Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flying with a speed concept
Quote | Reply
So I'm gonna need to fly with my new 9.9. In the past, when I've put my bike in a bike box, I'd just loosen the stem and bend the aerobara down. But this can't be done with a speed concept. Is there a certain way to pack a speed concept into a bike box?
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with a speed concept [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've flown with my speed concept in a trico ironcase and a triall3 sports double case.

Basically, you need to release the front brake, and remove the basebar from the stem. Then you can twist it around as needed to fit in the box.

In the Trico case, becase the basebar then rests basically on the headtube/frontfork, I put some extra padding inbetween them to prevent scratching and reduce the possibility of a crush situation.

Flown twice in the double and thrice in the single case with no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
^^^^X2

I usually fly with a Performance hard case, and I also unscrew the RD from the hanger so the hanger can't get bent/broken off.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Last edited by: owtbac86: Aug 4, 13 13:07
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with a speed concept [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I also unscrew the RD from the hanger so the hanger can't can't get bent/broken off.

Yeah that too, but I figured that was ass-u-med :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
resurrecting this thread since it most closely matched my search for shipping a Speed Concept 9.

Did you end up packing and flying with your SC 9? If so, how did it go?

I am planning on shipping mine via Bikeflights (which will be via FedEx), in a cardboard bike box. I am hoping that I can just remove the basebar from the stem, release the brake wedge, and not have to mess with removing the aero bar extensions.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with a speed concept [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I flew with it. It fit in a serfas bike box, and yes, just remove basebar from stem and release front brake wedge thingy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cool. thanks. I just took mine apart, and it was a lot easier than I anticipated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speed concept does not generate enough lift.. you will struggle to get it off the ground...
Its even worse in a bike box unless the box has wings..

Still good on you for trying, please post pics if successful..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
resurrecting this thread since it most closely matched my search for shipping a Speed Concept 9.

Did you end up packing and flying with your SC 9? If so, how did it go?

I am planning on shipping mine via Bikeflights (which will be via FedEx), in a cardboard bike box. I am hoping that I can just remove the basebar from the stem, release the brake wedge, and not have to mess with removing the aero bar extensions.

Wait a minute?

You can afford a SC9 but not a proper bike case?

Cardboard. Really?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful removing the bolts that hold the rear derailleur hanger in place... They are fairly soft metal and I stuffed mine as I possibly was not paying as much attention as I should have or the metal is ultra soft.

Jeremy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've flown with my SC multiple times with my triall3 case. All I had to do was undo the screws on the top, fold my handlebars down slightly and taped them to the frame and put some foam so no rubbing or movement. Never had to undo the brake etc. Never had any damage or issues. Customs agents who search your case upon return are a entire different story! Make sure you are packed and secured very well. Those asses couldn't care less about your expensive machine and it shows! ALWAYS have had issues with the way they repack or attempt to put cover back on
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with a speed concept [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
You can afford a SC9 but not a proper bike case?

Cardboard. Really?

I have a travel case (Trico) that I've had for a while and used numerous times. It's a bit of a hassle to pack though. After watching friends ship theirs with the (cardboard) boxes that the bike companies use, it seemed a lot easier -- less disassembly, back wheel stays on ,etc. I will be shipping via bikeflights (FedEx), not checking with the airline. If I were doing the latter I would use the travel case for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sci-Con aerocomfort bag. Wheels off, bike in bag, good to go.

Check it out...

Jeffrey Sankoff, MD
TriDoc Coaching/TriDoc Podcast
Train hard, train healthy
http://www.tridocpodcast.com
http://www.tridoccoaching.com
Quote Reply