Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Followup on Desoto Bib Shorts. UPDATE: 5 rides 6hours in
Quote | Reply
Emilio and I have discussed the shorts, and I supplied him with photographs of myself wearing the shorts (Kinky poses are a given) and according to Emilio the fit is good with the exception of the band. It was suggested that I wear them for 10 times, washing the short each time and the band should release somewhat. If that does not improve the fit I can tailor them with some instruction from Emilio (I assume) or I can send them to Emilio for tailoring (shipping cost may be prohibitive).

As Emilio has, through his conduct with myself and on slowtwitch, earned my trust I will trial this. Doing so will prevent me from returning the product so it is a monetary risk on my part. Yesterday I would have said it was not worth the risk. Today knowing who is backing the product, I no longer see it as a risk.

I will report back following 10 rides.
Last edited by: Triagain2(FTDA): Mar 12, 15 6:16
Quote Reply
Re: Followup on Desoto Bib Shorts. [Triagain2(FTDA)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have deSoto tri shorts and short stubby legs and I have observed the fit is similar for me. Fortunately I live near a store that sells deSoto so I was able to try them on, realized I had to size up, and bought the correct size. Tri stuff is not built for men that used to lift weights. The broad/thick shoulders, thin waste, and large thighs are not average. I wear a medium or large shirt depending on the country it was produced in. PI and Sugoi I have to size up at least once. I need to size up two times for Castelli. Fortunately the tri capital of the world is down the road from me, otherwise me and the Amazon returns department would be best friends. I am 5'10", 194 pounds and about 15% body fat. I lost 15 pounds and a bunch of fat percentage when I started tri but the stuff doesn't fit me that well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eagerly awaiting your results
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since the post about the discounted split running shorts, I have had two interactions with De Soto Sport.

1. My weight, chest circumference, and waist measurements all point to a medium but my height (just over 6'1) is 2" into a large. I have had fit issues with tri suits from other companies for this reason so I sent a inquiry into the fit of De Soto tri suits to the customer service department. I received a reply directly from Emilio! Pretty impressive. We sent a few emails back and forth and all the responses were quick. He helped me make an informed decision about which product would work best for me. I was just flat out stunned and impressed that the owner responded to my inquiry.

2. I purchased 3 pairs of run split shorts with the ST discount. I received my split run shorts in the mail today but only two came. I called customer service. They promptly looked into the matter, responded to me, and had it resolved within 30 minutes. (They ran out and will send out the last pair when they become available)

I have not yet used the run shorts and am waiting on the tri suit I ordered to arrive. That said, if their products are as amazing as the customer service (which I hear they are), I will be a customer for life.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Followup on Desoto Bib Shorts. [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that makes two of us!
Quote Reply
Re: Followup on Desoto Bib Shorts. [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
Since the post about the discounted split running shorts, I have had two interactions with De Soto Sport.

1. My weight, chest circumference, and waist measurements all point to a medium but my height (just over 6'1) is 2" into a large. I have had fit issues with tri suits from other companies for this reason so I sent a inquiry into the fit of De Soto tri suits to the customer service department. I received a reply directly from Emilio! Pretty impressive. We sent a few emails back and forth and all the responses were quick. He helped me make an informed decision about which product would work best for me. I was just flat out stunned and impressed that the owner responded to my inquiry.

2. I purchased 3 pairs of run split shorts with the ST discount. I received my split run shorts in the mail today but only two came. I called customer service. They promptly looked into the matter, responded to me, and had it resolved within 30 minutes. (They ran out and will send out the last pair when they become available)

I have not yet used the run shorts and am waiting on the tri suit I ordered to arrive. That said, if their products are as amazing as the customer service (which I hear they are), I will be a customer for life.

I have been a customer since 1992. What you are describing is what Emilio, Tracy, and the small team does. It is literally the best customer service you will receive.
Welcome to the DeSoto fan club!
John
Quote Reply
Re: Followup on Desoto Bib Shorts. UPDATE: 2 rides and 2 hours in [Triagain2(FTDA)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have now ridden twice in these shorts, 1 hour each time, washed and hung to dry each time.
After confirming with Emilio that the thread snapping was normal (with a very good reason why this happens) I yanked the shorts on to the joyous sound that brought back glorious memories of sitting in front of Saturday morning cartoons with my big bowl of rice krispies.

Able to say the short is fitting better, the lower leg band is still a little tight, but it is getting better and according to Emilio I am only 20% through the process.

Last edited by: Triagain2(FTDA): Mar 6, 15 5:19
Quote Reply
Re: Followup on Desoto Bib Shorts. UPDATE: 2 rides and 2 hours in [Triagain2(FTDA)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you share his comments regarding the thread snapping? I'm curious about this as the sound has made me panic a bit in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: Followup on Desoto Bib Shorts. UPDATE: 2 rides and 2 hours in [MichaelT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure he will chime in, however this is what he told me in my own words.

When they stitch the two panels together they align them prior to putting them through the "sewing machine" with several small stitches. These alignment stitches keep the fabric from moving and ensure an exact alignment of the panels. Many other companies do not do this they as they simple overlap the panels and send them through, which can lead to less exact alignment if the panels slip.

My guess is these small alignment stitches are not made of material with similar elastic properties of the actual thread used for the main seam, so they tear and make the popping sound when the main seam is stretched. Not only does it not affect the main seam in any way it also needs to happen to allow for proper fit.

So Pop away.

And If I described this wrong my apologies, I do not own the company, LOL.
Last edited by: Triagain2(FTDA): Mar 6, 15 5:25
Quote Reply
Re: Followup on Desoto Bib Shorts. UPDATE: 5 rides 6hours in [Triagain2(FTDA)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The short is definitely loosening up. I am thinking in about a month due to weight loss I will be a better fit for the Large, but that is my fault not Desoto.

The good news is I love these shorts. I figured there was nothing that special too them until I wore my sugoi shorts for a ride again. The Desoto short is the best short I own by a long shot.

Once my weight stabilizes I will be buying 1-2 more pairs straight from Emilio.
(if my pocket book...check that, if my wife allows!)
Quote Reply