Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

From BarryP running to HIM training
Quote | Reply
So...I’ve listened and for the past 3.5 months i’ve Been focusing on running and the Barry P plan. 6 days a week and got my running up to just under 50mpw (this is good for this 220lbs ex hockey player). The running was a mix of tempo, recovery and long. Didn’t get hurt and the running seemed to work great.

NOW THOUGH, i’m Going from running only to including 3 days of cycling (2 tempo/speed and 1 long), 2 days of swimming (on two of my cycling days), and running for 4 days (2 tempo/speed, 1 long, and one short after a bike). And light weights 2-3x a week. This was my plan anyways.

Just looking for advice on the switch to the new training. I feel weird going from the constant running (was in a nice rhythm with my workout structure), and feel like i’m “Losing” some running fitness. But maybe that has to happen to get the other sports involved?? I don’t have a lot of more time to add in other runs. But just reaching out on any advice, or stick to the plan?
Quote Reply
Re: From BarryP running to HIM training [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
So...I’ve listened and for the past 3.5 months i’ve Been focusing on running and the Barry P plan. 6 days a week and got my running up to just under 50mpw (this is good for this 220lbs ex hockey player). The running was a mix of tempo, recovery and long. Didn’t get hurt and the running seemed to work great.

NOW THOUGH, i’m Going from running only to including 3 days of cycling (2 tempo/speed and 1 long), 2 days of swimming (on two of my cycling days), and running for 4 days (2 tempo/speed, 1 long, and one short after a bike). And light weights 2-3x a week. This was my plan anyways.

Just looking for advice on the switch to the new training. I feel weird going from the constant running (was in a nice rhythm with my workout structure), and feel like i’m “Losing” some running fitness. But maybe that has to happen to get the other sports involved?? I don’t have a lot of more time to add in other runs. But just reaching out on any advice, or stick to the plan?

I focus on enjoying my training, I don't want it to be a chore, I don't want to ride in the cold, rain, wind etc so I ride little and run lots. Run volume is 45 - 50 miles a week, bike is 1 ride a week - around 55 miles. Plus I swim 3 - 4 times a week. So yeah not ideal and not an even spread, but as I said, the importance is enjoying the training, staying motivated and fresh. I've also found that my run training has helped my bike, I rode a 2.27 and ran a 1.37 on a 100F day. Not blisteringly quick, but I competed with guys who were doing triple the bike volume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skip the weights and run easy on those days
Quote Reply
Re: From BarryP running to HIM training [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
skip the weights and run easy on those days

I was thinking the same and basically is my plan.. I do need some sort of Prehab though since I love to hurt myself however I am just doing a little bit of body weight exercises and Band work 3 times a week before stretching really well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always "feel" like I lose run fitness when I start to add more cycling and cutback on running, but my times at road races are always very similar. The one thing I really have to keep an eye on is that my cycling workouts are as hard as my run training was. If I don't monitor closely, I'll get in the habit of putting in the roughly the same training hours, but not the same effort levels.
Quote Reply
Re: From BarryP running to HIM training [pauljra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pauljra wrote:
I always "feel" like I lose run fitness when I start to add more cycling and cutback on running, but my times at road races are always very similar. The one thing I really have to keep an eye on is that my cycling workouts are as hard as my run training was. If I don't monitor closely, I'll get in the habit of putting in the roughly the same training hours, but not the same effort levels.
Effort won't be an issue as the bike days are tempo/speed and those are replacing the recovery/easy runs that were there before. Hoping I'm dancing the "fine line" of not too many hard days, but of different sports, so that my legs and body can fully recover. I do take one day off, and will have a "recovery week" every 4th week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been mixing 6 BarryP runs with 5 bikes & 2 or 3 swims for a while.

Mon/Wed are easier days, short run & z2 bike (+swim on wed)
Tue/Thurs are hard days, with a medium run & hard bike.
Friday is the recovery day, just a short run.
On the weekend I'll have a long run/ride and a couple of swims.

By Thursday I'm really looking forward to Friday..

I'm still in a marathon build, but shifting to 70.3 I'll be using a similar structure to the above, just changing the bike workouts (longer/more specific) & dialing back the run mileage.
Quote Reply