Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Four Cyclists Mowed Down By Pickup During California Charity Ride
Quote | Reply
https://www.bicycling.com/...ts-jensie-gran-fondo

Quote:
According to witnesses, a blue Dodge Ram swerved and struck the cyclists as they rode single-file on the right side of the road. Some witnesses told police that the maneuver appeared to be intentional.

This is really horrible. I hope they find the driver and make an example of him. Four counts of attempted murder? A quick google indicates that should put the driver behind bars for nearly 30 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Four Cyclists Mowed Down By Pickup During California Charity Ride [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like they caught the driver. Awesome.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Four Cyclists Mowed Down By Pickup During California Charity Ride [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:

Unfortunately they caught him to probably just end up issuing a minor citation and take court ordered defensive driving.

Guys like this driver need to have license suspended and serve some time. Unfortunately I was dreaming while typing that sentence.
Quote Reply
Re: Four Cyclists Mowed Down By Pickup During California Charity Ride [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

Unfortunately they caught him to probably just end up issuing a minor citation and take court ordered defensive driving.

Guys like this driver need to have license suspended and serve some time. Unfortunately I was dreaming while typing that sentence.
The leaving the scene part should hopefully create some consequence.
Quote Reply
Re: Four Cyclists Mowed Down By Pickup During California Charity Ride [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This does not inspire much confidence (from an article about the incident):

'Elias met with CHP Captain Robert Mota on Wednesday. Captain Mota confirmed that Paff had been arrested on felony hit-and-run charges. When pressed on why Paff wasn't booked into jail on stiffer charges, Mota suggested the case is still developing, saying, "We arrested the driver based on the evidence and existing laws. The reality is, if he had pulled over after hitting the cyclists, we could have cited him with nothing more than a traffic citation.'
Quote Reply
Re: Four Cyclists Mowed Down By Pickup During California Charity Ride [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
https://www.bicycling.com/news/driver-injures-four-cyclists-jensie-gran-fondo

Quote:
According to witnesses, a blue Dodge Ram swerved and struck the cyclists as they rode single-file on the right side of the road. Some witnesses told police that the maneuver appeared to be intentional.

This is really horrible. I hope they find the driver and make an example of him. Four counts of attempted murder? A quick google indicates that should put the driver behind bars for nearly 30 years.

He will get away with nothing but a slap on the wrist. Killing (and maiming) with a car is 100% legal.
Leaving the scene may cause him minor trouble.

Surprised none of the riders had cameras.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Dodge Ram

But of course.
Quote Reply
Re: Four Cyclists Mowed Down By Pickup During California Charity Ride [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought multiple riders had video of the incident?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I thought multiple riders had video of the incident?

The article you quoted only states "A motorcyclist traveling in the opposite direction reportedly caught the truck on a GoPro camera seconds after the crash".

There is no mention of the riders having cameras.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Four Cyclists Mowed Down By Pickup During California Charity Ride [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd read elsewhere (Facebook).
Quote Reply
Re: Four Cyclists Mowed Down By Pickup During California Charity Ride [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quantum wrote:
blueapplepaste wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

The leaving the scene part should hopefully create some consequence.

That'll be their ticket and defensive driving. Unfortunately hitting cyclists is like changing lanes without signaling. Just isn't viewed as that big of a deal.
Quote Reply