Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Frodeno' flat- again
Quote | Reply
I saw Frodeno lost out on another race due to a flat. I believe this is the third or forth time.
I thought the picture on ironman.com had a latex tube on ground at his feet.
Anyone else curious about tire/tube choice or am I just being an idiot arm chair quarterback?
Perhaps he needs Pott's Gatorskins? Haha.
Anyone hear more about it?

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno' flat- again [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is switching all his stuff to "race day" parts the night before the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you seen/heard what caused the flat? Maybe he ran over a 3" staple, which would have flatted a butyl tube just the same.

I highly doubt it was an installation error like some people are terrified of when it comes to latex tubes.

Maybe he was riding so close to the lead motto that the exhaust fumes blew up the tire. It's all speculation at this point.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I can add to this thread is that one has to wonder at what point Frodo will try road tubeless. Not saying it's better, just saying I'd imagine the flat thing is in his mind by now and he's probably willing to experiment.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno' flat- again [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
All I can add to this thread is that one has to wonder at what point Frodo will try road tubeless. Not saying it's better, just saying I'd imagine the flat thing is in his mind by now and he's probably willing to experiment.

Given the current market (i.e. tire choice) and Jan's racing dynamic: you think road tubeless would be a good choice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do pros not know how to change a tire? I know getting a flat doesn't exactly help their race, but the top 5 spots were separated by 8 minutes.... Did he really need to spend 15 minutes changing the flat?!
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno' flat- again [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He addressed the cause (and critics) on instagram.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno' flat- again [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience riders who flat more often than the average just aren't as attentive to debry, holes and cracks in the road. Just sayin'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What clincher tire was Frodo riding, Zipp? I assumed he rode Conti but don't see a Conti logo on his website

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno' flat- again [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Continental. It's a prototype, basically the TT rubber thickness with the GP4000s "shark fin" tread pattern.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno' flat- again [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glukos Energy posted a picture of his rig on facebook a few days before the race with (training) Zipp 404 wheels and Conti GP TT tires. It would make sense he'd race on the same tires but that's just my guess.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno' flat- again [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can someone enlighten the rest of us about what other races Jan has flatted in and compare his flat stats to others, most notably other top pros? To those using the same equipment set up? Without a pure analysis of how many times he flats compared to others, this thread is a bunch of slowtwitchers criticising a 2x ironman world champ/gold medalist/140.6 WR holder/all other accolades on what he's doing "wrong"...

Doesn't make much sense to me. Shit happens. Including flat tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
way2sloow wrote:

He is confusing tubular with tubeless...

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno' flat- again [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kona 2014, cost him a win. I remember another, but can't think of it now.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a tire... not a bulletproof vest haha what do you expect?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
Kona 2014, cost him a win. I remember another, but can't think of it now.

I mean this in the least dick way possible...but if you can't think of it you don't really remember it.

I'm just trying to get a handle on how this debate has started and what it's based on. Did the flat tire truly "cost" him 2014 kona? Undeniably there are no other variables that could account for him not being in 1st place? You never know what would really happen if something did or didn't happen. Race dynamics, the way people adaptively react or change performance based on where another competitor is (10 mins back or running 2 feet behind them...).
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno' flat- again [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Given the current market (i.e. tire choice) and Jan's racing dynamic: you think road tubeless would be a good choice?

Maybe the new Vittoria. TomA has mentioned a "repair technique" that's "much faster than changing a tube". That said it appears Jan had a sidewall cut so it likely wouldn't have made a difference.

I was just kind of broadly speculating that flats might have gotten into his head and he might try something different. Based on his Instagram comments, it appears he is confident in his equipment choices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching Kona in 2014, I "believe" the flat cost him the win. No one will ever know.
Would Sanders have won anyway on Saturday? Maybe? He sure had a great race.
In my original post, I asked for more info. I got it. He cut a sidewall which is not tube installation and is just bad luck.
I asked if I was just being a arm chair quarterback- I was.
Thanks for paying attention and not trying to be a dick.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hah yeah I hear ya. I brought it up bc this came up in the other Ocan side thread i think and I just wondered where the "Jan loses lots of races bc of flats" talk is coming from. I follow the sport closely but hadn't heard this or noticed it myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona 2014, and also Frankfurt - twice in same race- said it was cobbles :-) (2014/2015?). He finished both of those races, but it is easier to make up time in a full.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno' flat- again [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nebmot wrote:
way2sloow wrote:

He is confusing tubular with tubeless...

In saying clinchers are faster? I don't think so.

Clinchers are faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno' flat- again [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubeless is clincher ffs... no shit clinchers are faster...

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I echo the new Vittoria G+ series. They have Graphene which is supposedly insanely puncture resistant with low rolling resistance. But thats manufactures claims...
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno' flat- again [DVM_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah about that... BRR puts its puncture resistance slightly worse than the GP TT. In the real world tubeless might be more "flat" resistant (not puncture resistant!) due to sealant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which, of course, can be achieved in a tubed tire as well. Not gonna help sidewall cuts though.

Quote:
In the real world tubeless might be more "flat" resistant (not puncture resistant!) due to sealant.
Quote Reply

Prev Next