Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Flo 60/90 vs. Flo 90/Disc
Quote | Reply
I realize people pick their race wheel setup based on conditions, but not everyone has an aresnal of race wheels to toss on for whatever the conditions warrent. Having said that, I've now built up my stock of Flo race wheels and have basically all of them beside the 30's. What would be a reasonable estimate of the time savings (Ironman distance) of a Flo 60/90 vs. Flo 90/Disc setup. All things equal with rider, bike, power output etc.

I understand that this question is could be shot to hell for a number of reasons...but I want to see what you guys think is the actual advantage of riding the deepest and most aero wheels vs. a very versatile set-up such as a 60/90.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 vs. Flo 90/Disc [SwiftRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
90/Disc. Unless it's Savageman in which has all wheel sets are about equal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This information is found on Flo's website
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you like your Flo Wheels overall? On par with Zipp? Or is there a significant difference?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The smart man's choice is a 60 front and a 30 w/ cover rear.

The 90 front is only faster than the 60 precisely when you don't want the extra depth up front.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 vs. Flo 90/Disc [crock82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have nothing to compare them to, Flo is all that I've owned concerning race wheels. I own a 2014 Trek SC 7.5 BTW.

To the other poster...yes, I I've seen the data on their site...but I don't remember a 112 mile TT comparison between the two sets of wheels I've mentioned. Could you send me a link to the specifics or else venture a guess as to the time savings? I'm no pro at reading the charts to determine the approx. time savings. But I can say that I ride the wheels and feel that they all are fast compared to the stock wheels on the SC.

I really just used Flo as an example since they are the wheels I ride...what would you guys say is a good estimate for time savings on any wheels with the given dimensions?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 vs. Flo 90/Disc [crock82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crock82 wrote:
How do you like your Flo Wheels overall? On par with Zipp? Or is there a significant difference?
In Reply To:

After a LOT of research and thought, I decided this: You get what you pay for. Flo's cost a little over $900, on average. Zipps will run you $2500+. When you buy Flo's, you get a great wheel that is a vast improvement over your stock wheelset. When you buy Zipps, you are obviously buying a better wheel. There is a reason Zipp is the most popular wheel out there.

I think the main difference is weight, construction, and usage. You will save close to a couple pounds of weight (which is less important than aerodynamics) with the Zipps, in addition to the fact that Zipp carbon is structural, whereas Flo is not. The main (IMO) benefit to the FLO's is that they are cheap enough that you can use the same set for training and racing. I think Zipps are faster and the weight does make a difference for me on hills, especially being a lighter rider.

That said, I went with Zipps. Flo's are also an excellent choice. Depends how much you have to spend, I suppose.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 vs. Flo 90/Disc [ak_piper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ak_piper wrote:
You will save close to a couple pounds of weight .

For sake of accuracy, a set of 808's is 1840g. A set of Flo 90's is 2198g. 358g is less than .8lbs difference for the pair of wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 vs. Flo 90/Disc [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOW2000 wrote:
ak_piper wrote:
You will save close to a couple pounds of weight .

For sake of accuracy, a set of 808's is 1840g. A set of Flo 90's is 2198g. 358g is less than .8lbs difference for the pair of wheels.

Good call. I'm sure you're right on the 808 combo, but most people seem to run a 404/808 or 60/90 combo. Zipps (tubulars), weigh in at 1,570 grams. The Flo's weigh in at 1,936 g. That's a weight difference of nearly 13 oz. (not a "couple of pounds," granted). When we're spending thousands to save minutes, that's a lot. Flo's are great wheels for the price, but you get what you pay for. Spend less money, add more weight to drag up a hill or to accelerate out of a corner/braking situation. Regarding Crock82's question as to whether Flo's are on par with Zipps, the answer is no.
Last edited by: ak_piper: Oct 23, 14 22:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how many minutes do those 13oz save you? And perhaps you could spend the money saved from buying Flo instead of Zipp on other aero goodies or a visit to a wind tunnel.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 vs. Flo 90/Disc [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference between my Reynolds Element and Lightweight Autobahn (almost 400g) was good for over 10 seconds on my local 10 mile sporting course.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 vs. Flo 90/Disc [snaaijert] [ak_piper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
So how many minutes do those 13oz save you? And perhaps you could spend the money saved from buying Flo instead of Zipp on other aero goodies or a visit to a wind tunnel.

ak_piper wrote:
Flo's cost a little over $900, on average. Zipps will run you $2500+.

$2,500 - $900 = $1,600
$1,600 / $495 per hour (A2 Wind Tunnel) = About 3 hours and 15 minutes in the tunnel

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the benefit of structural carbon? Do you think this makes a stronger wheel than a standard aluminum wheel with a non-structural carbon fairing? What do you believe makes a full carbon wheel faster than an aluminum/carbon hybrid? Is braking not a consideration, or do you believe a carbon brake surface is as good as an aluminum brake surface?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like FLO wheels, I have some. But for what it's worth, LeftLane still have a sale on 2013 American Classic 85 carbon pair for not much more than a pair of FLOs.

http://www.leftlanesports.com/product.aspx?p=AMC01232
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
13oz, if only there was a way to not have to drag an additional 13oz up a hill. Maybe replace one weekly beer with water? Or replace that bowl of ice cream with a bowl of berries? Or...well you get the picture. For the vast majority of triathletes there are 13oz we can cut off the engine before we need to worry about wheel weight.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ak_piper wrote:
When you buy Zipps, you are obviously buying a better wheel.

Based on what? Price?

ak_piper wrote:
There is a reason Zipp is the most popular wheel out there.

True: marketing

ak_piper wrote:
I think the main difference is weight, construction, and usage.

And yet, as long as a wheel is safe, none of those things matter nearly as much as aerodynamics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SwiftRunner wrote:
I have nothing to compare them to, Flo is all that I've owned concerning race wheels. I own a 2014 Trek SC 7.5 BTW.

To the other poster...yes, I I've seen the data on their site...but I don't remember a 112 mile TT comparison between the two sets of wheels I've mentioned. Could you send me a link to the specifics or else venture a guess as to the time savings? I'm no pro at reading the charts to determine the approx. time savings. But I can say that I ride the wheels and feel that they all are fast compared to the stock wheels on the SC.

I really just used Flo as an example since they are the wheels I ride...what would you guys say is a good estimate for time savings on any wheels with the given dimensions?
http://flocycling.blogspot.com/...eight-follow-up.html

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 vs. Flo 90/Disc [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:

The 90 front is only faster than the 60 precisely when you don't want the extra depth up front.

I'm not following you. Doesn't this show the Flo 90 faster than the 60 under all yaw conditions: http://www.flocycling.com/aero.php

...same for the disc versus 90? Or are you factoring $ into the equation?

-Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:

How is a 30 with a cover better than a disc? Unless you have a very light cover wouldn't the disc would be lighter and more aerodynamic?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 vs. Flo 90/Disc [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wheel cover on a 30 has almost identical performance as the disc.

Lighter doesn't mean anything on like 99% of tri courses so I don't know why people keep bringing that up.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 vs. Flo 90/Disc [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WiScott wrote:
Nick B wrote:

I'm not following you. Doesn't this show the Flo 90 faster than the 60 under all yaw conditions: http://www.flocycling.com/aero.php

-Scott

You have to consider that 90% of the time you'll be under 7.5 degrees of yaw. The difference between the 60 and 90 is <1w. When you're experiencing 10deg of yaw, it's REALLY windy.
Last edited by: Nick B: Oct 24, 14 12:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So why a 30 over a disc? To have a 30 for training days? I understand weight << aero, but if aero is equal, then why not choose the lighter wheel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:
WiScott wrote:
Nick B wrote:

-Scott

You have to consider that 90% of the time you'll be under 7.5 degrees of yaw. The difference between the 60 and 90 is <1w. When you're experiencing 10deg of yaw, it's REALLY windy.

You sure about that? At 25mph, with a 5mph crosswind, your at a Yaw of 11 degrees. Pretty rare to do a race, in the midwest at least, with <5mph wind. I usually hope for winds that light. Since I don't ride a disc.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 vs. Flo 90/Disc [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Nick B wrote:
WiScott wrote:
Nick B wrote:

-Scott

You sure about that? At 25mph, with a 5mph crosswind, your at a Yaw of 11 degrees. Pretty rare to do a race, in the midwest at least, with <5mph wind. I usually hope for winds that light. Since I don't ride a disc.

JustinPB wrote:
it depends on your terrain but the relevant rule to find windspeed at 1 m is this:

where v10 is the velocity at 10 meters
h is 1 meter in our case
and h10 is...well 10.

a is an exponent that depends on characteristics of the atmosphere and surface roughness of your terrain. It's lower (.2 or so) for open grassland and higher for areas with trees or houses and so on (up to ~.6).

A reasonable assumption is 30-40% of 10m speed at 1m.
Last edited by: Nick B: Oct 24, 14 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 vs. Flo 90/Disc [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
So why a 30 over a disc? To have a 30 for training days? I understand weight << aero, but if aero is equal, then why not choose the lighter wheel?

If you think a couple seconds over an hour is worth 500$ be my guest. I'd rather take that money and invest in tunnel time or other lower hanging fruit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next