Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Former pro racing age group
Quote | Reply
It was fun to see Dale Basescu back racing tris! In a local race, Breath of Life in Ventura, Dale won the 60-64 age group in 2:19 Oly distance.
Chatted with him on the podium, seems like a really nice guy. Great to have him back competing.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Former pro racing age group [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, he called me several months ago and said he wanted to make a comeback, and he came up and got fit by Dan. Unfortunately he has not raced since the road bike days, so he was really taken aback by the new fangled aero bars and positions. He said he really has not done any of the 3 sports since the late 80's, early 90's.

He had a lung problem from an insect spraying in his house which forced him to retire way too early, but he did not get fat or out of shape. Looks like he has lifted all those years and kept a very low body fat %, so doesn't surprise me that he got into pretty good shape very quickly. He just needs to get used to riding again, and adapt to a more aero position, and he should drop a few minutes off the bike.

For a 60+ year old he should be right up there with the best in a couple months. I mean, how many guys in that AG go under 2;15 for an olympic distance race? Dave Scott for sure, and if you back out Moats and the other dopers, not many I would guess..

Glad you got to meet him, a really nice guy who I had the pleasure of racing many, many times over those early years.
Quote Reply
Re: Former pro racing age group [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I read a then and now article about him. (Tinley website I think) you were correct, I beat him on the bike leg, but his swim and run were excellent!
Once the riding legs come back, he will be the guy to beat.
Moats- he has three 70.3 wins already this year and won Worlds70.3 last year.
Not much to say, hope he gets tested regularly.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a name I remember and haven't thought about in a long while.......
Quote Reply
Re: Former pro racing age group [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He'll make my age group more interesting. I wish Dave Scott would race more. Seems like once a year is all he'll race.
Dale was among the best. Should be fun.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't it Doctor Dave now?
Quote Reply
Re: Former pro racing age group [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never heard that story???

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
Yes, I read a then and now article about him. (Tinley website I think) you were correct, I beat him on the bike leg, but his swim and run were excellent!
Once the riding legs come back, he will be the guy to beat.
Moats- he has three 70.3 wins already this year and won Worlds70.3 last year.
Not much to say, hope he gets tested regularly.

I've been wondering if he is banned from Kona. I think he's only raced one IM after his suspension and he turned down a slot. Yet he is racing 70.3s with impunity. It would be nice to see someone take him down.
Quote Reply
Re: Former pro racing age group [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

. I mean, how many guys in that AG go under 2;15 for an olympic distance race? Dave Scott for sure, and if you back out Moats and the other dopers, not many I would guess..

How many people at any age go under 2;15.

Last local series here there were 12 people under 2;15 out of 350 finishers.
Quote Reply
Re: Former pro racing age group [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at the results from AGNC. I don't even think the the 100th place in that AG was under 2:15, I went 2:05 and was like top 50.
Quote Reply
Re: Former pro racing age group [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One in the 60-64 went under 2:15. Greg Taylor, in the National Championship.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops left out theM25-29 dwsignation in response to the reply above mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
It was fun to see Dale Basescu back racing tris! In a local race, Breath of Life in Ventura, Dale won the 60-64 age group in 2:19 Oly distance.
Chatted with him on the podium, seems like a really nice guy. Great to have him back competing.

Saw on Facebook that he died yesterday, apparently while swimming. RIP.
Quote Reply
Re: Former pro racing age group [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is almost impossible to believe. Two weeks ago- so full of life! I only spoke to him for a few minutes and he felt like an old friend.
I am so sorry to hear this. Thanks for sharing. I am sure Slowman and Monty will post on the main page.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Former pro racing age group [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow....very sad to hear this news. Here is a touching tribute from a friend with music written and performed by Dale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQNkzu8vIGY

and from Scott Tinley's tri-history archives, a where-are-they-now article: http://www.trihistory.com/...hey-now/dale-basescu

Rest in peace....
Last edited by: atkid: Jul 12, 16 8:25
Quote Reply