Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Flo Cycling Prototype Video and Pictures ****NEW VIDEO AND PICTURES ADDED TO FIRST POST****

We are very happy to share with you the first official Flo Cycling Prototype Wheels. You can find a video and pictures on our blog.

http://bit.ly/ebvnTA

As always, questions, comments and suggestions are very welcome.

All the best,

NEW VIDEO AND PICTURES

See the pictures and prototype testing video of the Front FLO 90

http://bit.ly/dNIAtH

Wind Tunnel Results
http://bit.ly/mlu0Bm

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Last edited by: Canadian: May 8, 11 22:59

Re: Flo Cycling Prototype Video and Pictures [Canadian] [ In reply to ]

Looks great! Logo looks nice and clean.

The really great news is that I get a spring bonus early next month.... I just wonder what that might go toward.

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.

Those look really good. Congratulations

Re: Flo Cycling Prototype Video and Pictures [Quantum] [ In reply to ]

Quantum wrote:
Looks great! Logo looks nice and clean.

Thanks! We are very happy with the way the logos turned out as well. The colors and stealth option will be very cool looking too!

Chris Thornham

Re: Flo Cycling Prototype Video and Pictures [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]

AnthonyS wrote:
The really great news is that I get a spring bonus early next month.... I just wonder what that might go toward.

Haha. I like the sounds of that!

Chris Thornham

Re: Flo Cycling Prototype Video and Pictures [Runless] [ In reply to ]

Very Sweet! What are the current projected price-points for all the wheels? I need to start putting money aside and sell my planet X wheel!
Last edited by: UMDRunner: Mar 22, 11 20:08

Re: Flo Cycling Prototype Video and Pictures [Runless] [ In reply to ]

Runless wrote:
Those look really good. Congratulations

Thank you for the comment. It's greatly appreciated.

Chris Thornham

Looks very nice indeed and thanks for not wearin white

Well I've been following the blog and e-mails for months now. I happen to own a matte black felt too..... Seeing your wheels on that bike really helped add fuel to my fire for these wheels.

Call me silly, but I like the sounds of an aero fairing made of carbon on a proven aluminum rim. It seems quite logical to me.

Hopefully I will have a set to ride on for my first Olympic the first week of June.

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.

Looks good, getting a viable product to market, even if it is made for you by someone else overseas, is still a lot of work. I hope it pays off. A few hopefully constructive comments:
- you should try to keep the brake track cosmetically anodized or hard anodized black (or near black), it would make the wheels look much better than with a silver brake track. The anodization (well, especially hard anodization) takes a long to time to wear for most flatland riders. And even slightly worn, it still looks better than a silver brake track. And it would make your wheels look different.
- the skewer handle design is not clean, it looks overly busy and over wrought. I doubt it is aero. If you guys are having these made to your spec, you could easily design the handle to be smooth, strong, light, and aero.
- it will be very interesting to see how "tight" you'll be able to get the spoke holes in the production versions. My guess is that it won't be easy to do, but very small holes look way better than big holes.
- finally, don't take this personally, but whoever rides that felt DA really needs a good bike fit. Because that saddle angle shows that something is not right with the rider's fit.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--

Man, they look great! Pretty sure that's the set I'll be getting. 60/90 with stealth logos

Formerly DrD

Re: Flo Cycling Prototype Video and Pictures [UMDRunner] [ In reply to ]

UMDRunner wrote:
Very Sweet! What are the current projected price-points for all the wheels? I need to start putting money aside and sell my planet X wheel!

Fronts wheels should be $325-$375 and rear wheels should be $375-$425. Disc wheels should still be $499.

Here is a bit of history with our pricing. When we started this whole venture 18 months ago we asked ourselves if we could put race wheels on the market for $249 (front) and $299 (rear). Our original plans were to use plastic fairings, cheap spokes, cheap hubs and cheap rims. We found out that was possible and then the engineers in us kicked in.

We asked ourselves... "who the heck would want to ride a plastic wheel with cheap components?" The answer was nobody. Long story short we have done every thing in our power to design a high quality wheel at a great price. Have our prices gone up $75-$125 per wheel since the inception of this idea? Yes. However, here is the list of improvements we've added...

Plastic Fairings --> Changed to Carbon Fiber Fairings
"Any old Aero Shape" --> Changed to a leading edge aerodynamic shape that has been designed using CFD and will be testing in the wind tunnel.
Cheap rims --> Now Custom built Aluminum Rim designed to match our custom designed "wide" fairings
Cheap Hubs --> Changed to High Quality Aluminum hubs with a ceramic upgrade option
Cheap Round Spokes --> Changed to Industry Leading Sapim CX-Ray Aero Spokes.

We think those are pretty good reasons to increase the price by $75-$125. Additionally, exchange rates have changed effecting us by 15% and increased our material pricing.

Thanks for the comments. We are very happy you like what you see,

Chris Thornham

Re: Flo Cycling Prototype Video and Pictures [bmanners] [ In reply to ]

bmanners wrote:
Looks very nice indeed and thanks for not wearin white

Haha! Thanks bmanners.

Chris Thornham

These wheels look great. I like the look of the black brake track, but it's likely not worth it if the finish rubs off too easily and costs more to produce. Good work guys!

I also like the black brake tracts - makes the wheel look "deeper". A look most find more appealing.

Seems like a pretty high spoke count? How many front - 24? For race/aero wheels, will there be options for less spokes? Nice touch using the best spokes out there, the sapim CX-ray though - those aren't cheap!

Re: Flo Cycling Prototype Video and Pictures [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]

AnthonyS wrote:
Well I've been following the blog and e-mails for months now. I happen to own a matte black felt too..... Seeing your wheels on that bike really helped add fuel to my fire for these wheels.

Call me silly, but I like the sounds of an aero fairing made of carbon on a proven aluminum rim. It seems quite logical to me.

Hopefully I will have a set to ride on for my first Olympic the first week of June.

The aluminum rim is great. All of our reviewers to date are very excited about the wide brake track. They handle very well. Trust me... we are doing are very best to get these wheels on the market as soon as humanly possible.

Thanks for the comments!

Chris Thornham

Re: Flo Cycling Prototype Video and Pictures [Dark] [ In reply to ]

Dark wrote:
Looks good, getting a viable product to market, even if it is made for you by someone else overseas, is still a lot of work. I hope it pays off. A few hopefully constructive comments:
- you should try to keep the brake track cosmetically anodized or hard anodized black (or near black), it would make the wheels look much better than with a silver brake track. The anodization (well, especially hard anodization) takes a long to time to wear for most flatland riders. And even slightly worn, it still looks better than a silver brake track. And it would make your wheels look different.
- the skewer handle design is not clean, it looks overly busy and over wrought. I doubt it is aero. If you guys are having these made to your spec, you could easily design the handle to be smooth, strong, light, and aero.
- it will be very interesting to see how "tight" you'll be able to get the spoke holes in the production versions. My guess is that it won't be easy to do, but very small holes look way better than big holes.
- finally, don't take this personally, but whoever rides that felt DA really needs a good bike fit. Because that saddle angle shows that something is not right with the rider's fit.

Thanks for the comments. Let me address some of your points.

We are considering keeping the brake tracks anodized. Our only fear is that people may not be happy when they wear off.

The skewer shape is out of our control.

We are shooting for much tighter fitting spoke holes.

That is my Felt DA. I have just purchased a new saddle and am currently working on fixing the angle. I've been injured for the last few months and working my tail off on this business. It will be corrected in due time ;)

Thanks for the comments,

Chris Thornham

Re: Flo Cycling Prototype Video and Pictures [DrD] [ In reply to ]

DrD wrote:
Man, they look great! Pretty sure that's the set I'll be getting. 60/90 with stealth logos

I'm happy to hear you like them.

Thanks,

Chris Thornham

I'll add two criticisms/questions:

1. I agree the skewers are less than desirable. Lots of companies are doing the external cammed titanium skewers. Ti might be out of your price point, but there is a 65 gram version as well that KCNC sells: http://fairwheelbikes.com/...-skewers-p-2613.html

2. I'd be curious to know why you went with Sapim CX Rays. Unless they are really more aerodynamic, then why not some of the other aerodynamic spokes that are closer to $1/spoke? Thats a $50 price cut per wheelset.

Re: Flo Cycling Prototype Video and Pictures [beston] [ In reply to ]

beston wrote:
These wheels look great. I like the look of the black brake track, but it's likely not worth it if the finish rubs off too easily and costs more to produce. Good work guys!

We are still trying to finalize that detail. We are interested to see what people would prefer.

Thanks for the comments!

Chris Thornham

You guys have a great thing going here! I wish you all the best and will be looking for a 90 front just as soon as you're ready to ship these bad boys!

"One Line Robert"

Re: Flo Cycling Prototype Video and Pictures [rroof] [ In reply to ]

rroof wrote:
I also like the black brake tracts - makes the wheel look "deeper". A look most find more appealing.

Seems like a pretty high spoke count? How many front - 24? For race/aero wheels, will there be options for less spokes? Nice touch using the best spokes out there, the sapim CX-ray though - those aren't cheap!

Also wondering if there will be a fewer spoked option?

Re: Flo Cycling Prototype Video and Pictures [rroof] [ In reply to ]

rroof wrote:

I really like the look too. We are trying to figure out what people would prefer. We want to avoid people being upset if the black wears off.

It's actually a 20 spoke wheel. The rear wheel has 24 spokes. Clydesdales will have the option to choose 28 spokes in the rear. The CX-Rays are definitely expensive! We really want to bring a high quality product to the market. I'd consider the spoke one of the weakest links of a wheel. We could have sourced cheaper spokes but didn't want spoke failure to be an issue. CX-Rays are truly in a league of their own when it comes to fatigue testing. You can see it here in this graph...

http://www.sapim.be/...p;detail=fatiguetest

All the best,

Chris Thornham

nice wheels, but would not personally use the skewers. Good luck in your venture.

Formely stef32

Prev Next