Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Follow Age Group Triathlons On Weekends
Quote | Reply
With all these tris every weekend, increasingly I am passing up on pro sports and spending time hitting updates on ironman.com of age group athletes. I literally don't care what is going on in the pro field for most races other than a few big ones like Roth, Frankfurt, Melbourne, which seems to be too bad because I am generally a supporter of pro racing. I gloss over ITU because it is a sport that I can't related to (I don't do draft legal racing). That leaves watching pro cycling, pro tennis, some track and age group triathlon updates!

Other than to get a benchmarks of how fast or slow a course is to compare age group times what the pros do in weekly IM events is a bit irrelevant and I never thought I would say this. I am having more fun seeing if Diana Hassel can hold off ex pro Heather Gollnick in W45-49 at IM Boulder than any MLB game this weekend! I suppose it also helps that I personally know a bunch of people racing all over the IM circuit every weekend, so it is fun following their progress. Watching people racing for Kona slots, PB's or battling to the finish ends up being quite exciting, in between stuff going on at home.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Follow Age Group Triathlons On Weekends [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never watched sports. Do not get the appeal at all. Why watch people do stuff while you sit there and get fat? Go out and play something.

Frankly feel the same about triathlon pros. I will steam some of Kona, then I am good for the year in watching sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wrote in the water temp thread. Following these really fast Age Groupers at Boulder is very fun and pretty darn exciting. I only wish the coverage was better.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually like looking at local results best. I love to see whether local fast guy/girl xxx beat other local. It becomes personal. I know these people and hopefully the tracking on the local level gets better and better with technology. Sport for me is always about the personal connection. You need to identify with the racers. That is what makes sport fun. I do however like to see what the best are doing.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow Age Group Triathlons On Weekends [PaulMoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaulMoody wrote:
I actually like looking at local results best. I love to see whether local fast guy/girl xxx beat other local. It becomes personal. I know these people and hopefully the tracking on the local level gets better and better with technology. Sport for me is always about the personal connection. You need to identify with the racers. That is what makes sport fun. I do however like to see what the best are doing.

I guess that is the thing. Tracking some of the people you know, perhaps trained with, socialized with, and even raced with is fun. It almost makes you feel like you are out there. Really enjoyed seeing some of the guys pull it together at Boulder today. One of my friends was 6th out of the water and 1st 30-34 out of the water. It was exciting seeing that. I was hoping that STer Diana Hassel might hold off ex Pro Heather Gollnick, but looks like Heather made the pass. Still hoping Diana has enough in the tank to get a KQ as she has been a 100/100 participant most years. CPT Chaos looks like he bagged a Kona slot. Also a long time participant in many of our ST virtual training camps. Steffen Brocks (Owtback86) looks like he got 8th in 45-49. Luckily he already has a Kona slot from Cour d'Alene....the list goes on!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wish it was easier to track non pros at the races
Quote Reply