Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Forget the IronWar controversy. Does anyone remember that fake article in Triathlete about running the curb?
Quote | Reply
I'd love to get a copy of that. I think it was from the late 80's or very early 90's. From memory, the premise of the article was that German coaches were successfully training their elite runners by having them do a secret routine whereby they would run on a street curb. The result claimed dramatic improvements (like dropping 2 minutes for one female who went from 33 to 31 minutes in the 10k) and I believe there was even a quote from said female German runner. The best part was that she was named "Yerganna Hirt" - or something like that... as in you're gonna hurt. The next month, Triathlete published an apology and said that the editor didn't realize it was a joke. The moral of the story was like don't belive everything you read when it comes to training.

Does anyone remember this? That month I broke my foot trying the new training method.

Is there anyone here who has been around long enough to know what I am talking about? I'll send a free running-hat to anyone who can find a link or scan/post this termendous debacle in publishing.
Quote Reply
Re: Forget the IronWar controversy. Does anyone remember that fake article in Triathlete about running the curb? [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that broken foot comment supposed to be in pink?
Quote Reply
Re: Forget the IronWar controversy. Does anyone remember that fake article in Triathlete about running the curb? [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely remember it. Back then there was Tri-Athlete AND Triathlon Magazine and I think it was the latter that had the article. I used to keep them (the mags) forever but threw them all out when I moved sometime in the 90s. I also remember trying it and thinking "man this kind of sucks, and I know I look pretty stupid, but man am I gonna kill it at the next race!" Yeah, that didn't happen, and then I also remember reading the apology and feeling like a complete fool. My first lesson in not believing everything you read...but a Triathlon Magazine? Wasn't everything they said gospel?
Quote Reply
Re: Forget the IronWar controversy. Does anyone remember that fake article in Triathlete about running the curb? [jonahsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. I literally broke my foot in 1992 after reading that article and trying the great new training method. I tripped on the curb and fractured my outer metatarsal. I was running around a mall in the parking lot because it was the best place for the curb. Crazy, huh. But it seemed believable to me. Back in those days things were much less sophisticated. The internet didn't' exist.

The only reason why I can't remember what month/year anything was published was because I had a number of Triathlete magazines from a friend and it might have been in an older edition. Maybe somebody here can confirm what I'm talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During cramping at Eagleman last year some guy told me to walk backwards it would reverse the effects. I tried it for about 15 seconds then said to myself m"what are you nuts?" I will search for said article because I need another hat.

Quote | Reply
I remember that article. I believe it was an April issue, as in April Fools. I was living in Boulder at the time and wondered if anyone was actually doing it, as people were doing lots of crazy work outs. I guess some people were.

RunRabid with Razor
If you are going to run, RunRabid!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember it. Thought it was the craziest thing I had ever heard of running wise.

Luckily where I lived there were no curbs so I didn't get a chance to try it before the next issue came out.

I had the issue until about a year ago when I got rid of 98% of the Triathlete mags I had. Kept a few Ironman and Championship issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Forget the IronWar controversy. Does anyone remember that fake article in Triathlete about running the curb? [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:
During cramping at Eagleman last year some guy told me to walk backwards it would reverse the effects. I tried it for about 15 seconds then said to myself m"what are you nuts?" I will search for said article because I need another hat.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha! thanks B, i needed that lol. Its like in Ferris Buellers day off when they kick the car in reverse :)

"A wise man once told me......God doesn't call the equipped, he equips the called."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The internet did exist, most people just weren’t using it. Pretty sure the newsgroup rec.sport.triathlon started up around 1990. Now the w3 didn’t really get moving until 1993 with Mosaic.

NYSLIM wrote:
No. I literally broke my foot in 1992 after reading that article and trying the great new training method. I tripped on the curb and fractured my outer metatarsal. I was running around a mall in the parking lot because it was the best place for the curb. Crazy, huh. But it seemed believable to me. Back in those days things were much less sophisticated. The internet didn't' exist.

The only reason why I can't remember what month/year anything was published was because I had a number of Triathlete magazines from a friend and it might have been in an older edition. Maybe somebody here can confirm what I'm talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember it and tried it a little up at SUNNY Purchase in Westchester but never was successful. It was just to akward. My wife will never forget it and brings it up all the time when I start telling somebody something about training and say " well I was reading something the other day" it was probably 1991ish. Pretty much was the end of my TRIATHLETE reading days. My fault totally though. Some mechanical aspects of the training seemed to make sense at the time=o
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NYSLIM wrote:
Back in those days things were much less sophisticated. The internet didn't' exist.

Didn't exist for YOU maybe. ARPAnet was conceived of in 1963, and established in October, 1969. IRC came around in the late 80's, there were underground dial up BBS systems all over the place from the early 80's, modems have been around since sometime in the 40's, and compuserve (ISP giant before AOL) started in 1969 as well, and became it's own company in....74?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Forget the IronWar controversy. Does anyone remember that fake article in Triathlete about running the curb? [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dogmile wrote:
The internet did exist, most people just weren’t using it. Pretty sure the newsgroup rec.sport.triathlon started up around 1990. Now the w3 didn’t really get moving until 1993 with Mosaic.

+1

We were on our 2nd or 3rd modem by then lol. 14.4 came out in 91, but was too pricey in 92. I'm sure we were off the old 2400 by then, probably on a 9600. There might have been something slower than 2400 in the early/mid 80s in our house too lol. 2400 came out in 84.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's too funny. I don't remember that article, but if it came out while Triathlon magazine was still around, then the latest it could have been in 1986. There were a couple years there where both mags overlapped. So you think it was the Triathlete mag and not the Triathlon one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My training partner went out and did a "runnen und kurben" (or whatever they called it) after reading that article, and was really pissed when I pointed out to him that it was an April Fools joke.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I remember the article. I thought it was in Competitor. It was more of a "newspaper" type rather than a slick magazine. Could have been Tri-athlete though. One of the great April Fools articles.
I wonder if Mark Allen's seat leash was an April Fools idea???

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I remember it too. I think it was called "kerbrunning" or something like that.

I remember thinking that it made sense, sort of like a one legged squat. I never tried it.

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sports Illustrated did something years ago. This was about a farm boy discovered throwing rocks at tin cans. He was signed by a major league team. Pitched with one work boot and one bare foot....163 mph fast ball. It was an April fools joke as well. Many many fell for it as it was very well done complete with photos.

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Re: Forget the IronWar controversy. Does anyone remember that fake article in Triathlete about running the curb? [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:

Hah. Right when I finished the Army 10 Miler this year I saw two guys both walking backward next to each other. One said to the other "you walk backward to cool down too?" And the 2nd deadpanned "no im just looking for a friend who was right behind me." Its funny in retrospect but I was pretty tired at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Forget the IronWar controversy. Does anyone remember that fake article in Triathlete about running the curb? [IAGLIYDW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that was the Sidd Finch article.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys aren't the ones who panicked when Orson Wells broadcasted the "War of the Worlds" are you ; )
Quote Reply
Post deleted by ironmayb [ In reply to ]
Re: Forget the IronWar controversy. Does anyone remember that fake article in Triathlete about running the curb? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
That's too funny. I don't remember that article, but if it came out while Triathlon magazine was still around, then the latest it could have been in 1986. There were a couple years there where both mags overlapped. So you think it was the Triathlete mag and not the Triathlon one?

somewhere between March 1986 and June/July 1988 based on my religious reading of these mags (followed by dropping them).

If I had to guess I would say April 1986.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember that article from triathlete mag. The author got fired I believe.
Quote Reply
Re: Forget the IronWar controversy. Does anyone remember that fake article in Triathlete about running the curb? [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
monty wrote:

somewhere between March 1986 and June/July 1988 based on my religious reading of these mags (followed by dropping them).

If I had to guess I would say April 1986.

It was in the early 90's (probably 92-94), based on when my running buddy tried it.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sigh.

I admit it; I read the article and tried the workout. Seemed awkward and stupid so I gave it up. I was more than a little mortified when the next month's issue came out and revealed the hoax.
Quote Reply

Prev Next