Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Flo is working on a new product
Quote | Reply
Via the Flo website blog, a new Flo product is being created. Tubular wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo is working on a new product [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carbon clinchers?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo is working on a new product [link5485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe Flo is moving towards carbon clinchers due to the excess upfront costs. Could there be minimum upfront costs in offering a tubular option for the Flo wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo is working on a new product [link5485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
link5485 wrote:
Carbon clinchers?

Carbon clinchers with fairings would indeed be a cool idea. Nobody has done it for the bike market except trek/bontrager, at least to the best of my knowledge (and the prices of the trek ones are not exactly flo-like ... ).

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jul 12, 14 10:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing it'll be something other than wheels, perhaps hydration related. $30 BTA bottle?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo is working on a new product [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
I'm guessing it'll be something other than wheels, perhaps hydration related. $30 BTA bottle?

I'm also guessing it will be something other than wheels. With their current product line, the only wheels it would seem they could add would raise the price point and compete more directly with other larger companies. Wouldn't make sense to me, but who knows?

Like dfroelich i'm calling some new accessory......
Quote Reply
Re: Flo is working on a new product [jacobpdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My official prediction is an aero helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm voting for a hub-based power meter to go with their wheels. Something in the $400 range.

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
Via the Flo website blog, a new Flo product is being created. Tubular wheels?

Power meter. I recall about a year ago someone asked about lacing a powertap to a flo 90 and one of the brothers responded that "power is something on our minds here at Flo". Either that or an aero bottle.

Something I think would be cool would be an Torhans-style aero bottle that integrated with a straight-pull brake. Only problem would be accounting for different head tube lengths. Taking this a step further, you could integrate the stem, aero bottle, front brake, and aero bars.... it's raining here so maybe I'll mock something up in Inventor...
Quote Reply
Re: Flo is working on a new product [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or an aero bar. Currently, the price to have a good aero bar is just ridiculous (800$ range). Having someone with a good aerodynamic at a lower cost would be great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Power meter. I recall about a year ago someone asked about lacing a powertap to a flo 90 and one of the brothers responded that "power is something on our minds here at Flo". Either that or an aero bottle.

I wonder if Flo's new product has anything to do with Keith Wakeham's formerly-DIY powermeter project gaining a new corporate stakeholder. There's a Canadian connection there (as the Flo brothers and Keith are all Canadian), and a low-cost powermeter would be a great fit for Flo's product line and fit their business model. A lower-cost carbon integrated aerobar solution would make a lot of sense too.

I for one doubt it'll be an aero bottle, given the current options out there that are already pretty reasonably-priced.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo is working on a new product [Tulkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This would be fantastic.

Incompatibility with PowerTaps is the reason I haven't taken the Flo plunge.

The math just isn't working for me to sell my PT wheelset, buy a set of Flo's, and buy a crank-based PM. That's a lot of $$$ just to upgrade my S80's to Flos. Getting a Flo with a PM might tip the deal into defensible territory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Perhaps "Power is something on our minds" means "We're thinking about offering Powertap options in the future, but let's first sell a few regular wheels"...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Flo is working on a new product [playmobil31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playmobil31 wrote:
or an aero bar. Currently, the price to have a good aero bar is just ridiculous (800$ range). Having someone with a good aerodynamic at a lower cost would be great.

This is my guess as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo is working on a new product [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessartype wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Perhaps "Power is something on our minds" means "We're thinking about offering Powertap options in the future, but let's first sell a few regular wheels"...

I always wondered why they didn't offer a lacing pattern compatible with powertap hubs from the start. It wouldn't have been a big/special effort on their part. The only explanation, IMO, is that they planned to offer their own hub-based power meter in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im saying power meter as well.
I was googling ANT+ protcoll specifics for my own project a while back when I found a post by (probably) one of the flo guys saying he was trying to build a power meter.

Heres the link:

http://forum.arduino.cc/...p?topic=21227.0;wap2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe they're planning something - but Powertap compatibility, on a faired wheel, demands a few extra calculations and considerations. The FLO hubs have quite a narrow flange, and I think the narrower G3 hubs weren't available at the time. A difference in hub-flange height means a difference in the path a spoke takes to the rim - ergo, you might need a different set of holes for that.

Besides, offering Powertap options doesn't really fit into their current business model: It sounds like they've sorta-streamlined the process of offering their hubs with their rims and fairings, and Powertaps require getting yet another supplier on board, making sure everything clicks together, and basically setting up a second set of production lines for a product that's a niche within a niche...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Flo is working on a new product [IJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IJ wrote:
Im saying power meter as well.
I was googling ANT+ protcoll specifics for my own project a while back when I found a post by (probably) one of the flo guys saying he was trying to build a power meter.

Heres the link:

http://forum.arduino.cc/...p?topic=21227.0;wap2

Awesome! Definitely looks like this is the answer. I wonder if they will give me a free one for being the first one to guess correctly;)

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Re: Flo is working on a new product [playmobil31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playmobil31 wrote:

I'm with you, I bet it's an aero bar setup.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: Flo is working on a new product [IJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OSINT for the win!

Yeah I would say power meter or bars. weight to power meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's real and it's spectacular ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Flo is working on a new product [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt it will be a powermeter, that requires not only development of hardware but also firmware and software, and integration with other units from other manufacturers... and this requires A LOT of time for many people. Not something they can do successfully in their spare time. Remember when the Metrigear story? That took probably 5 years before it eventually became the commercial Vector.

Quote | Reply
Agreed with you on this. The development time and energy needed for a power meter is something that not many companies would want to deal with

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Flo is working on a new product [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aero bar with integrated hydration perhaps?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo is working on a new product [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Agreed with you on this. The development time and energy needed for a power meter is something that not many companies would want to deal with

That's why my theory is they partnered with Keith Wakeham who was doing a lot of the work anyway just for fun on his own time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next