Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flo wheels.
Quote | Reply
I know this has probably been asked dozens of times before, but I'm starting to look at wheels for my 2016 Argon 18 Nitrogen. I'm looking at order 31-33 from flo. But curious what would be a good rookie set up. I still have a little more weight to loose then I'm going to inside out sports for a fitting and will have my bike set up for tri. Is it really a big deal to have 90's front and back, or a 60/90 setup? Would a 45/60 be a better setup? My bike came with the vision 30's.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo wheels. [ColinW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to go wrong with a 60/90 combo. I went that direction last year and really like them.

I used to race a trispoke front, that was really squirrely. Did IM Coz in the winds last year and the 60 front was easy to handle (i'm 190... or I was then :( ). I imagine going to a 90 front would be a pretty big difference handling wise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How windy is it where you live and race? I live where it's really windy and a 90 in the front is just much to deal with. 60 in the front is a smarter overall investment because you will be able to race it anywhere and not worry about if it's going to be too windy. On the rear, 90s are fine. I ride a disc on the rear all the time here and it doesn't bother me whatsoever. So "just" a 90 is totally fine.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Flo wheels. [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
How windy is it where you live and race? I live where it's really windy and a 90 in the front is just much to deal with. 60 in the front is a smarter overall investment because you will be able to race it anywhere and not worry about if it's going to be too windy. On the rear, 90s are fine. I ride a disc on the rear all the time here and it doesn't bother me whatsoever. So "just" a 90 is totally fine.

I second this! I live where its gusty. A 60/90 is a good option, but I would suggest trying to find a way that you can ride some different setups in depths and see how they feel. The disc really stabilizes the bike in the winds. Its awesome.

It also depends on what your bike handling skills are. In the wind tunnel a 90 maybe fastest on the front and then a 60, 45 and 30 but if you can't handle the 60 in the winds then a 30 will be faster. The front wheel is the biggest concern for a wheel set feeling squirly or not handling well in the wind.

All that to say as well a disc in the rear really helps settle a bike in the wind. which is why after riding some 60/disc setups, I will be switching to that as soon as funds/wife are available. This setup won't be a massive speed gain so to speak, but it will be "some." A disc on the back just looks sexy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
60/90 is a strong race setup or even 60/60. I have 60/60 for most races and will throw a disc on for some races. Can't go wrong with Flo in general. 90/90 can be a bit much if you have windy conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a 60/90 setup last year when they had a bit of a deal and absolutely love them. Even my wife admitted the bike looked much sexier with Flo wheels and if you feel fast, you are fast (at least in my head)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to go with 60/90 but the 60 sold out, so I went with the 45/90 and I am pretty happy with it. Also converted them to tubeless which has been great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc on the rear.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: May 1, 17 14:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go 60/90. I was debating between 90/90 and 60/90 when I got my first set of wheels. Canadian chimed into that thread and pointed out that there is very little performance difference between the 60 & 90 up front. Eventually, I will do a rear wheel cover or a disc. I just have not made time to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're fine with a 60/90. I am 6'0, 230 lbs (36 waist, but 44/46 jacket) and live/often ride in a beach town in Florida. It is nothing for us to have sustained winds at 15mph during morning rides. I was in your same position only 6 months ago. I decided on the 60/90 for a couple of reasons:

1. If I'm buying one set of wheels, I want to be able to use them as much as possible. The 60/90 were a good combo of fun training rides (when you need that boost of confidence) and racing.

2. Wind. I'm no expert bike handler, but I felt like my weight and quick reactions would be able catch me if I got a little squirrelly in big gusts with a 60 front.

3. Bike fit. If you're properly fitted to your bike, most of your weight should be on the rear wheel. Similar to number 2, with this in mind, I felt the 60 up front would be better and a bit safer.

If you are going to get FLOs (which I would highly recommend (no, I am not sponsored or otherwise getting any compensation to mention FLOs)), pay attention to the weight for each build. If you are over 200, I would highly consider getting the clydesdale build.

Let me know if you have any questions on the wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
60/90 or 60/disc if you don't have to worry about Kona. The Vision 30 will serve as a good backup wheel for really windy conditions. The 60 is a nice improvement that will be OK under changing conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo wheels. [trimdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I bought a 60/60 off here used and just put a Aerojacket on the back for disc effect. Looks and feels great.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo wheels. [trimdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimdc wrote:
60/90 is a strong race setup or even 60/60. I have 60/60 for most races and will throw a disc on for some races. Can't go wrong with Flo in general. 90/90 can be a bit much if you have windy conditions.
I went with the same setup except my disc cover is basically a permanent installation. At my HIM in September, the RD warned that there was a chance that rear discs would be banned due to the forecast of high wind , and so I didn't want to deal with removing it on race morning. That was the only race in the past 3 years where I didn't run the disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo wheels. [TriLawGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input everyone. Looks like the 60/90 will be the way for me. Time to put in some work. I'm 5'5" and approximately 210 but I want my race weight down in the 160's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am a 60/90 FLO owner. Love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ColinW wrote:
Thanks for all the input everyone. Looks like the 60/90 will be the way for me. Time to put in some work. I'm 5'5" and approximately 210 but I want my race weight down in the 160's.

The 60/90 is by far our best selling triathlon wheel set. If I only had one set of wheels for everything, that is what I would personally own. It's very fast and very versatile. The front 60 can be handled in winds by almost anyone, and the rear 90 actually helps increase your stability since it is deeper than the front 60. If you have any more specific questions, please let me know.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply