Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

For those testing the new Gatorade Endurance (and dan)
Quote | Reply
I recall Dan looking for some nutrition testers:

1) Did the Gatorade Endurance Formula change (is it being changed)?
2) What is different?
3) When will a new/different formula be on Ironman courses.....was going to buy the old formula for some training, but didn't want to buy if the formula is changing prior to IMAZ.
4) If there is a new formula being tested....how would you compare it to the older version?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: For those testing the new Gatorade Endurance (and dan) [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
I recall Dan looking for some nutrition testers:

2) What is different?
3) When will a new/different formula be on Ironman courses.....was going to buy the old formula for some training, but didn't want to buy if the formula is changing prior to IMAZ.
4) If there is a new formula being tested....how would you compare it to the older version?

Thanks[/quote
Info from Gatorade Endurance folks which we sent out to our testers:
"As you know Gatorade has intro’d a new Endurance Formulation. This isn’t what you get at your local grocery store or gas station. This is what you get on-course in the U.S., and it’s what you purchase at specialty endurance run, tri, bike retailers (and online). As most of you consider a full or 70.3 Ironman your “A" race, those races occurring in the United States will have this new and improved formulation on course beginning with Ironman Lake Placid. The new Gatorade Endurance Formula now has
no artificial flavors,
no artificial sweeteners,
uses beta-carotene for the color
has a much lighter taste.
In addition, Gatorade Endurance Formula now offers a multi-carbohydrate blend to help endurance athletes maintain performance and lower the risk of stomach discomfort during a hard training session or race (ideal benefit at 2.5 hours+).
Your reviews will be necessary, welcome and impactful because they’ll presage what your fellows will find on the course at U.S. Ironman races."

30 day testing period. We asked for athletes training for 70.3, 140.6, or comparable (longer than 2.5 hour) event.
Here are the reviews from our ST members.
Thanks,
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: For those testing the new Gatorade Endurance (and dan) [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old endurance was sugary/very salty. New endurance is less sugary/more after taste, I don't taste the salt to the sane degree as the old formula. I can tolerate it but it is kind of the lesser of two evils.
Quote Reply
Re: For those testing the new Gatorade Endurance (and dan) [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:

The formula changed a few months ago. They kept the same name.

Mike Alexander wrote:
2) What is different?
The most important change is probably that they are using a mix of carbohydrates (dextrose, maltodextrin and fructose) for easier digestibility. It's been known since the 80's that a blend of different carbs absorbs faster. The taste is 'lighter' as well.

Mike Alexander wrote:

Probably immediately. Maybe somebody associated with IMAZ can answer that. A June article said it will be on race courses as of July. Gatorade isn't selling the old stuff, so I doubt they are shipping a truckload of the old stuff to a race....especially if they feel it's better.

Mike Alexander wrote:
Better if maltodextrin doesn't bother your stomach. Lighter taste, absorbs well, decent electrolyte profile.

5 seconds on Google would have gotten you nearly all of these answers.
Last edited by: dangle: Sep 20, 17 12:31
Quote Reply
Re: For those testing the new Gatorade Endurance (and dan) [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They served the new formulation at IMWI.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They had the new version at 70.3 worlds. How do I know? Because it tasted much much different. Its definitely not as sweet as it used to be.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: For those testing the new Gatorade Endurance (and dan) [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't love maltodextrin and have had some gut rot issues with it - did the old version not have it? I'm trying to decide if I can maybe build a tolerance to it - or carry something else, which is not ideal.
Quote Reply
Re: For those testing the new Gatorade Endurance (and dan) [jockette21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using it for the past couple of months and have a few takeaways.

1. I have not noticed much difference in difficulty to digest or impacts on performance at this point.

2. The powder seems a bit finer and is white in color regardless of the flavor.

3. It settles the same amount at the bottom of bottles.

4. It stains my bottles, mainly on the top for some reason.

5. The cherry flavor is basically fruit punch, probably just better for marketing I suppose.

6. I haven't noticed any eventual clumping in the container.

So basically not a huge difference, but noticeable in a few areas.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: For those testing the new Gatorade Endurance (and dan) [jockette21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jockette21 wrote:
I don't love maltodextrin and have had some gut rot issues with it - did the old version not have it? I'm trying to decide if I can maybe build a tolerance to it - or carry something else, which is not ideal.

LMGTFY. No maltodextrin in the old version.
Quote Reply