)

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 22, 11 5:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wearing the finisher medal at IMLP. I just wish he did not get the "life finisher" medal this weekend. By the way, congrats to Patrick and Rich for the work they did to get Chris to this 10:11 day. Awesome work boys! (photo Asi photography)

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 22, 11 5:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So awesome and sad at the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I met Chris through Endurance Nation and became as close as you can to someone you've never actually shaken hands with (or given a hug- which is how I would have greeted him the first time we met face to face). I've never posted in the Slowtwitch Forums before (although I admit to stalking), but I wanted to say Thank You to everyone here for this wonderful tribute and for sharing the stories and pictures. We all will miss Chris a great deal.
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [KevinMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm at a loss... my prayers and thoughts for Chris, his family and friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a tradition in my family that at dinner every night each person says their high and low for the day. I did not say Chirs's death as the low as they would not understand the long explanation. However, my 11 year old son said he had a bad low and he was obviously afraid to tell me. I was afraid he did something at school and got into real trouble. After getting himself under control and trying not to cry he went on to tell me he had broken a glass of mine while trying to do a magic trick.

I was not upset at all. I actually thought of Chris and his family and their tragedy and view of that this was nothing. I mean really NOTHING. I hugged Jake and told him the glass meant nothing to me and he means the world to me. "It's no big deal!" Talk about putting things in perspective.

BTW: To a lot of other regular posters on ST that I have never met, thanks for being here.

http://www.EpixGear.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As resonated by everyone before me, Chris was truly a good man. I had the pleasure of knowing him since 2007. Each year I could count on seeing him at various races and he always made his way over to come chat with me and always asked first how I was doing and how training and racing were going. His passion for the sport and for the people in it was always evident. I was there the day he finished Syracuse 70.3 after a bike crash and ran it in for a PR even with a badly banged up leg. He was so proud (as he should have been). I can't say enough how sorry I am for his loss and how my heart goes out to his family.

Bryan Parker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Fnishing Tupper Lake with one of his kids....take 20 minutes off to get his finish time....complete transformation from fat guy to skinny guy done! How appropriate that at the Tupper Lake finish, the title sponsor is Lake Placid Pub and Brewery!!!

82791-170-033

Thanks for finding this pic, Dev! This was the day that I alluded to earlier in the thread. I was standing there in the chute watching him bring it home, and about 20 yards out, Matt ran out of the crowd to "tow" Chris to the line. You could see that it was a moment of tremendous pride for both of them. He had an awesome race that day, and I can't think of a better finish. I hope that Jenny and the kids can look back on moments like this with fondness, and the knowledge that his endeavours were never truly individual - it was always a team effort.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard about Chris's death on the local news, as I live about 20 minutes south of him. I'm sure our paths have crossed at various races around the region, as my husband and I are both involved with the local tri club and numerous races. Such a sad tragedy and my heart goes out to his wife and children. :(
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [DougRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your post brought tears to my eyes. I spent the evening wrestling with my kids and letting them know just how important they are to me. Thanks Chris G. for being a great Dad and reminding us all what is important through this maze called life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am gutted. Condolences to the friends and family of Chris G.

Been a while since I had a tear in my eye, but this news and this thread took care of that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris and his family will be in our prayers, particularly through the holiday season.
Last edited by: Koz: Nov 22, 11 6:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. I didn't really know him, but these always hit close to home. Chris and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I'm trying to remember all the great things about him. Who is going to step up the smacktalk in memory of Chris. He would not want all of us sitting around feeling sorry, rather, he'd expect someone to tell ML that he's going to get bitch slapped at AZ. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone like Chris on the upward trajectory who could pick up the baton from him and take ML out....then again, no one will pick the Baton up from him!

Fnishing Tupper Lake with one of his kids....take 20 minutes off to get his finish time....complete transformation from fat guy to skinny guy done! How appropriate that at the Tupper Lake finish, the title sponsor is Lake Placid Pub and Brewery!!!

82791-170-033

Crap, I'm sitting at my desk with tears in my eyes. Makes me want to hug my kids and not let go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My condolances. Only chatted on the forum. .......................loss for words
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of years ago, my sister lost her husband in a similar manner. It is a truly devastating event. I wish to express my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Chris G.

I also want to pass my sincere wish that those who are most affected by his loss find the strength to rebuild and carry on. Use his desire to achieve as motivation in your life.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just heard the news from Patrick McCrann. Chris was a super guy, period. His spirit and enthusiasm will certainly be missed. The community and world has lost a good man. My prayers and heart go out to his family during this time.

He will be missed.

Nicholas Gernt

Quote | Reply

Chris on his final climb at Lake Placid 2011. He snagged a Kona spot, worked damn hard for it. Guys like Chris do not come around very often. I hope his children understand how great a man he was, many of us were proud to have known him.

Nicholas Gernt

Last edited by: Need4Speed305: Nov 22, 11 8:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Don't take recreational athletics too seriously,” Chris said to me after I told him I hadn’t had a single beer for 37 weeks before IMLP08. At the time I didn’t know much about Chris, nor did I understand what he meant. I think I know what he means now!

American Zofingen 2011

IMLP09 – Chris, Chris, Dave

Pre Whiteface Mtn. 2010

Pre Whiteface Mtn. 2010

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Great race, great report - well done. Have to admit though that I'm kind of shocked to discover you have a last name."
-Me in a post to Chris G after IMLP. I seriously didn't know his last name until the picture of the rolldown slots showing his name just a couple below the cutline. He seemed a little larger than life and so "Chris G" (here and on EN) seemed perfect.

"Nice report. I would not worry about shaving your legs. It would be easier to cut 10 minutes out of your transitions or maybe even swim occasionally."
-Chris G in a post to me after IMC

And that, in a nutshell, was the Chris I (virtually) knew. Kind, funny, quick (and sharp) witted, insightful and eager to share his opinion. The annoying thing wasn't how quick he was with his strong opinions - it was how frequently they turned out to actually be right.

Never met the guy, but always thought I would get to buy him a beer someday - sad that I won't get the chance now.

I don't know him well enough to be sure, but I get the feeling that if he had to choose how he had to go, this would probably be one of the ways - just not the time. I certainly got the feeling that he lived most of his days to the fullest.

Thoughts with his friends and family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paul, you said it best. Still numb from the news. I just can't get my mind around it. I've known Chris' name for years but really just met him this past Sept at the Lake George tri fest. Just simply an engaging guy with a quick smile. Although extremely competitive, he wanted you to do your best, too. We all should always keep him in mind when we attend and compete in our races.
Ted Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too met Chris through the EN forums and over the past year he has given incredible advice and help to someone he had never met. I was fortunate enough to meet Chris this year at IMLP when he encouraged me to keep moving forward when he passed me on the run. What a sad day. May his family take comfort in knowing what a great man he was. RIP.
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [BladesofSteel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember also seeing him last year in Syracuse...first by noticing the gruesome bloody leg and then realizing it was Chris whose leg I was staring at. He told me the whole story and was really proud of 1) finishing and 2) having a PR day.

I always looked forward to seeing him in Lake Placid and talking about stuff at the Brew Pub.

Ironic that I saw the story in the paper about the runners at the Philly marathon and thought of the affected families.

Gonna miss his smile and passion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only knew Chris through ST, but he seemed like a great guy ... here is an article about him from today's Philly Daily News:

http://www.philly.com/...html?cmpid=124488429

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman
Quote Reply

Prev Next