Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Follow up to "T before 70.3" thread - Are you SURE you aren't using any banned substances?
Quote | Reply
I am curious how many of us actually check the WADA list of banned substances before we take any medications (either prescription or over-the-counter). For example: I am a Type 1 Diabetic (many other diabetics around here), so I use insulin to stay alive. Insulin is a banned substance and requires a TUE (I have been issued one by USADA) to race within the rules. The "T before 70.3" thread had some very valid comments summarizing that ignorance is not a valid defense to breaking a rule. I am 100% behind racing clean...does everyone check the list?
Quote Reply
Re: Follow up to "T before 70.3" thread - Are you SURE you aren't using any banned substances? [KP-NJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't check the list and I am also 100% for racing clean.

I don't check the list because I don't take supplements or medication, I try to be all natural even when it comes to my lifting and recovery, might hold back a lot of potential but I feel better if I do it on my own
Quote Reply
Re: Follow up to "T before 70.3" thread - Are you SURE you aren't using any banned substances? [KP-NJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I had my steroid shot in my back, I did not check anything. Since I was basically not able to walk, whether it was "legal" or not was the last thing on my mind.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only medication I ever take is Ibuprofen really. Occasionally pseudoephedrine, which I know is on "the list" for in-competition (and the rules say to just avoid it the day before or day of). However I am betting if I am sick enough to need pseudoephedrine then I probably shouldn't be racing the next day anyway.

I did check one time for my wife who uses an albuterol inhaler for asthma, but the rules did explicitly state that nominal use of albuterol was OK (I think the limit was 17 "puffs" in a day).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KP-NJ wrote:
I am curious how many of us actually check the WADA list of banned substances before we take any medications (either prescription or over-the-counter). For example: I am a Type 1 Diabetic (many other diabetics around here), so I use insulin to stay alive. Insulin is a banned substance and requires a TUE (I have been issued one by USADA) to race within the rules. The "T before 70.3" thread had some very valid comments summarizing that ignorance is not a valid defense to breaking a rule. I am 100% behind racing clean...does everyone check the list?

I had a head cold for a race a couple of years ago and wouldn't take a Sudafed because it's on the banned list. Nobody would have cared, but I'm kind of a rule follower at heart. I think I even started a thread here about it at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow up to "T before 70.3" thread - Are you SURE you aren't using any banned substances? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great responses...it's nice to hear that people do their homework and actually check the list. I have to admit that I've only had a TUE for insulin since April 2009...for the 20 years or so prior to that, I guess I was breaking the rules and never even gave it a second thought. I took my insulin and just went about like it was nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I often get a cold in the last few weeks before a big race. I am always checking the in competition and out of competition rules for various decongestants, antibiotics, and steroids (which apparently are not the kind of steroids we usually are worried about).

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started a 6-day Medrol pack (non-anabolic steroid) last Friday and checked the website that day and found that it was banned in-competition but not out.

Can't seem to find any info on how long it stays in system. Doc says he would do what he can to get me thru Aug races before any surgery. I'll be bringing in the TUE document next time i show up just in case.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KP-NJ wrote:
Great responses...it's nice to hear that people do their homework and actually check the list. I have to admit that I've only had a TUE for insulin since April 2009...for the 20 years or so prior to that, I guess I was breaking the rules and never even gave it a second thought. I took my insulin and just went about like it was nothing.

I am type 1 also. I guess you don't give getting a TUE for insulin a second thought when your life depends on it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr "prescribed" me OTC allergy medications that all contained pseudoephedrine, I buy the non D ones and sudafed on the side. I stop taking the sudafed a few days before any races.

I don't expect to be checked, but it isn't allowed so I don't want to be on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I am getting a prescription from any doctor I look it up on the Global DRO website to make sure it is allowed. If there is something questionable I ask the doctor for something else or tell him/her not to bother because I won't take it. It's pretty easy and only takes a couple of minutes. I do the same thing before taking anything OTC just to be safe.

Quote | Reply
I am going to plug 2 products I am not sponsored by that have their products tested to ensure WADA legal.

First, each morning I have a VEGA ONE nutritional shake. My post hard workout is a fruit smoothie and scoop of their VEGA PROTEIN

Second is, during heavy training 7-systems vitamin packs.

Both these products were started by triathletes. Brendan Frazer for VEGA and Jasper Blake for 7-SYSTEMS.

the other product I take daily is Okanagan wine.

All 3 products I believe in!!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interestingly enough no. i usually check AFTER. :) but if i'm taking a medication that is banned it is usually a steroid and they're all banned but i'd rather live at that point and i'm not really concerned about banned substances. once the crisis is over i'll do damage control and research. the 2nd to last time i took a steroid it was in combination with 2 other (non banned) substances and I had no clue. after a few days of it it occurred to me to maybe look into them as I had a race coming up. turns out one was banned so i dropped that medication and dealt with the pain.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never checked myself against "the list", but not through complacency. More because of fortunate/careful circumstances.
I don't take any supplements, and have been lucky enough to have never needed (or felt the need for) meds close enough to a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last winter when I was prescribed Norco, I didn't know exactly what it was, so before I took it I used Google to find out what it was and if it was on the banned substance list.

Turns out that it's not on the list and is a moderate pain killer.

I looked at all of the warnings and side effects and none of them listed "Purchasing Bike Parts" but somehow I wound up with a new bike during that time period. :)

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is psilocybin on the list?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Follow up to "T before 70.3" thread - Are you SURE you aren't using any banned substances? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
When I had my steroid shot in my back, I did not check anything. Since I was basically not able to walk, whether it was "legal" or not was the last thing on my mind.

I had the same shot. I looked after it to see how they handled it, and as long as it is "out of competition" you are fine. But not right before a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow up to "T before 70.3" thread - Are you SURE you aren't using any banned substances? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if that's on the list, but I'm also not sure if you'd be able to find the water to start the race if you were on it either...

So far it looks like the ST crowd is pro-active in making sure they are in compliance. Hopefully that is a reflection of the masses as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow up to "T before 70.3" thread - Are you SURE you aren't using any banned substances? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrong quotation. It should be "I don't always take medication. But when I do, WADA removes it from the list."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only time I have ever checked the list was in arguments on slowtwitch. I should say that everyone should check the list because there are common prescriptions on that list, like albuterol, and other things that are over the counter. Some lady got busted for taking a supplement that was steroid-ish (forgot the name) to help her menopause symptoms and they sanctioned her for a year - I think she said she bought it at GNC. Keep in mind, I have publicly stated I don't care very much about or for WADA or USADA and so their publications are not high on my reading list.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow up to "T before 70.3" thread - Are you SURE you aren't using any banned substances? [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Albuterol is on the list and is banned when used above therapeutic levels.

I have wicked asthma and will take anything if it means I can go put in some good training. My doc got me on some meds that really cleared me up which made me concerned that it would be banned. Checked, as long as I don't take my inhaler rectally I will be fine.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Follow up to "T before 70.3" thread - Are you SURE you aren't using any banned substances? [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
Albuterol is on the list and is banned when used above therapeutic levels.

I have wicked asthma and will take anything if it means I can go put in some good training. My doc got me on some meds that really cleared me up which made me concerned that it would be banned. Checked, as long as I don't take my inhaler rectally I will be fine.

Looks like the official limit is 17 puffs a day. I don't know any asthmatic that needs THAT much albuterol and if they do the docs already have them on other stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow up to "T before 70.3" thread - Are you SURE you aren't using any banned substances? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the AdVair disk is the money shot plus I use Qvar up my nose, much better delivery system. I did 100 miles of gravel last weekend and never needed my rescue inhaler, which is good because I lost it.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply

Prev Next