Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Forde Edge bike rack
Quote | Reply
I have a 2010 Ford Edge and purchased a trunk mount bike rack, which did not work at all. The plastic spoiler at the top of the trunk window gets in the way of the hooks and will not support much weight. Does anyone have a Ford Edge and knows what kind of bike rack options there are?

Thanks!
Last edited by: HyperCVAD: Apr 9, 14 9:00
Quote Reply
Re: Forde Edge bike rack [HyperCVAD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used a Saris Bones 2 on my wife's edge a couple times. I just set the lower supports where they sit on the bumper to take most of the weight.

Edit: I usually put a little strip of rubber (like from a bar mount) under the straps where they go over the edge of the spoiler just to make sure they straps don't rub the paint off in those areas.

Last edited by: Harbo99: Apr 9, 14 9:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can have a hitch mount installed (I assume, mine came with, I had a hitch mount put onto my prior Pathfinder) and increase your options.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hitch mount plus Kuat NV.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Forde Edge bike rack [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
you can have a hitch mount installed (I assume, mine came with, I had a hitch mount put onto my prior Pathfinder) and increase your options.....
I Agree, buy an aftermarket hitch (e.g like this one) and slap it on yourself. Everyone I've installed was simple and only involved 4 bolts or more bolts. I did this with my old Equinox and Prius just to use better racks (frame mounting such as this rear hatch opening) or platforms (wheel mounted like this).

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do the same as Harbo. I have a bones 3 bike rack. I just let the "feet" of it rest on the bumper to help take some of the weight. I've done some long drives with it on the back of our Edge without a problem. The spoiler had me worried at first but after driving down Houston highways and going over 70mph, didn't have an single issue with it scratching or cracking the spoiler. I wanted to get a hitch rack (since our Edge came with a hitch from the dealership) but I wanted something I can use between the Edge (my wife's DD) and my car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put in a 2"hitch and use the Kuat NV.
Quote Reply
Re: Forde Edge bike rack [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I'm not a car person, so would I have to go to my dealership to get a hitch installed? I wouldn't feel too safe doing it myself. Could I buy one and bring it to them or do they supply their own? Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. I ordered a Curtis hitch from Amazon and insralled it in about an hour. There are holes in your frame already that you just have to fish the bolts they supply through. It was a fairly simple install and no drilling was required on my 2011. Some kits do require mods though so just read the precautions listed on the product details.

A dealership likely wont install something you supply but may if you ask them. You should be able to find other places that would though.
Last edited by: fasth2o: Apr 10, 14 9:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HyperCVAD wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I'm not a car person, so would I have to go to my dealership to get a hitch installed? I wouldn't feel too safe doing it myself. Could I buy one and bring it to them or do they supply their own? Thanks again!

I went to the local U Haul and bought from there and had it installed there. Dont recall the price but it wasn't bad. I too am not sure I'd trust myself to do it correctly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the Saris Sentinel (it's pretty old model) and haven't had any issues on it with the 2013 Edge. Guessing it's basically the same model.

That said I'm going to go down the roof rack route as I squeeze my bum every time I hit a pothole with my current setup. I'll get the cross bars and a Thule roof rack mount.
Quote Reply