Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Flo Disc "Whomp-Whomp-Whomp" Sound
Quote | Reply
Does the current Flo carbon clincher disc wheel make a righteous "whomp-whomp-whomp" sound? How strong is the Flo whomp relative to other leading disc wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc "Whomp-Whomp-Whomp" Sound [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't because it's spoked. It has it's own special noise, but not the typical "Whomp Whomp" you get from an unspoked carbon disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is definitely a sound but it's different than a zipp sound
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc "Whomp-Whomp-Whomp" Sound [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well rats. I guess you cannot have it all: performance, value, and whomp-whomp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For some reason I don't get that on any disc...Zipp 900, Flo, HED.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc "Whomp-Whomp-Whomp" Sound [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Flo and HED make their discs with spoked wheels, so they won't make the sound.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc "Whomp-Whomp-Whomp" Sound [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
trail wrote:

Flo and HED make their discs with spoked wheels, so they won't make the sound.

My HED disc had no spokes. Old one - 7sp freehub. I turned it into my coffee table.

I've heard Flo discs sort of make the noise, just not me/mine.

Nothing on my Zipp 900.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Renn disc makes a sound like a A380 taking off, scares the shit out of people!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was your HED disc tubular?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sold my zipp 900 (tubular) and bought a Flo disc(clincher). Lost the sound and made me sad.

Sold the flo and bought another zipp 900 (tubular) for the sound alone.

Hard to hear on the open road but you know that sound in your left ear is soul-crushing.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc "Whomp-Whomp-Whomp" Sound [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a super 9 and I concur the whomp whomp is soul crushing- especially when someone is passing you too unfortunately
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Well rats. I guess you cannot have it all: performance, value, and whomp-whomp.

Of course you can.. Renn 555.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't really hear it unless you are riding beside it or being passed. I don't hear my disc make the sound unless I'm able to bounce that sound off something like a wall I'm riding past.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Does the current Flo carbon clincher disc wheel make a righteous "whomp-whomp-whomp" sound? How strong is the Flo whomp relative to other leading disc wheels?

Yeah sorry, no whomp. Now you can sneak up on your competitors without them knowing ;)

Have a great day,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Flo disk (older version though) sounded more like a Cuban steel drum. Or an oil drum rolling down a hill. You choose. It wasn't particularly appealing sound either way...

Performance was fine though, which is was really mattered. Sadly had to sell it when I switched to 11sp, as the older model could not be converted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

Serious question, but doesn't that whomp whomp sound come at an energy expenditure?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc "Whomp-Whomp-Whomp" Sound [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes and no.

The energy required for the sound does come from the rider. However, sound is very inefficient mechanism of dispersing energy relative to heat. This is the reason hubs which make a lot of noise and still be more efficient than silent hubs if the silent hubs have higher friction/heat outputs. The same physics holds for trainers. Trainers than are able to create heat a lot of heat via friction (fluid, spin bikes with pads etc) can be nearly silent while Lemond-style wind trainers need to be deafeningly loud to dissipate the same level of energy. So while the whomp-whomp is an energy loss its a lower loss than having a non-disc creating heat etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc "Whomp-Whomp-Whomp" Sound [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your checks in the mail. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc "Whomp-Whomp-Whomp" Sound [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
I have a super 9 and I concur the whomp whomp is soul crushing- especially when someone is passing you too unfortunately

I love that whomp-whomp, and I don't even have a wheel/disc that whomps!

I will say, however, that I've passed like 5x the number of cyclists with whomping discs as compared to being passed by whomping discs. Apparently you don't even have to go fast to whomp, as I've seen guys going 18mph with a whomp.

My aerojacket which is taped to my rear spoked wheel makes zero sound (unfortunately).
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc "Whomp-Whomp-Whomp" Sound [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Zipp Super 9 makes the whomp like crazy. Love this wheel! Glad I read this thread because I was looking at HED's Jet Disc and there is no way I would buy that wheel unless it made that whomp whomp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2

Most of the time I hear that sound I'm doing the passing with my measly Aerojacket as well. Seems like the riders who pass me are almost always running deep rims, as opposed to discs. Doesn't really matter the course or wind conditions. Wondering if most newbies splurge for a disc thinking it's some sort of magical speed inducer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if anyone makes a whomp-whomp sound generator. You could just attach it to the rear hub, and it has in internal gyro so it whomps to the gyro. It is like BMWs that pump simulated engine sounds through the car's audio system. There would be a market for a whomp-whomp simulator. Imagine the intimidation at Kona where discs are not allowed, yet racers pass with whomp-whomp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I bought my Hed disc it didn't make the "whomp". I was bummed.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc "Whomp-Whomp-Whomp" Sound [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a sound file of the flo or he's disc? I have never actually heard them
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc "Whomp-Whomp-Whomp" Sound [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like this:
Quote Reply

Prev Next