Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Foot Hotspots
Quote | Reply
Sometime when I take lengthy bike rides, the bottom of my foot in the area between the ball of my foot and my toes hurts. It feels as if someone is holding hot coals to them all the way across my foot. Both feet generally feel the same and it is excruciating. Yesterday it happened after only about 25 miles. Normally it's only when I've been going around 40 miles or more. Any suggestions as to what the cause of this might be and what I should do to attempt to correct it? I'm going to start experimenting with cleat positioning, but other than that I really don't have any ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: Foot Hotspots [PamJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i had this problem, but only after longer distances. pain was unreal. i did 2 things; 1- got out of 1 strap tri shoes and went to a much more sturdy 3 strap road shoe. most impt is a stiff sole that distributes pressure throughout the bottom of foot. also 2- went from speedplay to a larger platform pedal. no more problems.

It's not easy to juggle a pregnant wife and a troubled child, but somehow I managed to squeeze in 8 hours of TV a day - Homer Simpson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't be too certain it's the shoes. It could be something like a plantar wart. I had one on the extreme left side of the ball of the left foot which I treated after consulting with my doctor. It didn't bother me cycling, but it became quite painful while running. I have another "hot spot" that I manage by filing down the skin. Not sure if it's just a callous or another wart. I'm going to get a mirror so I can give it a closer look. It could be the shoes, but check out your foot to be sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Foot Hotspots [Ed Reid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to both of you. I don't think I have a plantar wart or callous. My foot looks fine and feels smooth. I've had a plantar wart in my younger years and had to go to a doctor over a time period to get rid of it.

I just changed from a 3 strap shoe to a one strap tri shoe. I still had the problem some with the other shoes, but I think I'm going to switch back to them for training rides. It seemed to occur later in the ride with them. I use Look cleats, so that's a pretty wide base. I'm going to experiment with the cleat positioning some and see what happens. I wonder if I'm unconsciously squeezing my toes while pedaling. I'm going to try and pay attention to that while I ride, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem. It doesn't sound as if you're a large frame; I am. 6'4, 210 lbs. The hot spots came on rides over 3 hours in length. I was using Speedplay pedals which I later learned were the wrong choice for someone of my frame. I've since switched to Shimano's and haven't had the problems return. I love them. Another option is to try a stiffer shoe (i.e. carbon sole), and/or shoe inserts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this same pain but only when I wear thinner socks. Especially those defeet air-e-ator socks. I dont get the pain when I use thicker softer socks or no socks at all. Try a different sock, my favourites are the nike pedlar socks.
Quote Reply