Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
For those of you that knew Karen McKeachie, a sad, sad day
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you that knew Karen McKeachie, a sad, sad day [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sick 😢😢😢.
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you that knew Karen McKeachie, a sad, sad day [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad to read this. Condolences to her family and friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Condolences to her family.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Horrible news, sorry and sad for you Lew.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is a low, low blow. she was my friend.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's 3 in the last week or two in MI off the top of my head. The gentleman who was hit on Cannonsburg road in GR passed away today as well.

Condolences to both of their families.
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you that knew Karen McKeachie, a sad, sad day [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw on the news that accidents have gone way up, and they do not know why. Cyclists are up 13%. Pedestrians up 10%. Can we say cell phones and or drugs?

Everytime I say I want to go ride on the road, I see one of these. I might go out Sunday in the hills for the first time in like a year. But, ...

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My condolences to Lew and to Karen's family and friends. A shocking loss.
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you that knew Karen McKeachie, a sad, sad day [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes me sick. Bridget Dawson right before Nationals and now Karen. Out best triathletes are being taken away. I am so sorry Lew.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh no. Such a great competitor and person. Sad....

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't posted here for years, but this is a sad day for Michigan triathlon community. Thanks to Tom Demerley for writing this up.

Kyle Handley
Last edited by: khandley: Aug 26, 16 21:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh wow, what a terrible tragedy. As a fellow Midwesterner, I remember Karen and Lew from races back in the mid 80s. Karen was a true pioneer of women sports in the days before Title IX and a huge force in the triathlon world - as a competitor, organizer, and promoter of the sport. I'm so sorry, Lew. Such a huge loss. I'm at a loss for words.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Condolences to family and friends. Her and Lew were huge here in Michigan in the 80's and beyond.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear this and so upsetting. She was my age and I was well aware of her accomplishments over the 30 yrs I've been doing triathlons. "Raced" against her in events but she was a level above me even at my best.

Still upset over the death of Bridget Dawson, 58 another super athlete who just won her age group Duathlon Champs killed hit from behind while riding on the road shoulder by a drifting driver. I remember racing against her locally in beginning in 1986.

These are long time skilled bicyclists who know how to handle themselves safely on the road getting wiped out by vehicles. How long can we continue to just allow this to go on? The roads it seems have gotten so dangerous. But just so accepted. I know my riding has decreased a lot. I keep telling myself to just get out there but then having 2 superstar athletics killed in 6 wksjust seem to support my hesitation to ride. Certainly don't want to be next.
Barb L
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karen was a race friend and mentor. Really sorry to hear.
Was just thinking about her yesterday. She liked to have a Hershey bar before a race and I was craving one after a row.
I use to warm up with her before races and ask her what her strategy was going to be and tell her how I was going to kick her ass ....HAH!
She empowered women... I liked that ....I have three daughters. To Lew and everybody ....PEACE
Greg Upshur

sometimes
Last edited by: unsubscribed: Aug 27, 16 6:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only a few miles from home. I didn't know her but knew of her and have seen her at more than one race.

Most definitely a sad day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will always remember her tranquil and peaceful nature. May we never forget her unassuming conversation, and her quiet giggle. We have lost a graceful and wonderful spirit.

May the Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you Lew,

Thom
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you that knew Karen McKeachie, a sad, sad day [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I just saw on the news that accidents have gone way up, and they do not know why. Cyclists are up 13%. Pedestrians up 10%. Can we say cell phones and or drugs?

Everytime I say I want to go ride on the road, I see one of these. I might go out Sunday in the hills for the first time in like a year. But, ...

They are talking about trying to legalize rec pot in Michigan. Lately I have been thinking we already have so many bad drivers, drunk or sober, we don't need to add any more imparing substances to the mix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just sick over another amazing person gone way too soon. Peace to Lew and family.

I am done with the road. Putting the bike in the back of the truck and driving to the greenway 100% off the time. Same with my sons. After 100,000 miles+ my number has to be nearly up.

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Competed against her way back.
Very sad news.
RIP
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you that knew Karen McKeachie, a sad, sad day [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I just saw on the news that accidents have gone way up, and they do not know why. Cyclists are up 13%. Pedestrians up 10%. Can we say cell phones and or drugs? .

Cretins with smart phones. Nearly every day I see them at the wheel with the eyes looking down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The driver pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor. http://www.mlive.com/...with_killing_tr.html

He crossed the center lane to pass a car and runs head-on into cyclists, and gets a misdemeanor. Unreal.
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you that knew Karen McKeachie, a sad, sad day [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How can anything that involves killing someone be considered a misdemeanor?
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you that knew Karen McKeachie, a sad, sad day [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely sad all the way around. I had a cop do this to me in Ponte Vedra Beach in December 2015.

At 70, maybe the driver wasn't texting. That said, what offends me is that he was allowed to plead no contest to the misdemeanor. I could see no contest to manslaughter. But guilty to the misdemeanor. I suspect the admission of guilt would be useful for her family in a wrongful death suit.

Hopefully there's a lawyer in Michigan who can weigh in on this.
Quote Reply

Prev Next