Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fueling Long Rides
Quote | Reply
Training for my first IM in may (IMTX) and did my first century yesterday. How does everyone fuel their long rides (80+ miles)? Do you carry extra nutrition in your jersey pockets for the 2nd half? Refuel at a gas station? How many times do you stop to refuel or grab water?

I train with First Endurance products so I carried EFS PRO powder (240 calories) and 2 liquid shots in my jersey pocket and mixed them with water at my 50 mile turnaround gas station yesterday. I carried 3 bottles on my ride (1 BTA - EFS pro, 1 downtube - liquid shot, 1 behind the seat - water). All 3 bottles were just about empty by the time I got to the turnaround.... maybe a little liquid shot left. I mixed my stored nutrition with some water from the gas station and then went on my home. Coming home, I noticed I was really thirsty. Out of need, I stopped at about the 75 mile mark to refill 2 of my water bottles at park with a water fountain. Looking back on the ride now, should I have stopped sooner than 50 miles to refill my water? I think I was too de-hydrated on the way home. FWIW, I typically take 3 bottled waters from an aid station during a 70.3. I rode 50 miles yesterday with only 1 bottle of water yesterday.

Just curious how others fuel their long rides.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Fueling Long Rides [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep it pretty simple. I use Clif Electrolyte drink powder. I pack a bottle's worth into a baggie that I twist and tie shut, and take along one of those for about every hour I'm riding. 80 miles on Saturday meant two bottles pre-made and three baggies carried in my pocket. I can't quite manage to drink a full bike bottle every hour, so I usually finish with an extra baggie of powder for the next ride.

For food calories, on an 80-mile ride, I'm doing a Clif Shot every 45 minutes or so, and probably a Mojo Bar at the half-way point.

For a longer ride, I'm adding in more food calories, like yam mashed with almond butter and honey, also packed into single-serving baggies.

This all fits into pockets and Bento Box and is easy to replicate during races. The only thing I do different in a race is to use the race drink if it's Powerade or Gatorade Perform. I also will use the bananas they hand out during the race for extra calories.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make a multi-hour bottle of concentrated fuel that you sip on as needed.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have several ~2 hr loops from my house I use for longer rides so I can pitstop during long rides. There aren't any gas stations at convenient locations (eg without risking getting run off the road, etc). So I just use my house as a pit stop.

Sometimes if I really want to get a solid century without pit stopping, Ill become a camel and have my BTA, downtube, two bottles on the back and a camelback for hydration. Living in texas it's imperative to have plenty of hydration especially in summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the time I'll circle back to my car every 2 hours

Other times I'll stop at gas stations for fluids and extra calories

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a good idea to simulate the race conditions when you can. So while your friends may stop at gas stations and buy stuff, try to bring everything with you other than water which you might grab at the handups.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tons of ways to skin the cat. Cals, water and salt--how you get em? in what order? and amount? The more times you have at it, the more ways you will try. Don't be afraid to experiment to find what is best for you. I think IMTX will be a gatorade supported event. You would do well to mix in some of that in training in order to make race day easier on your gut as well as your mind. Keep it simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a very cheap alternative is to carry maltodextrin in powder with you in a ziplock bag. Add to any kind of drink you get when you stop on your rides. It s a excellent source and the main ingredient of most quality endurance drinks.

it s also a very save and effective way to fuel during a long distance triathlon....allow for high amount of calories and very little chance of upset digestive system.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Fueling Long Rides [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Food and gels - I carry with me as I would during a race. For fluids, you will get extra water and gatorade on the course, so I feel like stopping at a gas station is not "cheating" during my training. As others mentioned, ziplock bag with powder is a great way to bring extra fuel, then you just need to buy (or water fountain) the water. I dont see how you would ever be able to carry enough fluids on your own for training ride. IM Boulder I took water and gatorade at every aid station. I drank 7 bottles provided by Ironman, plus my own two. The water I got on course went on my head and body.

For IM Boulder, I cut a water bottle in half and made a cup to store extra gels. My kit does not have many pockets. See the pics. This worked out well for a trash can too.

http://t.co/GfgcQmGkBL
http://t.co/bA9uAXap10

Jeff Abbott - @run1fast
jabbott@headsweats.com
Headsweats - Custom Team singlets $8 / Cycling Jerseys $25
Abbott Event Solutions - Brand Rep and Event Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many different ways to tackle this, but the two driving factors will be what your needs are, and what is available on the route you plan . . or not!

As others have said, I am always a fan of the simple approach. I tend to stay away from hyper-proprietary drink concoctions. They just make life complicated - for training and for racing. When racing long, I was always a big proponent of making as much use of on-course aid as I could - that's why it's there, and it always worked well for me.

Water availability is key, and for really long routes, with limited or no availability something needs to be worked out in this regard. That being said, it's rare to ride these days, where NOTHING will be available. No matter the length of the ride, I always plan it out either ahead of time or on the fly, a stop at the half-way mark. Replenish water as needed. I typically will be carrying the calories in the form of gels/bars that I need + 10%

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only real issue that you should need to plan for is where to refill water on your route. Sounds like you have a pretty complicated nutrition plan. I carry 2 concentrated bottles of Infinit and a third bottle of water. I'll refill the water and sometimes an empty Infinit bottle if its really hot out and I need more water. I usually carry a spare bar or gel in jersey pocket just in case I get caught out and need extra calories, but thats rarely happened. 3 bottle cages are plenty as long as you have somewhere to refill water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just drink water, how else will you get to race weight. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One pancake stop will go long way to fueling a long ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Fueling Long Rides [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I'm trying to do a race simulation I carry everything I plan to use. I don't actually follow the exact same nutrition, only because It hasn't been an issue and I've practiced it enough. I mainly live off the course. I'll carry 5 large bottles for very long rides. I supplement with some homemade solid food, because gels get expensive after a while. I've found that what more critical is timing, overall hydration and racing at a pace that you've trained for. Nutrition tends to be an escape goat for bad pacing or poor nutrition timing... such as eating or drinking too soon after T1.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fueling Long Rides [shredz2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think its that complicated...

Yesterdays ride was 5 hours and finished with 102 miles

Start on bike with 3 bottles
1. 240 calories of EFS Pro (6 scoops or 2 servings)
2. 800 calories of liquid shot (two 5 oz flasks essentially) - this is pretty concentrated
3. Water

In back jersey pocket that I mixed with water at gas station around half way mark:
2. 800 calories of liquid shot (two 5 oz flasks essentially)

At gas station, I also refilled water.

I personally think I'm good on the calorie side as I think 2000+ calories should be plenty. I wouldn't necessarily take all of it unless needed.

I guess I was more curious about water intake. I think I need to find a water stop around the 30 mile mark to keep hydration levels up as I think I will pay for it on the way home if I don't.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's even less complicated...

3 bottles of water, refill at gas station near 1/2 way

2 peanut butter sandwiches (or peanut butter wrapped in a soft tortilla) + 1 banana + 4-5 cookies. ~1600 calories if you go heavy on the peanut butter.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do one super concentrated bottle of UCan, and a few vega bars.

I'll echo a few other folks here and say try to train as you're going to race so experiment with whatever works for you as long as you can carry it and/or plan on getting it at aid stations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my last couple of 100 milers I mapped out a ~33 mi route that had a similar profile to that of my upcoming race. I stop at the car after each loop and grab water, gatorade, and food. That way I know I will have exactly what I want and train with. I bring a cooler so it will be cold. Plus the park where I leave my car has a porta-potty just in case. I refill quickly and go (2 mins tops). There are a couple of gas stations along the way but I don't want to have to wait in line to buy something or be at their mercy with what is available. Plus I don't have to leave my bike unattended. I can also cut the ride short if I'm having a bad day or mechanical.

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster" - Greg LeMond
Quote Reply
Re: Fueling Long Rides [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
I do one super concentrated bottle of UCan, and a few vega bars.

I'll echo a few other folks here and say try to train as you're going to race so experiment with whatever works for you as long as you can carry it and/or plan on getting it at aid stations.

i go with UCAN (with protein) and water (with electrolytes). That's all, folks.

ETA: UCAN lasts entire ride, and stop to get water at various locs. For training, i'm prob going to add a behind-the-seat bottle for extra hydration.
Last edited by: d00d: Jan 26, 15 12:01
Quote Reply
Re: Fueling Long Rides [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Here's even less complicated...

3 bottles of water, refill at gas station near 1/2 way

2 peanut butter sandwiches (or peanut butter wrapped in a soft tortilla) + 1 banana + 4-5 cookies. ~1600 calories if you go heavy on the peanut butter.

Indeed... That's what I do as well. PB&J, bananas, energy bars (GCN flapjacks!), rice cakes from the Feed Zone book, etc.

I'm all for simulating race conditions, and I do it constantly on the run, but on the bike, where it's rather easy to carry real food, I'm not gonna make myself suffer on gels unless I really have to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mix two bottles of 2 scoops EFS 3 scoops Carbopro. add a peanut butter and honey sandwich around the halfway mark

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Last edited by: Billabong: Jan 26, 15 17:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I don't think its that complicated...

Yesterdays ride was 5 hours and finished with 102 miles

Start on bike with 3 bottles
2. 800 calories of liquid shot (two 5 oz flasks essentially) - this is pretty concentrated
3. Water

In back jersey pocket that I mixed with water at gas station around half way mark:
2. 800 calories of liquid shot (two 5 oz flasks essentially)

At gas station, I also refilled water.

I personally think I'm good on the calorie side as I think 2000+ calories should be plenty. I wouldn't necessarily take all of it unless needed.

I guess I was more curious about water intake. I think I need to find a water stop around the 30 mile mark to keep hydration levels up as I think I will pay for it on the way home if I don't.

Damn man... That's a lot of kcals.

I'm from the camp of eat a meal before you go and don't eat on the bike.

I don't do training rides longer than 80 miles, and try to consume nothing but water on the bike. I would have "bonked" like hell years ago, but I think I have really taught my system to use fats for energy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an electrolyte drink sometimes that I make it's a mixture of maltodextrin and sugar or just sugar, dehydrated coconut water, salt, lil bit of baking soda, and a small amount of pea/rice protein mix sometimes. I only do that if going extra hard I bring the powder in bags or have it mixed, but I usually get these bars that are dried fruit literally all it is they're called "That's it" I eat one of those every 30min ish. I stop and get coconut water/random goodies at some point usually. Regular water as much as I need. I have chia seeds and starchy carbs before I leave home, chia to reduce inflammation. I have a tritone with 2 bottles and I bta a regular bottle sometimes. I keep a lot of stuff in my torhans bento and pockets if I need to. I switch it up a bit tho if I feel like it
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Jan 26, 15 21:01
Quote Reply
Re: Fueling Long Rides [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
Make a multi-hour bottle of concentrated fuel that you sip on as needed.

If you do not plan to use the race course nutrition, then a super concentrate is the easiest way to carry all those calories you want. I would race IM with a 1200 Kcal bottle + electrolytes on my seat tube and regular water in the down-tube cage. Mark the concentrate bottle with 200Kcal hash marks and just be sure to hit a hash mark every hour ( I raced on 200Kcal/.hr, you may need more/less) and the entire down tube water bottle at the same time increment. I made sure to shake the bottle before hitting it so I didn't get all the electrolytes in the first sip since they float to the top a lot. Worked well for several races. Just in case I dropped it somewhere along the ride I kept a back-up 600Kcal bottle in my special needs so it was there if I needed it.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One bottle of G2 in the frame and mr VISA in the pocket......

Starbucks. 7-11 or Conoco....easy as that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next