Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Friels saddle height method.
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ever used his method of finding the saddle height. Getting on your bike in the Aero position in your bare feet with your heel on the pedal at the bottom of your pedal stroke.? Does this get your close or is it too low.
Quote Reply
Re: Friels saddle height method. [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always used Lemond's or Cobb's calculation. Both measurements take your inseam (in millimeters, measure from the floor to the top of your crotch). Lemond says multiply that number by .883, and John Cobb says .889. Then set the top of your saddle to the middle of the crank. I find that either one of those values is a fantastic starting point, and I raise or lower it from there. I'm not sure how those shake out using the Friels method, but I'd be interested to hear how close it gets.
Quote Reply
Re: Friels saddle height method. [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 questions. Are you saying the middle of the crank as in the middle of your bottom bracket and are you measuring in centimeters
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's middle of the BB, and it doesn't matter what units you use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you guys trying as hard as you can to not learn anything on this site?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Friels saddle height method. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please feel free to elaborate Dan. I've been through several bike fits two of which were guys who have gone to the fist School and all three fittings gave me different saddle Heights. So at this point I'm assuming I'm on my own to figure it out what is correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol. To be fair....you do reference one of the aforementioned methods in this article. Granted, its from 2008.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Care to post the different fits in totality so we can see a) how different they are & b) if anything looks amiss?
Quote Reply
Re: Friels saddle height method. [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been over a period of a year-and-a-half that I've had all three of those fits done and without going back and actually setting the bike to those measurements again and taking new pictures I no longer have that information. With the exception of the latest one that I have even started to change cuz it does not feel right. Mind you I'm still making changes three and a half weeks out from my first 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure where they're at anymore but there are pictures on slowtwitch of my Guru fit at some point
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be clear, I was suggesting that you post the numbers provided for in the fits. Not pictures of the fits themselves.

i.e. How different were the seat heights? Did they involve other changes, such as crankarm length, or fore/aft movement of the saddle? What were the pad locations? etc, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Please feel free to elaborate Dan. I've been through several bike fits two of which were guys who have gone to the fist School and all three fittings gave me different saddle Heights. So at this point I'm assuming I'm on my own to figure it out what is correct.

let's say that you're a toe pointer. (anquetil; armstrong) or, let's say you're a heel scraper (lemond). that determines saddle height if - and only if - you use knee angle as the metric that determines saddle height. which i think is the wisest choice.

if you use limb length, or inseam, you disqualify your pedaling action as a factor in the equation. this is the difference between static and dynamic bike fitting: one method does not care how you ride the bike; the other incorporates how you ride the bike. it's knee angle its most open (obtuse) that should determine saddle height.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just measure the angle of the leg at extension (not 6pm, but more like 5pm on a clock face). Just set your camera up, hit record, check the angle, and raise and lower accordingly.

Fishbum wrote:
Has anyone ever used his method of finding the saddle height. Getting on your bike in the Aero position in your bare feet with your heel on the pedal at the bottom of your pedal stroke.? Does this get your close or is it too low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh. Got ya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. Good point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I often feel getting a bike fit is akin to asking a barber if you need a haircut.
Quote Reply
Re: Friels saddle height method. [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
I often feel getting a bike fit is akin to asking a barber if you need a haircut.

not if you go to a good barber. or a good fitter. put a video of yourself here on the forum. i'll tell you if you need a fitter. then take your helmet off and i'll tell you if you need a barber.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes (often?) this forum is a place of great truths. This thread warms my heart, makes me smile.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Friels saddle height method. [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For reference the formula that lemond uses works out exactly the same as using Friels heel method.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply