Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Flo 60/90 or 90/Disc
Quote | Reply
I have decided to grab some Flo wheels in March and I am wondering what is the best race-day solution: 60/90 or 90/disc? If you could only run one wheelset, what would you get? My frame is a 2016 BMC TimeMachine 02 and I am a clydesdale, 6'3" 230lb, so I don't think the wind is a huge factor due to my weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 or 90/Disc [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
90/disc if you want the fastest combination. Anything else is a compromise for one reason or another.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are these going to be everyday wheels or just race wheels? Another good option is 90/90 with a cover just in case you encounter a race that doesn't allow discs. If handling isn't an issue then I don't think there would be a reason to get anything other than a 90 up front.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 or 90/Disc [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are race-specific wheels. I don't see the need to train on them, my stock wheels are fine for daily riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever ridden a deep front wheel?

I have a 60/90 set and occasionally put a wheelcover on the 90. I think it's a versatile setup.

The 90/Disc will most likely be the slightly faster setup on most courses but could be a handful in certain conditions.

A 60/Disc might be an option too. I've never had a situation where the 60 front was a handling problem.

Your body size is only one part of the decision, your comfort level with a deep 90 front is the biggest factor.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 or 90/Disc [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The deepest wheel I have had up front is a 404 I rode on my friends bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're comfortable with a 90 front then I'd go with a 90/90 or 90/disc set up.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 or 90/Disc [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
Have you ever ridden a deep front wheel?

I have a 60/90 set and occasionally put a wheelcover on the 90. I think it's a versatile setup.

The 90/Disc will most likely be the slightly faster setup on most courses but could be a handful in certain conditions.

A 60/Disc might be an option too. I've never had a situation where the 60 front was a handling problem.

Your body size is only one part of the decision, your comfort level with a deep 90 front is the biggest factor.

60/90 with disc cover is a solid choice and definitely would be the most versatile. The 60 front is versatile because, as you said, 60 front doesn't really bring about any handling problems. a 90 front might bring about handling problems in certain circumstances and the marginal benefit of a front 90 is lost if you're getting out of your aero position due to handling issues. In those cases, a 60 front would be better.

As far as the rear, 90+ wheel cover is a solid choice since it gives you both options.

Having said that, I got the 60/disc combo. I went with the disc because I intend to eventually get a rear 90 to have both options. I suppose I could've started with the rear 90 and then gone with the disc later, but i didn't want to buy a temporary rear cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:
I have decided to grab some Flo wheels in March and I am wondering what is the best race-day solution: 60/90 or 90/disc? If you could only run one wheelset, what would you get? My frame is a 2016 BMC TimeMachine 02 and I am a clydesdale, 6'3" 230lb, so I don't think the wind is a huge factor due to my weight.

90 / disc unless it gets really gusty, then 60 / disc. No matter how much you weigh, 30 mph gusts can be a handful on a front 90. So one wheelset only, 60/disc.

I have a FLO 60 front and a FLO 90 rear. I also picked up a HED jet disc. Similar to FLO in that it is a spoked wheel with a cover. I would have to say that I do not really feel that there is much of difference between the 90 and disc. I have used the 60/ disc for all 70.3 and 140.6 and it has worked fine. I have slightly favored the 90 on courses with a lot of long climbs like a hilly OLY in Wausau, WI. Truth is I could sell the disc or the rear 90 and would be ok using whatever I kept.

The only downside to the disc is that it is slightly more difficult to inflate and if I have to change a flat on a course, my C02 is a tight fit through the cut out.

I have not tried a 90 front, but if I could only have one front wheel it would be the 60. I did one tri in 30 + mph when I just had 60s front and rear, and my bike was at a 20-30 angle on one section. I would not have wanted a 90 front that day.
Last edited by: nickwisconsin: Feb 10, 16 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been debating the exact same thing. I am a bit lighter then you but at 205 I am still going to go Clydesdale rear. Having never ridden anything deeper then a 30 I am leaning towards the 60 up front.
Does a heavier rider affect the handling at all? intuitively I would think, heavier means it would hold a straight line better with winds, is this the case?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:
They are race-specific wheels. I don't see the need to train on them, my stock wheels are fine for daily riding.

It's alway worth training with deep wheels occasionally just to get a feel for the handling in windy conditions. You don't want to be surprised on raceday.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 or 90/Disc [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I was thinking as well. The Flos just won't be my primary wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 or 90/Disc [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I have read, the heavier you are, the less the wind is likely to catch your front wheel or at least it will be less dramatic when it happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the best thing to do would be to try and borrow a deeper front wheel to try it out. Make sure you have a deep wheel or disc on the back during the test. It stabilizes the bike.

Or just get the 90/disc and if you find the 90 is too much to deal with, sell it and get the 60. I'm sure you can unload it quickly on the classifieds.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would personally get the 60/60 with a disc cover. You can run the 60's during training rides and put the cover on for races depending on how many races you do.

I will leave it up to other to figure out that the time savings would be between a 60/disc and a 90/disc but I like the versatility of the 60/60/cover!
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 or 90/Disc [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would a Flo 30 with disk be the same as a 60 with disk.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 or 90/Disc [Pett'rifier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pett'rifier wrote:
Would a Flo 30 with disk be the same as a 60 with disk.

The 30 with a Catalyst carbon cover would be lighter than a FLO disc by my calculations.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 60 & 90 for front with a 90 & disc for rear. I have only raced with the 90/disc combo. FWIW
I'm 5'7 145 and I've had a couple of races that were super windy. A little twitchy, but I never needed to
get out of aero. I haven't noticed much difference between the 60 & 90 on the front from a handling perspective.

I would think you could handle the 90/disc unless you are uncomfortable with windy conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 6'2" 195. I've not ridden flos but I've ridden a HED3/disc in a severe wind warning at Wildflower. The winds came gusting through side canyons making it sketchy at points and causing me to come out of aero more often than I'd like, and also to not drink as much as I'd like (no speedfil/torpedo at the time) as I didn't want to take my hands off the bars. There were a couple gusts that scared the crap out of me, and I consider myself a fairly good bike handler (and it was the HED giving me issues... although at times I was going straight but leaning over into the wind... disc didn't give me any issues that I could feel). Maybe a shallower rim would have acted the same in those conditions, but if it were me and I could only get one front wheel, it would be the 60. I have absolutely no data to back this up, but I bet if you had to come out of aero 2 or 3 times to address wind gusts you've likely lost most of any aero benefit of a 90 over a 60 over the course of the ride.

If you could buy two, by all means get a 60 and 90. But if you're stuck with one it just seems that the 60 is the way to go. Rear I'd go 90 + cover. That would allow you to race non disc races (yeah, I know Kona and Cozumel but you never know!!) :)
Last edited by: ChrisM: Feb 10, 16 12:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:

Will ask the same question.....why not consider a 60/disc. Everything I've ever read and been told confirms you'll go the fastest with a disc on back (everything else being equal). After much research a few years ago, I went with a Zipp 900 disc on the back and a 404 (very similar to flo 60) on the front for my P4.....and after 4 years wouldn't change a thing. I see a lot of these combos all over the country.....don't recall seeing many 90/disc combos. Anyway, best combination for me.....straight courses, technical courses, including windy days.....never had a problem. To me, your best combo would be the 60/front and disc/rear....just another opinion.
Last edited by: gphin305: Feb 10, 16 14:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:

If these are strictly race wheels, and if you are comfortable with a 90mm wheel up front, then the 90/DISC is your fastest option. If high crosswinds have you a little sketched out, then I'd go with the 60/DISC. If you want to train on them too, then I'd go 60/90/Wheel Cover.

I hope that helps,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 or 90/Disc [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does help, thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps already mentioned but if you're traveling to races, having the flexibility of a disc (a la ITU Chicago last year) is key. If you show up to a race and disc's are banned (for one reason or another) you're toast. A cover at least provides flexibility.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 or 90/Disc [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How quickly do the Flo sales typically sell out? I just purchased a Disc/60 combo from someone here on ST, and would like to pick up a 90 or 60 rear to do some training rides.

Having just shelled out the money, I'd like to wait a little while before testing my girlfriend's sanity with my addiction hobby.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 or 90/Disc [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:
How quickly do the Flo sales typically sell out? I just purchased a Disc/60 combo from someone here on ST, and would like to pick up a 90 or 60 rear to do some training rides.

Having just shelled out the money, I'd like to wait a little while before testing my girlfriend's sanity with my addiction hobby.

It really depends on the time of year. Typically in season March-October things can go in 5-10 minutes, though we are improving that. In the off season product can be available for weeks or longer. It's impossible to say exactly but those number have been pretty consistent over the last few years.

I hope that helps,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply

Prev Next