Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Free road bike racing training programs?
Quote | Reply
Hard to find good training programme online for road bike racing. Found this one: hr.umich.edu/mhealthy/programs/activity/pdf/training/adv-cycling.pdf

Anyone got any recommendations for freebies? Build-peak phases. I have trainerroad and sufferfest, not sure if they're the best, but want to ride outside in any case. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Free road bike racing training programs? [TOMOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you new to bike road racing?

The training plans will be helpful if they are specific to road racing.

However, nothing will better prepare you for road racing, than racing itself. The key reason is that many things are beyond your control in racing. Like when you go hard - when the group starts to go, you may be going hard for 20 sec, 2 minutes or 20 minutes! Ditto for recovery - you never know how long until you have to take it to the red line again! This can be an eye opener.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Free road bike racing training programs? [TOMOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trainerroad is a veritable goldmine of training information. Especially their training plans, if you stick to them, which is a problem for a lot of folks. If you read the instructions for a lot of the workouts, they'll tell you how to do them outside. Also, it's not that hard to mimic the structured workout with heartrate and a garmin if you don't have a Power-meter.
Quote Reply
Re: Free road bike racing training programs? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Are you new to bike road racing?

The training plans will be helpful if they are specific to road racing.

However, nothing will better prepare you for road racing, than racing itself. The key reason is that many things are beyond your control in racing. Like when you go hard - when the group starts to go, you may be going hard for 20 sec, 2 minutes or 20 minutes! Ditto for recovery - you never know how long until you have to take it to the red line again! This can be an eye opener.

No, I've done a few races, plus our local CC weekly league races. Yep, racing is great training, especially for bike racing. But I've generally done my bike racing off my triathlon training, so looking for something out there without going for the TrainingPeaks plans etc.
Quote Reply