Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Food poisoning during taper
Quote | Reply
I have a HIM on Sunday (my third). Yesterday I got what appears to be a minor case of food poisoning. I feel better today, but I did lose 3 lbs.
Of course, I skipped yesterday's swim, but I do have a 4 mile run planned for today, with tomorrow being travel and rest. My last workout was a 7 mile run on Wednesday.
Do I skip today's workout or give it a shot?
Quote Reply
Re: Food poisoning during taper [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skip it. Go for a 15min run on Saturday. Add a couple of 30s accelerations towards the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Food poisoning during taper [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it turned out to be a moot question. I am not as recovered as I thought. Now I am just going to try to stay hydrated and take in any calories I can. I have heard good things about Pedialyte in situations like this, so I might try that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do a 10 min jog just to get the legs moving again, but don't overdo it. Add a couple accelerations of 5-10 seconds.

Drink water, get electrolytes and eat some carbs. Work on refueling and relax.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not to alarm ... but maybe not food poisoning. I went through a 3 week bought with some kind of GI bug. First thought that it might be food poisoning, but Dr. said some kind of persistent virus. Found out afterward that this was something "going around", and others had it too

I was able to race (bike, not tri), but felt pretty bad for one of them and DNF'd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are going to be OK on race day.

Priority #1 is to rest and get your gut square again. Priority #2 is to do a little shake out swim, bike or run the day before the race if you feel good. You did all the training, this additional challenge will not change all the work you put in to this point. Trust your training.

The 3lbs is fluid, and will bounce right back. Be Cool. Breathe. Everything is going to be good on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Food poisoning during taper [Slick_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I have managed to keep down about 700 calories today, although the pedialyte was hard on the stomach. I still have abdominal cramps, but no diarrhea. Hopefully the 4 hour drive tomorrow doesn't present problems and I can eat a normal meal or two.
I think I will just have to accept that I won't PR on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any race report for future slowtwitchers with GI distress the week before the race?

What happened and what advice would you give others?
Quote Reply
Re: Food poisoning during taper [Slick_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slick_D wrote:
Any race report for future slowtwitchers with GI distress the week before the race?

What happened and what advice would you give others?

I will say that I have had worse food poisoning. By the day before the race, I was keeping food down, and diarrhea had let up. It did make a return on race day, though, resulting in me losing time in the port-a-potties. It is a bit hard to decouple the race conditions from the illness because the only nutrition they had on race day were gels, and those were only on the bike course. (FWIW, I do NOT recommend Monticelloman.) Even under the best of circumstances, I can only stomach so many gels, so I had a three on the bike but didn't want to push my luck. I had about 200 calories of solid nutrition in the form of Lara Bars on the bike, but with the downpour, it was difficult to eat. I was also able to keep down a Honeystinger Waffle on the run.

So, I was calorie deficient at the start of the race, the swim course didn't have nearly enough buoys to sight which resulted in swimming a couple hundred extra meters, and the pouring rain on the bike made me very cranky. Honestly, if I hadn't been able to talk myself through it with the reminder that I have done much harder races, I would have been DNF. I also kept telling myself that I had harder races coming up, and making it through this would be good training for those. There was a lot of internal argument, and at one point when the rain was pelting me in the face shortly after I saw someone get off his bike and quit because of the weather, I just told myself to make it to the next aid station and take it from there. As I wrote earlier, I accepted that I wouldn't PR, but on a flat course like that, under good circumstances, I would have been about 45 minutes faster. It was really disappointing because I had great workouts the weekend before and had been feeling strong and confident.

It ended up being one of those races where nothing came together, and I just had to look at it as a learning experience.

On the plus side, apparently if I am tired and not paying attention, I can do a flying dismount. I can never get the right in practice, but I did one in the race without thinking about it. I didn't realize it until someone said that it was one of the most impressive ones he had seen. I probably can't do it again, though.
Last edited by: happyscientist: May 2, 16 12:54
Quote Reply