Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

For those that have volunteered at WTC IM's
Quote | Reply
When do they usually hold volunteer meetings and the like? Trying to make travel plans and trying to figure out the timing.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: For those that have volunteered at WTC IM's [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is up to the volunteer captain and the position volunteered for. Most likely Saturday or late Friday for a Sunday race. Obviously they know most people are travelling for this.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Last edited by: Mr. October: Sep 30, 14 12:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've volunteered at IM Texas a few times. Usually day of when you are supposed to report for most positions. You do need to pick your shirt up in advance, but they overs schedule most positions so day of isn't a big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Email your captain to see - usually the day before the race, depending on what you signed up for. If you have a relatively easy station that requires little instruction, sometimes you can get out of going to the meeting before if you can't get your travel plans to work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2013, I volunteered at IMWI for Body marking and T1 assistance. We had our volunteer meeting late Saturday morning.

This year I did body marking at IM Canada, but missed the volunteer meeting, which was like 3pm on Saturday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just a volunteer Captain at IMChoo, all volunteer meeting at 10am Saturday with breakout sessions following.....

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by RUDY PROJECT...check out http://www.e-rudy.com
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Götzen-Dämmerung (1899)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
J P O

Great question. I work for IRONMNA and we usually hold a volunteer captains meeting on Wednesday night for any Sunday race (Tues for Saturday races). The captains meet with the IRONMAN staff they work with that evening and then we usually have a scheduled Saturday meeting for your Captains to meet with you as a volunteer. This is so that you all can coordinate any and all details you need for the next day.

If you are volunteering for something that may not need that meeting your captain will let you know and arrange for other info. When in doubt reach out to the volunteer captain of that area and they will coordinate all details.

DC
IM Boulder RD
Boulder Tri Series RD

DC
Dave Christen
IRONMAN Race Director and Operations Manager
dave.christen@ironman.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I volunteered at IMFL last year and we met Friday evening about 6pm (race is Saturday).
Quote Reply
Re: For those that have volunteered at WTC IM's [Bouldertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy question....If you volunteer a Usa Ironman event, do you get any credit/ discount for an ironman event held in Europe??
Bouldertri wrote:
J P O

Great question. I work for IRONMNA and we usually hold a volunteer captains meeting on Wednesday night for any Sunday race (Tues for Saturday races). The captains meet with the IRONMAN staff they work with that evening and then we usually have a scheduled Saturday meeting for your Captains to meet with you as a volunteer. This is so that you all can coordinate any and all details you need for the next day.

If you are volunteering for something that may not need that meeting your captain will let you know and arrange for other info. When in doubt reach out to the volunteer captain of that area and they will coordinate all details.

DC
IM Boulder RD
Boulder Tri Series RD
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: For those that have volunteered at WTC IM's [maqrol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JPO,

That unfortunately is not an option. Volunteering will get you priority registration into the event you are volunteering at. This is how we manage it in the US.

DC

DC
Dave Christen
IRONMAN Race Director and Operations Manager
dave.christen@ironman.com
Quote Reply
Re: For those that have volunteered at WTC IM's [Bouldertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my experience over the years when IMC was in Penticton is that it depends.

Pumping tires race morning: Picked up T-Shirts from the Bike Barn Saturday

Biking in front of 3rd place male (incredible experience!) : Just showed up on the day

Canoeing along side the swimmers: Meeting Friday afternoon, but I am guess if we had just shown up race morning it would have been no big deal.

Going off on a tangent, when canoeing beside the swimmers I was able to pick out one of my idols growing up, Pat Lafontaine! They gave him his old jersey number 16 and I spotted it on his cap. I yelled to him and waived. He gave me a Chuck Norris-esque thumbs up and carried on with his swim. It was awesome!

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply