Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

French Cycle Tour: Need bike transport advice
Quote | Reply
This is a very specific and random question.

I have a group of guys traveling to France in July who want to take their road bikes with to do some riding. They will be flying/training into Lyon and from their driving to Briancon where they will be based.

After a week in Briancon we need to get the bikes back up to Paris

So I need a solution for transporting the bikes from Lyon to Briancon and then from Briancon to Paris. Its a group of 15 so putting 15 people + luggage + 15 bikes into a car could prove difficult. Idea was to get some sort of bike transport to take all the bikes for us but I'm having trouble finding a solution.

Anyone got any good ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: French Cycle Tour: Need bike transport advice [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the train could be a solution if you take the slow one which usually accept bikes, I can look into that if that is a possibility you may consider.
Quote Reply
Re: French Cycle Tour: Need bike transport advice [def] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Yes I've looked at the train. The problem being that they are wanting to drive from Lyon to Briancon and then for the leg from Briancon to Paris the group will actually be going to Marseille first and then up to Paris.

Trying to get 15 bikes and their luggage onto the train from Marseille will be a nightmare...its on the Saturday after the TdF TT and the trains are generally packed getting back to Paris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We did a similar trip two years ago with fewer people, and are doing it again this year. Renting a van worked swimmingly for us. Bikes on the trains weren't much of a problem either, but don't even think
about taking them on the Paris metro.
Quote Reply
Re: French Cycle Tour: Need bike transport advice [MrB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

What kind of van did you rent? One that can fit people, luggage and bikes all in one?

Or just a dedicated bike one? and then a separate one for people?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

We used a regular sized Nissan van as there were only a five of us. Putting the bikes back in the bag/cases saved a lot room for sure. We are planning to the same thing for this year's Etap in Briancon before setting up camp in Genoble for some riding and tour watching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had to solve the dilemma of moving people and gear in Europe. Luckily, most of the car rental places have decent sized vans that are can range from us minivan size to full cargo (sprinter) vans. They can usually seat 8-10 people or some are setup as cargo haulers.

Depending on how you plan to utilize it there are a couple options:

- Rent 3 (9 passenger) vans and then move the rear seat to haul some bikes. (5 passengers and bikes per van)
- Rent 1 large cargo van and haul all the bikes in it. Get smaller cars to haul people around.

Keep in mind that it is nice to be able to split up the bikes to each van and allow groups to take their bikes and have different starting points for rides, but this is probably a little more expensive.

Finding parking for larger cargo vans can be somewhat difficult if you are not familiar with European parking and roads. You could also just rent the cargo van for times when you need to shuttle the bikes to/from the airports and different towns if cost is a concern.

There are others but you can look at the options from SIXT and Europcar rental cars for the various options and costs.

Quote Reply
Re: French Cycle Tour: Need bike transport advice [grindmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much. This is pretty much what we are looking at
Quote Reply
Re: French Cycle Tour: Need bike transport advice [grindmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Luggage mule. Maybe cheaper as you are only talking about two trips.

They pick bikes up and deliver them. Call them and see what they can do

Alternatively a 7 seat MPV took my hard case up right plus 5 passengers plus other luggage so i think i could get 3 cases in back plus hand luggage. No more than that.

Alternatively a transit

Finally http://www.alpine-transfer-company.com/transfers/lyon/

You can always get transfers BUT i'd do one transit and one MPV
Quote Reply
Re: French Cycle Tour: Need bike transport advice [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to figure out transport for 3 people, two bikes/cases and a little luggage for the Marmotte des Alpes in July.
Flying into Lyon and travelling a little after, then out of Geneva.
I think an MPV will do it but it's hard to be certain. A larger van is rather expensive.
A very different scale to the OP, but still a bit awkward!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This isn't what you asked, but why not rent high-end road bikes? I was in France last summer and rented a road bike in Bourg d'Oisans, at the base of Alpe d'Huez. "Bleach Bike & Ski" was the shop -- not sure if they have other locations. Long story short, it was a better bike than mine, very new, perfectly maintained, and I didn't have to rent a bus or take my bike on a train or trust it to international baggage handlers or pay a baggage fee. After that trip, I'd never think of bringing my own bike to Europe outside of an IM.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply