Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fridge (with water cooler/dispenser) recommendations
Quote | Reply
tl;dr: Can anyone recommend a decent fridge (36") fridge with a carbon water filter that fills a 28oz/700ml water bottle in a reasonable time with cold, filtered water.

I live in Vancouver, and hate the fact that I get bottled water delivered because our water is stinking full of chlorine. Which is really sad, because the water source itself is very clear - you can go up on the North Shore mountains and drink it and it tastes great. I have no idea why we then add so much chlorine to it (whilst bragging to the world that we're the only place that doesn't add flouride.) Getting water delivery when you live in a place with theoretically great water source is dumb.

My fridge (an 8yr old Kitchen Aid) dispenses clean cold water, but takes about a minute to fill a pint glass, which is too long.

A britta filter jug in the fridge tastes great, but takes up fridge space, and needs refilled more than once a day in summer.

I've considered joining in with the proper hippies who take their water bottles to the Lynn Headwaters and fill them directly.

It feels like a fridge with a filter should be able to fix this?

A
Quote Reply
Re: Fridge (with water cooler/dispenser) recommendations [ferretnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There might be a valve at your water supply that needs to be opened up a bit more.

You can add a 10" carbon filter in between the water supply and the fridge if you can find a spot to hide it. It will last a lot longer and be a lot cheaper than cartridges for your fridge. They're commonly used as pre-filters for reverse osmosis systems.

Something like that but with smaller diameter fittings.
Quote Reply
Re: Fridge (with water cooler/dispenser) recommendations [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually have my reverse osmosis system in the water line leading to my fridge.
Quote Reply
Re: Fridge (with water cooler/dispenser) recommendations [mclousing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does that cycle your RO on and off frequently?
Quote Reply
Re: Fridge (with water cooler/dispenser) recommendations [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I came ready to suggest the same thing. So thumbs up/ +1.

Also, I'd be really surprised if you're tasting chlorine. ;) Probably just some chloramines for residual disinfection, since chlorine causes major DBP issues. But since your source water is apparently super clean....maybe so. Sorry, couldn't help myself!
Last edited by: zcanody: Nov 24, 15 19:33
Quote Reply
Re: Fridge (with water cooler/dispenser) recommendations [ferretnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet in a double blind taste test, you cant taste the difference.

#$@%ing Vancouverites. Just about as bad as the California Douches.
Quote Reply
Re: Fridge (with water cooler/dispenser) recommendations [zcanody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the most part the RO is a passive system. The water goes into the RO system that then puts the water in a small 2 or 3 gallon pressure tank. Also I have more than just the fridge on it so I probably empty the tank every day or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
     For the most part, all fridges will fill at the same rate. (More or less) once the filter wears in a little, it might go faster as it wears out, or slower as it gums up. 36" is probably the most common size for refrigerators, so all of them will do the same basic function. It sounds to me like you're more looking for an in home filter (does the whole house) or a faucet filter. (Probably a better choice) they're much cheaper filters that attach to a faucet, or you could split the water line so there's a seperate spout for the filtered water. Much cheaper, and it doesn't take up much space under the sink. Filter lasts "about a year" and has as much faster fill rate. (Like any kitchen faucet) I'd suggest starting there if water is your main focus. Then get a fridge with. A tv on front and is a wifine hotspot... with blue tooth speakers, of course....
I have friends that go down to mount Shasta to fill their 5 gal jugs full of sweet sweet "mountain water". Seems like they waste more in gas getting there from Southern oregon... also, I just moved to the portland area, and your water is f@$#ing amazing. In chicago, we had to chew the tap water.
Quote Reply