Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Forerunner 920XT and Android woes
Quote | Reply

Had my 920XT for a week now and am so close to being completely smitten.
However I do have issues with the connection to GCM on my Android (4.4.4 on an Xperia Z1 Compact)

I use it as a Daily Tracker and noticed that I am getting frequent (x times per day) crashes in the sync .. seems to get half way through and then just crashes/stalls (although the app remains running) which means the steps aren't syncing. I need to remove the device and readd to get the syning back

The worst thing though is that several times a day I go out of range of the phone. When I do, the connection is lost and the only way I can get it to re-establish the connection is through re-pairing using the pin.
If it was a 'click here to reconnect' button it would be fine.. but the whole thing means I need to ..
a. pull down the notifications bar from the top and click on the Yes to connect request (when the phone spots a request)
b. pull down the notification bar from the top again and this time go through the re-pairing process by entering the pin showing on the watch.

It is seriously taking away from my 920XT experience

Things to note
1. I am a long term Garmin user and have used GCM/bluetooth with my Edge 810, Vivofit and FR620 (the 620 could be fussy and not always connect, but usually worked)
2. I have tried the usual..
Turn on turn off Bluetooth
Turn on turn off phone
Remove device and re-pair
Uninstall and reinstall GCM

Are there any other 920XT Android users.. and are you experiencing the same nightsweats of losing the connection?
(doesn't seem to be so much of an issue for iPhone users)
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 920XT and Android woes [milkywaye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hate to state the obvious...get an iphone.

They said it would be fun…fun they said

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Samsung Galaxy Note 4/4.4.4 and I use GCM and activity tracker. Do not have any problems with connections or crashes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. I have been grilled about did I set this properly, and did I configure that correctly. The fact remains that the 920 & Connect Mobile are not good at reestablishing a broken connection, and from what I have read it is happening to some iOS users as well. You don't even need to be out of range, initiating a wifi update is enough to break the BT link. I have BT turned off on the watch day to day. If I specifically desire it I will enable it right before the activity.
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 920XT and Android woes [Ronr2sbc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ronr2sbc wrote:

LOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an xperia myself and the connection with the fenix 2 is finicky. The complaints on the garmin forum happened to be from sony users as well. Not sure if that's enough to say if it's a sony problem or just luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't own a cell phone and my iPad is a V2 so I can't connect nor use BT at all. But, I CAN use wireless with my 920 and it is friggin wonderful! I just picked it up on Friday, did a swim Saturday morning and a run today and both times, the wireless uploaded my stuff without me even knowing. By the time I came in, got on the computer and logged into Garmin Connect, it had uploaded!

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ronr2sbc wrote:

That's weird.. That's what all my friends say.
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 920XT and Android woes [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm.starting to feel that way myself. Although I have tasted the delights of smart notifications and am hooked.

I might try removing some apps and also trying it on my wife's one plus one to see if she has those issues
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ronr2sbc wrote:

iPhones are the simpletons smart phones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fwiw, I get/got the same thing on my iPhone. Would be fine for a few days (or a 24-48 hours), and then, poof, unhappy and requires some or all the steps you noted above. In general, rebooting the watch and airplane-modeing the phone seemed to fix it each time. Still annoying (and I'm not entirely sure if it's a watch, app, phone or OS issue).

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply