Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Frame Crack?
Quote | Reply
So I was loading up my bike to do a 175 point to point one day ride and I found this beauty in the headtube. Bike has never been crashed and hasn't had any 'impacts' and I am scared @#$*less that it won't get warrantied. Its a 2013 Trek Domane 6 series frame. LBS mechanic and a few other mechanics say its a crack and will most likely get replaced. Thoughts?

Quote Reply
Re: Frame Crack? [colomis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously I haven't done something correct to get the pictures to show up, do they have to be hosted elsewhere?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap! That's a serious crack. More like frame disintegration. I wouldn't want to sit on that thing on the trainer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, pictures have to be hosted by someone. Use TinyPic

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Frame Crack? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scary part is I wash my bike once a month or so and I have never noticed it. Who knows how long its been there.

Last edited by: colomis: Aug 31, 15 11:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colomis wrote:
Scary part is I wash my bike once a month or so...
Yes, that's scary....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colomis wrote:
Scary part is I wash my bike once a month or so and I have never noticed it. Who knows how long its been there.

Probably less than a month.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Frame Crack? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, this will cause me to inspect my bike a lot closer from now on. Anyone ever seen this type of damage? LBS said he's never seen a vertical headset crack like that. I have been trying to research warranty claims with a grain of salt because there is always people with good and bad experiences.
Quote Reply
Re: Frame Crack? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone talks about how strong and great CF frames are. How does a frame crack like that without a massive impact?
Quote Reply
Re: Frame Crack? [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
Everyone talks about how strong and great CF frames are. How does a frame crack like that without a massive impact?

Just wanted to highlight what an awesome question this is, coming from a guy with your username!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colomis wrote:
Yes, this will cause me to inspect my bike a lot closer from now on. Anyone ever seen this type of damage? LBS said he's never seen a vertical headset crack like that. I have been trying to research warranty claims with a grain of salt because there is always people with good and bad experiences.

It's probably due to how the cable routing port(s) are going through the head tube. Either that, or you Were Just Riding Along and hit the mother of all potholes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does that crack extend all the way to either headset bearing? Looks as if it's just in the middle of head tube?
Quote Reply
Re: Frame Crack? [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:

Love my titanium. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Frame Crack? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
mcmetal wrote:

Love my titanium. ;-)

Was just thinking the exact same thing...
Quote Reply
Re: Frame Crack? [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steel is real, weight be damned.
Quote Reply
Re: Frame Crack? [WatsonNh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The crack is just in the middle of the headtube from what I can see/feel.
Quote Reply