Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fork question...
Quote | Reply
I am getting a new fork with a carbon steerer. I've never had one of these before so my question is ..... Do you have to do anything different when attaching the stem to a carbon steerer vs. alloy? Are some stems better suited to carbon steerers and should some not be used?

Thanks for any info!
Quote Reply
Re: Fork question... [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing I know that you are not supposed to do with a carbon steere is not to use a star sangled nut which is what is used in alloy steerers. You should be using what I think is aclled a compressor something the rather
Quote Reply
Re: Fork question... [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually a new carbon fork will come with the compression nut. They can be a little more complicated to install and adjust than the simple star spangled nut and allen bolt.

If you look thru some of the older threads, there has been some great information regarding steerer tube stack / spacers. IE Reynolds says that for their 1" carbon steerer tube, you can only have 1" of spacers, and for an 1 1/8" steerer tube, 1 1/2" of spacers.

Carbon Steerer Forks do not like stems that use a compression wedge type binder bolt. A typical 2 bolt stem is best, however the Thomson Stems have been approved for most carbon steerer forks.
Quote Reply