Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fuji D6 3T Ventus Front End Movement
Quote | Reply
If I hold my front wheel still and take my 3T Ventus handlebars and try to turn to the right or left, they will move (while the wheel stays straight).
Something was obviously not tightened back up at the bike shop (shocker)!
So I'm hoping it's just the single pinch bolt holding them to the stem.
I'd rather deal with something like that than the cap / compression bolt (which seems a bit more complex).
I didn't have time to take a close look as I had to get on with work. Will take a close look tonight but any thoughts?
Simple tightening of the pinch bolt or no ?
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji D6 3T Ventus Front End Movement [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you have two pinch bolts on the stem, make sure you torque each of them down equally
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji D6 3T Ventus Front End Movement [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's actually just one on the back side of the stem.
I'm going to try tightening that tonight and hope that it's the simple solution (I never got a breathing moment to even look at it last night).
I really hope that's all it is b/c the cap atop the stem seems tough to work with.
When I originally got back from my ride, I tried moving the handlebars from side to side by holding the wheel still to see if I could tell that the pinch bolt might be slipping.
At the time, it didn't SEEM like that was it (because I would have thought if that were the case, the stem would remain still while the handlebars / pinch bolt moved). That didn't seem to happen but then again, I may have just missed it.
I think the pinch bilt says 8 NM MAX next to it so I'll give that a whirl and hope that as I start to tighten it, realize that it has been lose.
Thanks for points guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes only one bolt to tighten, I should have known that since I have these bars too (but are up for sale). My road bike has two bolts on the stem so I may have confused myself.
Remember that the bolt inside the stem should be tightened first, but do not tighten it too much! It only holds the stem on straight so that you can tighten the one side stem bolt down. If you have a carbon steerer tube, be extremely careful with the torque. If the steerer is aluminum, don't worry about it too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji D6 3T Ventus Front End Movement [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to not even have to mess with the bolt inside the stem.
The cap (on top of stem) has 4 holes and I'm not even sure how to remove it myself (other than to use two small phillips heads strategically placed in the holes).
There doesn't seem to be much if any play up and down in the fork so my hope is that it's all good.
It is carbon so I'm going to torque to 7 NM first (and hope that it's not already tight. Like I said, if I start tightening to 7 NM first and the pinch screw turns, my guess is that the screw was simply not tight enough and I'll take it up to the 8 NM. If it's tight when I start well then sucks ...... must be the bolt inside the stem and I'll have to decide if I'm going to venture there or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
please post pictures.

are you sure you have the 3T Ventus integrated aerobar / stem combo?

Y-Tri wrote:
I'm hoping to not even have to mess with the bolt inside the stem.
The cap (on top of stem) has 4 holes and I'm not even sure how to remove it myself (other than to use two small phillips heads strategically placed in the holes).
There doesn't seem to be much if any play up and down in the fork so my hope is that it's all good.
It is carbon so I'm going to torque to 7 NM first (and hope that it's not already tight. Like I said, if I start tightening to 7 NM first and the pinch screw turns, my guess is that the screw was simply not tight enough and I'll take it up to the 8 NM. If it's tight when I start well then sucks ...... must be the bolt inside the stem and I'll have to decide if I'm going to venture there or not.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji D6 3T Ventus Front End Movement [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are the only two pics I have with me at the office:
http://imgur.com/CwXA96f
That's the cap.

And:
http://imgur.com/uxjx0zN
That's my wheel between the aerobars (currently straight) but I can hold that wheel and tug the aerobars to the right and/or left.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tighten the bolt at the back of the stem. That will fix it unless you can feel play in the fork/headset as well, in which case you'll need to remove the top cap.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji D6 3T Ventus Front End Movement [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure any play in the fork/headset is extremely minimal (to the point I'm probably just thinking I'm feeling something there). For fear of tightening that too much (to where it's so snug that it's not moving freely), I'll start as you suggested and tighten that one pinch bolt at the back of the stem.
Out of curiosity, how would one remove that type cap?
Thanks all. Feeling more confident that it may just be as simple as tightening the one screw and hey .......... I don't work tomorrow so maybe I'll actually get around to it!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was the pinch bolt.
Easy fix.
Done and done.
I started at 5 NM and that was turning as I tightened it so I knew I was good.
Brought it up to 7 - 7.5 NM.
Thanks all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
had this happen a few times on my D6. annoying as hell.
but easy to fix
Quote Reply