Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fuji Transonic vs. Cervelo S5
Quote | Reply
Tour magazine recently tested 16 aero road bikes from 8 different companies. The wind tunnel test data can be found here:

http://www.tour-magazin.de/...o-renner/a34659.html

(Thanks, jackmott, for locating that, and so quickly!)

Since I'm in need of a new road bike and like the looks of the new Fuji Transonic, I was interested in how well it matched up with the Cervelo S5. I therefore eyeballed the data off the curves for both bikes fitted with Zipp 404 wheels to produce the graph below:

Note that aside from the wheels, the bikes (tested w/ Tour's half-dummy) were equipped as sold by the manufacturer, which means that the Cervelo was fitted with their slick aero-topped handlebar, whereas the Fuji had round Oval bars.

Bottom line would seem to be that there's very little difference between the two bikes, except at high yaw angles (e.g., strong crosswind situation), in which case being on the Fuji means having to produce ~5 W more power to go the same speed.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Feb 25, 15 14:25
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji Transonic vs. Cervelo S5 [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That headtube/fork interaction is kinda ugly.
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji Transonic vs. Cervelo S5 [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
That headtube/fork interaction is kinda ugly.

And yet, the Transonic essentially matches the S5 at low yaw angles, which is where you might expect the Cervelo's aero handlebars to provide the biggest advantage.

(I would hypothesize that Steve Fairchild et al. applied the lessons they learned in designing the Norcom Straight - with it's back-of-the-fork TRP brake - to help "manage" the airflow coming off the front tire of the Transonic. IOW, in this case looks may very well be decieving.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should've added that I was saying that based purely off an aesthetic perspective ha.

I just saw (this afternoon) my first Norcom Straight in person and I have to say, it looks pretty dang good... (aesthetic and "eyeball aero" this time)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, the price/spec difference is pretty massive.

For $5500 you get the S5 with ultegra and mavic cosmic elite wheels. For 5500 you get the transonic sl with red 22 and carbon wheels, or for 4700 you can get the dura ace and carbon wheel 1.3.

Not to mention, street prices for the Fuji tend to be another 10-15% lower whereas lots of shops sell cervelo at retail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tour's testing was showing that the aerobars essentially had no effect. Look at the S3 vs S5 data.

There's still plenty of things wrong with their methodology
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji Transonic vs. Cervelo S5 [justkeepedaling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justkeepedaling wrote:
Tour's testing was showing that the aerobars essentially had no effect. Look at the S3 vs S5 data.

S3 or S2?

For this they tested an S2, but with different wheels than the S5, so hard to compare. S2 was clearly slower, though:

http://www.tour-magazin.de/...27.html#.VO8ciPnF_w8

Now if you're referring to a previous test of an S3, good catch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
(Thanks, jackmott, for locating that, and so quickly!)

I pulled it up by going to that website http://aeroweenie.com/data.html
and typing Fuji in the search =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but I wonder what this graph would look like if the S2 had the same wheels and same bar as the S5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was interested to read this thread because there's so many cervelo diehards on this website and there always seems to be a prejudice against fuji on ST.

Don't get me wrong, Cervelo makes great stuff.... But Cervelo always seems to be the collective focus of ST.

*just to be transparent, I have a Norcom.
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji Transonic vs. Cervelo S5 [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, but resale on a Fuji is also pennies compared to a Cervelo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
after a recent ride in gunk, I contemplated getting rid of my under bb brake felt AR4. I really dislike the under bb set up, as it gets completely f'd up in bad weather early season. Then, I was having a hard time finding anything relatively inexpensive with a normally mounted rear brake, until I stumbled upon the Fuji. Next, I found this thread with links to the aero data and figure, I might just have to stick with the felt and not ride it outdoors in future until sandy soup season is over.
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji Transonic vs. Cervelo S5 [slow123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo diehard here.
Fuji Norcom and Transonic are great.
=)

slow123 wrote:
I was interested to read this thread because there's so many cervelo diehards on this website and there always seems to be a prejudice against fuji on ST.

Don't get me wrong, Cervelo makes great stuff.... But Cervelo always seems to be the collective focus of ST.

*just to be transparent, I have a Norcom.

Quote Reply
Re: Fuji Transonic vs. Cervelo S5 [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For $5500 you get the S5 with ultegra and mavic cosmic elite wheels. For 5500 you get the transonic sl with red 22 and carbon wheels, or for 4700 you can get the dura ace and carbon wheel 1.3.

You can get a Transonic with 105 for $1800 retail. And they are often heavily discounted as you mentioned.

Quote Reply
Re: Fuji Transonic vs. Cervelo S5 [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have thoughts on the Oval Concepts components/accessories? I believe all the Transonics from 2.3 and lower come with a Oval crank rather than Shimano.
Last edited by: flynnzu: Jun 16, 15 13:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Checked out this bike today. I have a very hard time believing it's even remotely close to a S5.

The down tube is huge. The seat tube doesn't seem optimized.

If they took the Norcom Straight tube shapes and made them into a road bike (kind of like their new track bike), I'd put money on it being much faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji Transonic vs. Cervelo S5 [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
new S5 tubes are pretty fat too

Nick B wrote:
Checked out this bike today. I have a very hard time believing it's even remotely close to a S5.

If they took the Norcom Straight tube shapes and made them into a road bike (kind of like their new track bike), I'd put money on it being much faster.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i guess this is where the eyball-windtunnel falls apart. that bike is fugly. the S5 is pure. sigh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:

The Norcom Straight tubes aren't all that narrow...yet it tests essentially equal to a P4.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

The Norcom Straight tubes aren't all that narrow...yet it tests essentially equal to a P4.

Norcom skinnier than P5
Only place it's not really skinny is the HT. I was surprised when I measured it that it was much more svelte than my original impression.

The only thing that lets the Norcom down is the stock bars - poor fit range and they look cheap. Obviously not a problem if you start from the frame as you did.

Interesting, the Track Elite is much wider. Which suggests a focus on stiffness since trackies are so enamoured of that aspect of a frame.
Last edited by: cyclenutnz: Mar 27, 15 17:37
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji Transonic vs. Cervelo S5 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread. I just got spanked by a car and a new bike is in order (well, in a few months at least).

Any new data, new thoughts on the transonic? I definitely prioritize aero in my bikes and if I can add an aero handlebar and be very close to an s3/s5, I'd be very happy.