Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
For those who can't run (or are always injured)
Quote | Reply
This is a public service announcement.

I always hear non-runners, some sedentary, some cyclists or swimmers, saying that they can't run because "insert statement here about a bad piece of anatomy".

I think that in 95% of these cases these people have not attempted to adopt a running program in the proper way.
Before I go any further I want to go on record as saying that for people with a serious existing injury or degenerative disease that persistence won't pay off in your case. If you have a specific diagnosis or medical advice, don't follow my suggestions.
We have all heard that contrary to intuition, triathletes experience running injuries as often or more often than runners (here 'runners' means someone that focuses only on the sport of running).

The reason for this is simple. By running every day, runners adapt to the stresses of running far more readily than a triathlete does. Running is all about physical adaptations to the specific stresses of running.

Change your mindset about running and stop considering your running 'limiter' to be your cardiovascular or muscular endurance. First and foremost it's the ability of your bones and connective tissue to endure the impact.
What worked for you when you were 16 years old and joining the track team doesn't work for you later in life when you are probably heavier and have far less growth hormone coursing through your body. And besides this, many high school and college running programs have a 25-50% injury rate each season!

When I returned to triathlon (and running) about 5 years ago I began to experience a string of running injuries one after another. They all occurred before I even exceeded 15 miles per week and affected me nearly continuously for 4 years.
There were shin splints (repeatedly), plantar's fasciitis, aching knees, a serious run of SI joint dysfunction (2 years!), torn calf muscle, finally culminating in a torn plantar's fascia that resulted in a whole season of racing but no run training.

When I began to return to run training once again here's the approach I took:

5 minutes of running on a treadmill 3 days per week. I did this for 3+ months. I then moved to the next phase which was 10 minutes at a time. Phase 3 was adding 5 minutes on the other 2 weekdays between the 10 minute days.
Right now I am 1 year in to my VERY gradual build and I'm doing alternating 2/5 mile runs on weekdays with a Sunday run also. I'm still building and will be for 1-2 more years.

The big breakthrough is that now after a 5 mile run in the morning I feel like I could go for a second run in the afternoon. The next morning when I get out of bed I don't feel any of that leg tenderness that I've been plagued with the next morning for 5 years.

I attribute this to 2 things:

1) allowing my build to be VERY gradual knowing it was all about conditioning the body to the trauma, not for the cardio benefits.

2) running 6 days per week.

In regard to your running you need to change your mindset. You aren't training to be a killer runner next season, but 3-4 seasons from now. Your best friend is being injury free so you can run every day. Even 3 miles per day every day for 3 years will have you racing faster than going from 50 mile weeks with speed work to 3 months injured over and over again.
The body adapts when it receives a stressor that exceeds it's current adaptation level. This is why those extremely long weekend rides are important for Ironman. it's why those long weekend runs are so valuable for marathon.
If you were immune to injury then running 3 days per week with a 20 miler on the weekend would be a great way to train for triathlon, but it's a recipe for injury unless you are starting out as an avid single-sport marathoner already.

So my advice for you is simply this:

1) if you are 'fragile' then take a far longer view of your run training and start with something that seems pointless: 5 minute runs. (or whatever amount you KNOW is easy on your body)

2) Run 6 days per week. Fit this in to your current routine by adding 5 minutes of running either after your bike or after your swim on the days you don't normally run. This extra 5 minutes on off days should be easy because it's only 5 minutes. And doing it after the swim or bike? That's because you are already warmed up and I think that our bodies are a bit like car engines. In a car engine 90% of the wear the engine experiences is during the first few seconds after a cold start. I think that much of the trauma our bodies experience when running is the first mile and that is largely mitigated by never starting a run cold.

3) When it's time to add intensity (perhaps a YEAR in to a daily running regimen?--Remember this is talking to those prone to injury), then I suggest adding the intense running in the same way you added slow running...some ridiculously small amount initially....like 5 100 yard stride outs...then eventually becoming 5 minutes of speed/tempo placed in to a regular training run and over the course of many months you will ONLY THEN be ready to do a 'typical' speed workout seen in many training plans.

Hopefully when BarryP reads this he will agree! ;)

Jeff.
Quote Reply
Strategies for injury avoidance. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

There are a few broad categories to lump these in to.

Strengthening, mechanical/technique, environment

Strengthening: We all realize that many injuries are caused by imbalances and muscle weaknesses. This topic is far too deep and broad for me to do it justice. There are a lot of very knowledgable folks on ST that can address each specific. These are things such as strengthening a weak Vastus Medialis for chondramalacia and the list is almost never ending.

Mechanical/Technique: The way you run, mostly the way you land plays a large part in how much traumatic shock the body experiences in various locations of the body. If you do more vertical movement in your running stride than necessary you dramatically increase the amount of downward force your body has to overcome on landing. But my theory is that the amount of force isn't so much the issue as the velocity of the shock wave that travels the leg. So in many cases just changing shoes, or running surface can have a big impact (pun!).

I'm still agnostic about foot landing. I think that in general terms landing on your heel is harder on the knee and up while landing on the toes is harder on the foot, calf, achilles and for many people even the shins.

A soft landing is a skill that can be learned. There is just a fraction of a second delay in applying the thigh muscles to firm up the knee joint when landing. Doing this successfully decreases the impact dramatically. It's landing first, resistance second. Most of us, if we don't try to do otherwise, have our knee joint firmed up by thigh muscle before we hit. This does speed up turnover and is the right way to run fast, but not the right way to land soft. So there is a difference in how you do much of your training vs. your speedwork/racing. In fact, this is something that Lydiard taught Snell. He told Snell that when racing to run big and tall like a race horse.
The easiest way to teach this to someone (the relaxed knee joint) is to tell them to land silently like a ninja! If you try this you will very likely accomplish exactly what I'm describing.

Stride length....I believe that the trauma to the body upon landing is directly proportional to stride length too. Shorten your strides and you decrease the stresses. This only goes so far of course. Don't artificially shorten your stride while running races or speedwork but there is usually room to decrease the stride when training at 8:00+min/mile pace. And it's very subtle. Sometimes just decreasing the stride length by 1/2" is all it takes. This is what finally cured my SI joint issue after 2 years.

Environment: Run on softer surfaces. I think that surfaces range from hardest to softest in this order: concrete, asphalt, hard packed dirt, rubberized track, gravel, treadmill, grass. This is self explanatory.

Another environmental factor has to do with breaking up the stride. Running on a perfect surface means that you will be able to run every stride and every landing identically. This results in a buildup of repeated stresses over time. Ever notice how running a flat course at the exact same speed for a long period of time leaves your muscles so tight you have trouble perhaps even walking when you are done? That tightness must increase the likelihood of injury. Breaking up your stride is helpful. On long runs build in a lot of 5 second stops/walks and 5-10 second speed changes. Seek broken terrain and gentle hills or whatever it takes to keep a lot of variety going in regard to your stride length and turnover.
Running single-track is great! It does increase the chances of certain injuries (twisted ankle, fall) but what it does for you is that it makes practically every stride a different length. It also has you transitioning endlessly between heel and toe landings and swerving left and right and usually a continual change in elevation. Running down hill will always be more damaging than up or flat, but if you focus on keeping the downhill running 'soft', the overall outcome of single-track running can be a greatly decreased leg stress.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who can't run (or are always injured) [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, excellent post.

As someone who has been injured or an on for years (and is currently dealing with achilles issues) I'll take this into advisement. I have drank the 6x a week kool aid on running and will try that out. I've also started lifting weights and stretching. With as week as my hamstrings were that had to be a contributing factor.

My big question is how do you fit in cycling with the run training?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd agree after drinking the BarryP kool-aid here myself and being pleased with the results... Strive for increasing overall weekly volume through frequency by adding in more short/easy "filler" runs rather than focusing on pushing your long runs longer. Lots of folks rail against low-intensity "junk miles" in biking but there's no such thing when it comes to running. I'm still not what I'd call a real runner by any stretch (maxed out at only about 35-40mpw) but I felt significant gains going from 3-4 runs/wk to 5-6 runs/wk, even with almost no speedwork (and incorporating lots of mini-bricks, partly just for logistical convenience since I was already geared up+sweaty and out of the house, rather than trying to fit in a separate run somewhere else in the sched).
Quote Reply
Re: For those who can't run (or are always injured) [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling and run training? Well, my routine consists of either 3 or 4 rides per week depending on season and race schedules. On those days I target my shorter runs. Using BarryP's advice of 3:2:1, these are the '1' days. For me right now that's either 2 or 3 miles. I just get off the bike and do the run immediately.

If time gets tight and I need to fudge on this, rather than just alternating run days I would maintain the every day routine and cut the run off the bike down to as little as 5 minutes...yes, daily running is that important and only 5 minutes can be that valuable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff - quite the post. Let me comment only the the nature of stress increase.

Everything you read talks about increasing stress to increase your ability but this piece makes the user aware that if the slope of the stress line is shallow enough, performance rises but the potential for injury rises less. So frequently in the office, it's that one ride where, "I just decided to challenge all the hills" that brings on the frontal knee pain. Or, one Saturday run that was with a group just above ones ability that over stresses the joint, leads to pain, which, like the green line on the street on the Fidelity commercials, leads to the doctors office.

Thanks for your efforts.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: For those who can't run (or are always injured) [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jeff - quite the post. Let me comment only the the nature of stress increase.

Everything you read talks about increasing stress to increase your ability but this piece makes the user aware that if the slope of the stress line is shallow enough, performance rises but the potential for injury rises less. So frequently in the office, it's that one ride where, "I just decided to challenge all the hills" that brings on the frontal knee pain. Or, one Saturday run that was with a group just above ones ability that over stresses the joint, leads to pain, which, like the green line on the street on the Fidelity commercials, leads to the doctors office.

Thanks for your efforts.

John

Yeah, that's a good insight.

The more well acclimated someone is to the sport before they experience the injury scenario you describe the less severe the injury should be too.

For example, when I was a daily 100mile/week runner and I had one of those workouts that was just a bit too much and I ended up with an apparent injury I found that just one day off, or 3-4 days of decreased mileage was all I needed to be back to normal.
But more recently going from non-runner back to triathlete, when I have those injuries pop up, they usually last for weeks or months.

Here's an important point for athletes to take to heart: We often make our injuries far worse than they would be by refusing to back down.
We feel a pain during a run and insist on finishing the mileage we'd planned.
We get injured and insist on trying to run through it.
We insist on returning to our run mileage too soon.

It's important to approach every run workout with the mindset that you are willing to pull the plug on it if necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am someone that has been basically injured for two years straight. I heal up somewhat and then have a face coming. Start running feel like I am cured and then over due it. Once again injured.

I think what you laid out running every day is perfect. My problem is what to do about races. I really don't want to take a year off from racing. I have IMFL in November and then don't race again until early April. Early April is a HIM. Then I have shorter races all summer. So not really a problem.

Seems like the strategy would be to:

- Do the strategy of running every day Starting in December. Get to what ever distance this route and do the 13.1 the best I can.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who can't run (or are always injured) [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand regarding race schedules. Last season I ONLY ran on race days and it never seemed to contribute to my injury...I still healed. But I never did long course either.

One thing that should help is to intentionally decide that you want to be the best triathlete you can be in 2015. The way to accomplish that is to get off your injury roller coaster. If this means sub-par performances in the run this year and next year so be it.

So yes, keep your run training on the gradual progression plan as if you had no races. Then race. You may be doing 2/4/6 mile runs during the week and be faced with a HIM which isn't optimal training. But it's still the right thing to do. Races seldom cause injuries. Not sure why. Perhaps it's the bike leg first creating warm, supple, relaxed muscles for the run.

We train to race, so I'm not one to just throw away my race season. But I am willing to race for the enjoyment and postpone my competitive goals 1-2 years in to the future.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who can't run (or are always injured) [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the thoughts in this post.

I have had various running troubles in the past, and for a couple months have run essentially zero. Starting back up, it already hurts a bit.

This reminded me of an exercise book I read a while ago. It basically talked about the systems we have, and how fast they adapt to the stresses.

Heart and Lungs - very fast adaptation
Muscles/Mitochondria - fast adaptation.
tendons/ligaments - slow adaptation
bones - really slow adaptation.

As far as I can tell, the difference between the fast and slow adapters is the amount of blood supply, presumably to provide nutrients or growth hormone, etc.

The second note of interest is that if the aerobic engine and muscles become adapted faster than the stuff that holds everything together, we develop more ability to injure ourselves.

You are stressing at a slower rate, possibly more inline with the adapting capability of the bones/ligaments/tendons. Essentially what Dr John called a shallow stress slope. I like this line of thinking although it is not bound to be incredibly popular because it demands patience. It may be hard not to revert to thinking about the aerobic and muscular engine, and putting this out of my mind.

Get Set Go Sports
Get Set Go Sports Website, Facebook Page, Blog
Quote Reply
Re: For those who can't run (or are always injured) [GetSetGoSports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very, very well said. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Races seldom cause injuries. Not sure why.

Maybe because you are forced to take time to recover the days after the race. You are probably fatigued and you don't run for a few days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This is a public service announcement.

Change your mindset about running and stop considering your running 'limiter' to be your cardiovascular or muscular endurance. First and foremost it's the ability of your bones and connective tissue to endure the impact.

Well said. This entire post deserves to be read again, and again. I wish I had read and understood this one year ago...

I am now slowly building my volume with the goal to have my long runs >= 10 miles (whoo-hoo) by June next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good post. As I continue to age, this seems to become more and more important. I've struggled over the last 2 years for a variety of reasons, and am finally back on track. The main keys for me have been:

1) Consistency.
2) Training for the fitness level I am, not for the fitness level I want to be in.
3) Think long term.
4) (this is new for me) make smart adjustments to setbacks.

It has taken me 3 months to go from 16 miles a week to 28 miles a week. Part of that is because I caught a really bad cold a month ago. Truth be told, I made it to 26 miles a week in two months, but then the cold led to a 6 mile week followed by two 16 mile weeks, and then back up into the high 20s. It is what it is and I can't change it, but even at 28 miles a week I'm doing far better than I did over the last two years. If all goes well, I hope to be up to 40 miles a week by the winter time. If get another set back, I'll deal with it, but hopefuly it will be one step back, two steps forward.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're post is waaaay to long for me to read the whole thing, but I agree with you 100%.
I started doing tris in 1992, and I was always injured from running. I was always in pain.
Not just pain, but agony. I had several stress fractures in my legs at once. I would be
almost in tears at the end of my runs because of the pain. The last race
I did was 1994, and I was 10th overall after the bike, and ended up finishing like 50 somthing.
Even Athenas were passing me on the run (no offense intended). I was so disgusted with myself
and all the time I wasted training that I just quit triathlon for 13 years. I was totally convinced that I
was physically unable to run due to some strange biomechanical anomaly.
When I decided to get back into tris 3 years ago, I gradually and slowly increased my running
mileage and pace until my legs adapted to the stress of running. I now run almost pain free.
What you say is the truth, and it works.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who can't run (or are always injured) [Ultraviolet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm ready to embark on the ideas presented here and by BarryP's running posts. I came to this conclusion after getting injured way to often and usually around the time that a speed workout took place. I always looked at other factors and ignored that it just might be my training.

So this year I didn't do any speedwork other than my races. I never ran consecutive days and kept my ego in check from running too fast even when I felt good. I was coming off injury and I didn't want to jeapordize my IM this year. My longest single run was 13 miles and my weekly volume only went over 20 miles a few times. I still pulled of a 4:34 IM marathon without having to walk (except through the aid stations). I never give myself permission to walk outside the aid stations.

Low and behold, I did not get injured this year (first time in 4 seasons on long course training) which leads me to believe this is the proper cool aide for me. Now I want to take this approach with some formal structure using the 1:2:3 and six days running and build the solid base to allow my running to improve without injury.

I will know more in the many months and yes years ahead.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who can't run (or are always injured) [TundraCat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3, 0, 3, 0, 13, 0 is a lot harder than 2, 4, 2, 4, 2, 0, 6 for a 20 mile week.

When training for an IM you will need to push that long run further in the months leading up, but for long term gains you really want to focus on raising your weekly milage. One key that I think a lot of people miss when doing this is that you should run every run as if you have to save enough for tomorrow's workout (because, well, you do!).

The Turttle beats the Rabbit every time.

Quote Reply
Re: For those who can't run (or are always injured) [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barry -

What exactly do you mean by:

"When training for an IM you will need to push that long run further in the months leading up"

Push what aspects of the long run further? Maybe I haven't read that article yet :) ... Like I PM'd you last week, I just started my attempt to build weekly mileage. My next IM is 2 years away so all I'm focusing on is building weekly mileage safely and slowly :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The way I interpreted Barry, is that to prepare for your IM your weekly long run needs to be of sufficient distance by the time you race...say 20+ miles in the weeks before your taper begins....
But that doing this is also risky injury wise...and in the time between now and when your specific preparation for your IM begins (say the next 18 months?) that your focus should be on raising your total weekly mileage gradually rather than raising the distance of your long run.

If you stick to the 1:2:3 formula you are probably covered.

A big week using that formula (for a triathlete) might be 4,8,4,8,4,12,0...but see how little that 12 miler seems?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second the six-days-a-week advice. After a long string of injuries, I finally figured out that my legs and feet needed at least a little bit of running almost every day. From almost zero running 14 months ago, I've built back gradually, including 6 running days almost every week. Now I'm in hard-core marathon training, having run > 50 miles for each of the last few weeks (starting a recovery week today), and with some key intensity sessions, with no injury problems. Of course, some of the days are much shorter and easier-paced than others.

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Re: For those who can't run (or are always injured) [Rob C in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome job! I had no idea you had progressed so well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jyeager covered it pretty well.

In my big program 3 part thread, I talk about the "ultra long run," being donw every two - three weeks leading up to the goal race. I recommend this only for people who can't get their long run to at least 80% of the race distance by race day under normal circumstances.

So a person training for a half mary or an HIM, might only be running 20 miles a week (2, 4, 2, 4, 2, 6, 0). That 6 miler really won't be sufficient for the race distance.

So several months out I recommend pushing the length of the long run on alternating weeks. So it might look like this:

2, 4, 2, 4, 6, 0
2, 4, 2, 4, 7, 0
1, 4, 2, 4, 6, 0
2, 4, 2, 4, 8, 0
1, 3, 2, 4, 6, 0
2, 4, 2, 4, 9, 0

etc. You'll note that the week after the long run, I cut back the distance in the few days following the ultra long run.

What's most important in the big picture are months and months and months of consistent training with the #1 goal of running as many miles as possible while staying within the aerobic training zone (conversational pace, but not jalking the death march).

Most struggling triathletes could stand to do only that for a season or two. Without geting off track, for shorter race distances (like a sprint or an oly) proper proportions of threshold training are the #2 goal. For long course athletes, I'd say that the long run is the #2 goal, but not at the expense of the #1 goal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You seriously ran 100 miles/week? Thats 14 miles per day...
Quote Reply
Re: For those who can't run (or are always injured) [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
3, 0, 3, 0, 13, 0 is a lot harder than 2, 4, 2, 4, 2, 0, 6 for a 20 mile week.

esp. since the first only adds up to 19. ;-)

but yes, for the larger point, you're right.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who can't run (or are always injured) [mntriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You seriously ran 100 miles/week? Thats 14 miles per day...

Yep. My senior year in HS I missed 1 day of running due to what I was afraid would be an injury if I didn't. I averaged 9.3 miles for the entire 365 days.

I also did 60+ mpw in XC skiing that winter that is not included as running mileage. (I only did 50 mpw during ski season)
Quote Reply

Prev Next