Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Form critique - riding Lotus 110
Quote | Reply
Thoughts on the form here? Lower back was killing me on the second lap. Seat started wobbling as well!
Seat didn't seem too low but back looks kinda cramped.

Was riding a 1996 Lotus 110; same bike that Chris Boardman set the world record (non-UCI legal though) at over 35mph.
Can you imagine riding 35mph in an Oly Tri? WOW! Just incredible.

Friend of mine is trying to sell this bike and I asked if I could give it a go. Notice how slack the fork is.
There is a TT course near hear - Canada road. Pretty hilly. Previous best was 24.18mph on a BMC TM01 with Hed Jet 60 front/Disc rear, same helmet.
Remarkably, went faster today - 24.22. I guess that frame is fast!
Would be interesting to do it with the 60/Disc combo though there is barely space for a 21 tire in the rear.

Last edited by: twain: Aug 26, 17 19:34
Quote Reply
Re: Form critique - riding Lotus 110 [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool bike. You need to find one of the original forks, that one is probably costing some serious watts.

My guess is you need to start with a new seat that lets you roll your hips forward. This will flatten the back and bring your upper arms to more of a 90 angle. This might take care of your lower back problems as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he wants to sell. I want to buy.
Will he post to Europe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I spent a lot of time riding the Canada road course back in the day. And I can tell you that the variation in wind, temperature, and humidity could shift the speed by a full MPH. I did back to back trials with the same bike and got very different results.

Check out this one for example:

https://blocg.files.wordpress.com/...01/052607overall.pdf

Same bike, same day, power was different by 1 watt. But the time was off by 17 seconds. The difference for Novitzky was even greater. And IIRC, his power was exactly the same.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: Aug 27, 17 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: Form critique - riding Lotus 110 [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are fast! My PR for the BTC TT is 24:53. Yesterday it was 25:30 and 25:28. Totally agree about the variables on that course. What was interesting to me, tho, is that this 20+ year old design was arguably faster than my BMC TM01 with "modern" Hed Jet 60 & Disc. And the fit of the Lotus wasn't ideal. I'm not sure it's the saddle or, oddly, if the front end needed to be lower.
Quote Reply
Re: Form critique - riding Lotus 110 [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I will try moving the seat forward a bit - might get that 90 degrees you speak of
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
What was interesting to me, tho, is that this 20+ year old design was arguably faster than my BMC TM01 with "modern" Hed Jet 60 & Disc.

The Lotus is undoubtedly fast:

http://www.bikeradar.com/...tus-sport-110-41260/

IIRC it is also quite light, which could by itself make a big difference on that course. I'd just be a little hesitant to draw conclusions without more rigorous testing with a powermeter.

As to the position... the arch in your back suggests that you have excess drop that is probably reducing your power without improving aerodynamics.

It's likely that if you raised the bars by 2-3 cm, your highest point (the top of your helmet) would stay about the same, but your thigh-torso angle would be much more open and you'd have a lot more power. You might consider short cranks too.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No words

Last edited by: Bernoullitrial: Aug 27, 17 19:36
Quote Reply
Re: Form critique - riding Lotus 110 [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fastest bike Eddy Merckx ever made!

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, here is the full review of this amazing bike.
http://www.roadbikereview.com/...10-still-competitive
Quote Reply